• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Cost is actually a big issue. Schools can’t even afford to give teachers a small raise, let alone buy more locks, better windows and such. I hate to say it, but I don’t see that happening without some kind of help from the Government. Or maybe donations from concerned parents.

Steer civil forfeiture proceeds to arming/training teachers? :dunno:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Second school shooting in Indiana this year. How long before we do something about this?

Or will we just wait around for the anti's to do something about us?

Considering that both of those cases involved guns stolen from a locked safe, my answer is that I would greatly prefer to let the anti's do what they propose than to let you do what you propose. Only a fool would continue to own a gun once the precedent was set that you could be held accountable for what someone else does with it. Your ideas are far more dangerous than the anti's.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How tough is it to keep your guns away from your murdering kids?

It's difficult for me to understand how any parent cannot outsmart their 13-14 year old, if they are even trying?

Why even have a safe if it isn't safe from the worst of threats?

Your child could be the next to be shot if we don't get these questions answered.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. I was getting in my safe one day and didn’t realize my daughter had snuck in behind. When I put in the combination she memorized the numbers. Later she told me she knew how to open my safe. I told her to show me and sure enough she did. I then changed the combo. She was 7 at the time. I’m more careful now and make sure they don’t see me but it’s easy to assume you can out smart a kid and really be fooling yourself. I prefer teaching my kids the value of life and safety.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

It's difficult for me to understand how any parent cannot outsmart their 13-14 year old, if they are even trying?

Your child could be the next to be shot if we don't get these questions answered.

Becuase MY kid would never do something like that. It’s a problem with OTHER kids

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Becuase MY kid would never do something like that. It’s a problem with OTHER kids

By the time my kids were 13 and 14, I told them the combo to my gun safe.:dunno:

While nobody can say they KNOW, with absolute, 100% certainty, that their kids won't do it, I judged their likelihood to do something bad was far less than the chance they would need to get to a gun to defend themselves.

There was a point when our son was about 15 that I changed the combo to the safe. He was hanging out with a kid that I didn't trust any farther than I could throw him. And he was a big boy. I trusted my son to safely handle firearms, but I didn't trust him not to cave to his friend pressuring him to open the safe so he could see what was inside.

I have what I consider to be almost a super-power now days; the ability to look at my kids with a degree of objectivity. I know they aren't perfect. I know they have flaws. I know what they are.

My parents had the same super-power, only at a much higher level. Their default assumption was that my brothers and I were monsters. Any attempt we made to prove them wrong was met with suspicion and skepticism. And looking back, they were probably right.:laugh:

I can't tell you how many people I have encountered who tell me glowing stories about their kid. Then you meet the little monster and can't believe they were talking about the same person.:n00b:

Narcissism is rampant in our society. Many people are so self absorbed that they can't see their own flaws, let alone their children's.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My point was about the kids being murderous, not having access to guns.

makes me wonder when i’ll Add gun cleaning to the list of chores for the boys.
    This morning we shot the pellet gun a few times before the bus. My son was shooting then he’d break it open, i’d Load it and he would fire again. Reminded me of the rescue scene in the Patriot

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    There was a point when our son was about 15 that I changed the combo to the safe. He was hanging out with a kid that I didn't trust any farther than I could throw him. And he was a big boy. I trusted my son to safely handle firearms, but I didn't trust him not to cave to his friend pressuring him to open the safe so he could see what was inside.

I'll never forget the time that my brother was showing our dad's .22 to his older friend. The friend took the rifle and pointed it at my chest, dry-fired it, pumped, and dry-fired again several times, obviously expecting us to be impressed at his ability for rapid fire. At the time, I was more scared that my dad would find out that we let someone dry-fire his vintage .22 than that I could have been killed.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Sure securing the guns away is great, but who doesn't know their kid is this disturbed?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    By the time my kids were 13 and 14, I told them the combo to my gun safe.:dunno:

While nobody can say they KNOW, with absolute, 100% certainty, that their kids won't do it, I judged their likelihood to do something bad was far less than the chance they would need to get to a gun to defend themselves.

