• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Any links with better info? The WIHO link has different time line of activity than the reddit post. Still didn't see where anyone mentioned what actually happened, besides no kids hurt and suspect dead (which is good news in and of itself).

Been in a media blackout and only getting my news from INGO lately I guess

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Thanks for that... still doesn't make sense, but at least I know more of what happened.

Lifted from social media:

“So much has been said about the tragedy yesterday in regards to the troubled young man and his mother. For the most part, the comments have all been positive and said with a grateful heart. However, there are some of you saying the most awful and hurtful things, and, like many of you, I felt like I had to speak up because this touched me very personally. For those of you who don’t know, this young man’s mother was the first person to alert authorities about the situation. Can you even imagine how hard it must have been, knowing the possible, and perhaps even probable, outcome for her son? Let me give you my take.

My 13-year old nephew was right behind the door of the classroom closest to the confrontation. He heard every word, every glass being shattered and every gunshot. He heard our police officers begging and pleading with the young man, trying to convince him that it just wasn’t worth it. Then he heard what turned out to be the shot that took the life of a young man bullied for years.

Before he took his own life, the young man actually tried to open the locked door of my nephew’s classroom. Our wonderful police officers acted so quickly that they actually arrived at the school even before the gunman because of a telephone call... from the young man’s own mother. If Mary had not had the courage to make that phone call, my nephew, whom I love like my own child, might not be with us tonight. For that, I will be eternally grateful, and every parent with a child at that school owes her a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid. Shame on you who speak ill of her. I went to school with Mary, and I remember her being nothing but loving and kind. She made a sacrifice yesterday morning of which I cannot even imagine, and some of you choose to speak negatively of her? How dare you. Many of you making the most horrible of comments probably have a child that goes to Dennis Middle School. Your child may very well be alive tonight for you to tuck into bed because of the courage she showed in making that phone call. Shame on you, and I pray that God forgives you and touches your heart so that one day you may realize that you do, in fact, owe that young mother a debt of gratitude that you can never repay.”

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Perhaps this should be noted by other LE agencies in similar situations. "We train for active shooters, and we say we're not waiting for SWAT, we have to handle it," Branum said. "And that's exactly what happened."

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I know you are right, but when it comes to school shootings (which get all the press) I struggle to remember one where the kid came from an intact household.

For recent, I believe the scumbag in Santa Fe had still married parents. The others I did a quick check on can't tell one way or another.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well, at least he had the excuse of not seeing it work for Israel.

My point was a bit vague on that one. We have schools which are fixed fortifications, and no means of defense. The John Lott quote showed the GFZ problem statistically, but schools are the only GFZ where there is no means of meeting violence with equal violence. The Indiana Statehouse is a GFZ, except for all the State Troopers in there. Courthouse? Same-same only it's Deputy Sheriffs.

Schools have become fortifications, but with no means of repelling attack.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Glad to see Indiana LEO's werent pansies and ran
    In after the shooter. Saving countless lives no doubt.

Also whoever called in the tip that he was coming to the school should be praised. This saved lives according to the police. Bravo

We need to allow staff to be armed. This needs passed asap. Also we need to prevent doors and windows of schools from being able to be breached so easily. I dont care how much it cost, we need to secure school entry points. In addition to allowing staff to be armed.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Glad to see Indiana LEO's werent pansies and ran
    In after the shooter. Saving countless lives no doubt.

Also whoever called in the tip that he was coming to the school should be praised. This saved lives according to the police. Bravo

We need to allow staff to be armed. This needs passed asap. Also we need to prevent doors and windows of schools from being able to be breached so easily. I dont care how much it cost, we need to secure school entry points. In addition to allowing staff to be armed.

A lot of schools now have their own school resource officer. Which is a huge plus.

I also don’t like the words “staff to be armed”. How about allow the staff to exercise their 2nd amendment rights?

Cost is actually a big issue. Schools can’t even afford to give teachers a small raise, let alone buy more locks, better windows and such. I hate to say it, but I don’t see that happening without some kind of help from the Government. Or maybe donations from concerned parents.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    A lot of schools now have their own school resource officer. Which is a huge plus.

I also don’t like the words “staff to be armed”. How about allow the staff to exercise their 2nd amendment rights?

Cost is actually a big issue. Schools can’t even afford to give teachers a small raise, let alone buy more locks, better windows and such. I hate to say it, but I don’t see that happening without some kind of help from the Government. Or maybe donations from concerned parents.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have doubts about that. There have been many trainers (including in Indiana) who have offered school firearms training for free. The teachers/staff can be allowed to use their own firearms. Establishing policies are part of what bureaucrats are supposed to do anyway. I'm wondering if the entire program would cost less than the cost of a single resource officer.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I have doubts about that. There have been many trainers (including in Indiana) who have offered school firearms training for free. The teachers/staff can be allowed to use their own firearms. Establishing policies are part of what bureaucrats are supposed to do anyway. I'm wondering if the entire program would cost less than the cost of a single resource officer.

My wife is a teacher. And my father in law is on another school board. I know stuff :)

I don’t know about other corporations, but one local schools resource officer is on the sheriffs department payroll.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

A lot of schools mismanage their money. We have the money. Maybe they should legalize marijuana and make sure our schools get half of the tax money from it? Theres millions of dollars right there.

I agree with you about the " allow" part. Just the words I pickedtoday. I'm 100% in agreement that we shouldn't have to get governments permission to exercise a right. We are being oppressed by the federal and state governments on the 2nd for sure. .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Second school shooting in Indiana this year. How long before we do something about this?

Or will we just wait around for the anti's to do something about us?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Second school shooting in Indiana this year. How long before we do something about this?

Or will we just wait around for the anti's to do something about us?

I like what you're saying BW. What do you have in mind? I'm on-board with deterrence and making it an unacceptable risk to the ****bag murderer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We need to make it an unacceptable risk to raise or standby and watch mentally challenged youth progress their evil to the point of action. Parents and authorities should be held accountable for their neglect.

Where'd this kid get the gun that he came so near to using on his teachers and fellow students?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    We need to make it an unacceptable risk to raise or standby and watch mentally challenged youth progress their evil to the point of action. Parents and authorities should be held accountable for their neglect.

Where'd this kid get the gun that he came so near to using on his teachers and fellow students?
    Reports in the news last night said the kid managed to break into the soon to be step dad’s safe, got the guns, held the dude hostage and forced him to drive to the school. His own mom called police and warned them. Not sure we can chalk this up to negligence on the parents just yet.

Top Bottom