I have what I consider to be almost a super-power now days; the ability to look at my kids with a degree of objectivity. I know they aren't perfect. I know they have flaws. I know what they are.

My parents had the same super-power, only at a much higher level. Their default assumption was that my brothers and I were monsters. Any attempt we made to prove them wrong was met with suspicion and skepticism. And looking back, they were probably right.:laugh:

I can't tell you how many people I have encountered who tell me glowing stories about their kid. Then you meet the little monster and can't believe they were talking about the same person.:n00b:

Narcissism is rampant in our society. Many people are so self absorbed that they can't see their own flaws, let alone their children's.

When I was on the road (a long, long time ago) and I would detain a carload of youth for whatever shenanigans they were into (usually drinking or weed), at least one of the parents would tell me their darling little angel couldn't have been doing all the bad things I said he or she did. It must have been the other hooligans' fault.

Given that society has moved further toward not making kids feel bad about themselves, no matter what, and everyone gets a trophy, I can only imagine how it is for LEOs working today.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just a few excuses I've read and heard personally from teachers through the years against guns in schools.

"Guns are dangerous and have no place in my classroom."
    "Teachers don't have any money to buy guns."
    "Teachers don't have money or time for training."
    "It's not the teachers responsibility to protect the students from a shooter."
    "Just put locks on the door and we will be fine."
    "I have a bucket of river rocks to throw at any potential threat."
    "If there was a gun in my classroom, a student might take it and use it on other students."
    "You can't expect to put this on teachers, they don't get paid enough for what they do now."

All I can say is - Get the **** out of my kids classroom. NOW!

How many training facilities have offered FREE classes to teachers after every school shooting? A **** load.
    Many places have also offered special deals and/or donated guns on top of the free training offers for teachers. So if you're a whinny ass teacher that want's to excuse away my kids life?

You are worthless and McDonalds is hiring. :rolleyes:

I of course wouldn't want to force people to carry that are not cut out to be around guns. I am also not forcing those same people to teach my kids. It's ultimately my choice on where my kids go to school. But if I were to send my kids to a GFZ Slaughterhouse School, then I should be locked up for child endangerment along with the entire school board for not protecting them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just a few excuses I've read and heard personally from teachers through the years against guns in schools.

"Guns are dangerous and have no place in my classroom."
    "Teachers don't have any money to buy guns."
    "Teachers don't have money or time for training."
    "It's not the teachers responsibility to protect the students from a shooter."
    "Just put locks on the door and we will be fine."
    "I have a bucket of river rocks to throw at any potential threat."
    "If there was a gun in my classroom, a student might take it and use it on other students."
    "You can't expect to put this on teachers, they don't get paid enough for what they do now."

All I can say is - Get the **** out of my kids classroom. NOW!

How many training facilities have offered FREE classes to teachers after every school shooting? A **** load.
    Many places have also offered special deals and/or donated guns on top of the free training offers for teachers. So if you're a whinny ass teacher that want's to excuse away my kids life?

You are worthless and McDonalds is hiring. :rolleyes:

I of course wouldn't want to force people to carry that are not cut out to be around guns. I am also not forcing those same people to teach my kids. It's ultimately my choice on where my kids go to school. But if I were to send my kids to a GFZ Slaughterhouse School, then I should be locked up for child endangerment along with the entire school board for not protecting them.

I always tell people like that...
    Did you hear about the hero teachers that died putting themselves between the shooter and their kids?
    Did you hear how dying for the kids didn't help them ONE SINGLE BIT. They STILL died.
    Wouldn't it have been nice for the teacher to be able to DO SOMETHING.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Been watching a press conference with Richmond police on WTHR about this shooting. The officer made a point of saying that the .45 handgun only had 7 round magazines (each of which were only loaded with 5 rounds) and that the Remington 700 rifle only held 5 rounds. So much for the gun grabbers' claims that "high capacity clipazines" need to be banned. Oh, and the shooter appeared to be loading the rifle one round at a time. Not sure how they arrived at that conclusion but that's what was relayed. The little wacko's mom was the real hero in this whole thing by calling the cops and tipping them off. And the principal feeding live information to the police probably saved some officers' lives as well.

Top Bottom