• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I just found out that I did something stupid. I feel embarrassed and ashamed of myself. My girlfriend's dad called me tonight to tell me that I left my handgun under her bed. It's bad enough that I apparently did this two nights ago and hadn't noticed, right? How did they know it was there? Her 7 year old son found it and told them. I am absolutely mortified. I can't believe that I didn't notice that my gun wasn't where it should have been for two days, but can almost forgive myself for that because I haven't worn clothes under which it conceals very well the last couple days, so I never even considered wearing it. Worse than that, I can't believe I left it where a child could get to it. I don't even know what to think or feel right now. I hadn't been wearing it to her house on the off chance that her son or nephews were up before I was and found it in the morning. I think I am going to have to go back to that policy. I can't believe I left a loaded gun where a 7 year old found out, and a 3 or 5 year old could have just as easily.

Anyone else ever make a dumb mistake like this one? How long until I don't feel like a complete idiot?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    How did her father react? I imagine he wasn't too happy.

I can tell you that this is a big fear of mine -- leaving a gun out where my son can get to it. I try to remain as vigilant as possible to make sure it doesn't happen. I keep everything locked up, but there are times when a gun or two is out of the safes.

You just need to learn from this. Thanks to your sharing the story, we can learn from it as well.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Well, her dad is an old Air Force guy, so isn't exactly a stranger to guns. He just told me that he picked it up, unloaded it and put it in a drawer. Haven't seen him in person yet, though.

I just can't believe I let this happen. This is the first time my gun hasn't been exactly where I thought it was when it wasn't on my body. It's usually on my hip or on my nightstand. It's kind of scary.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Buy a small lockable pistol case to take or leave there if they will allow it. Whatever you need to do to never let it happen again. Yikes, I'd feel like crap for a while but implementing a new plan and sharing your mistake with others should help. Glad it didn't turn tragic.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I'm a 20 year Navy vet and if my 7 year old grandson came out carrying a loaded hand gun I would be very upset. This from a gun nut. In all fairness though I am probably a little harsh, my stepdaughter shot herself.

If you are going to have the gun around a child, lock it when not under your control. You should probably get your girlfriend onboard and teach the child gun safety.

Good Luck and be careful.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm a 20 year Navy vet and if my 7 year old grandson came out carrying a loaded hand gun I would be very upset. This from a gun nut. In all fairness though I am probably a little harsh, my stepdaughter shot herself.

If you are going to have the gun around a child, lock it when not under your control. You should probably get your girlfriend onboard and teach the child gun safety.

Good Luck and be careful.

I don't think he came waslking out playing with it or anything. I think he just went and told them I forgot it there. I don't really know for sure though, I haven't gotten all of the details yet. I do imagine that the conversation wiould have been a lot less calm had he been playing with it, though.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I saw these really reasonably priced pop open handgun safes on sale at Bradis last week. Maybe you could pick one up to leave at your girls house for when you visit.

Don't beat yourself up too badly, the facts are this. You F$*ked up. Everyone makes mistakes. Thank God and be grateful no one got hurt. Learn from the experience to benefit all and take steps to avoid the same infraction in the future. Stand as a man just like you have here and own it. There really is little else you can do...

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I wonder why her Dad called instead of her? That would be a big red flag to me in a possible relationship.

You made a huge mistake, but why did her father call instead of her?

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    Carry the mistake with you, and NEVER let it happen again.

Get a gun you can conceal and carry everyday.

Get a gunlock/mini-safe for when you MUST leave the gun unattended. If you cannot do this, at the very least disable it and put it out of reach.

If you look around, you will find a post where a member's daughter found his Kel-tec and fired off a round while he was in the room. Be thankful a simliar situation did not happen to you - it very well could have. We all make mistakes, but it is very important that we don't make mistakes with our firearms.

Prepare for the worst on this forum. A couple of members are very unforgiving of mistakes with firearms. I for one appreciate you sharing the story.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just found out that I did something stupid. I feel embarrassed and ashamed of myself. My girlfriend's dad called me tonight to tell me that I left my handgun under her bed. It's bad enough that I apparently did this two nights ago and hadn't noticed, right? How did they know it was there? Her 7 year old son found it and told them. I am absolutely mortified. I can't believe that I didn't notice that my gun wasn't where it should have been for two days, but can almost forgive myself for that because I haven't worn clothes under which it conceals very well the last couple days, so I never even considered wearing it. Worse than that, I can't believe I left it where a child could get to it. I don't even know what to think or feel right now. I hadn't been wearing it to her house on the off chance that her son or nephews were up before I was and found it in the morning. I think I am going to have to go back to that policy. I can't believe I left a loaded gun where a 7 year old found out, and a 3 or 5 year old could have just as easily.

Anyone else ever make a dumb mistake like this one? How long until I don't feel like a complete idiot?

There are no small children in my house. There have been only a couple of times I've left my gun here rather than had it on my hip when I left, usually when I was in a hurry and being rushed to "gohurryupthey'regoingtoclose!!!"

I have not made that mistake elsewhere. In fairness, however, I also don't have a girlfriend at whose house I disrobe, so... :dunno:. I guess what confuses me is how you could get up, get dressed, and not realize your pistol wasn't where it belonged. Would you elaborate a little, if you can?

Please don't take that question as accusatory. I'm sure you're already beating the living hell out of yourself over this and that you're admitting to this here in a request for advice as to what to do, among other things. I bought 2 "Secure-It" brand lockable boxes, one of which I keep available if/when I go out of town on occasion. This seems to be the kind of advice you're getting, and I echo it. Cabela's has them for about $30.

As for that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach, I'm sure eventually it will go away. You got good advice on that, too. Let it pass, but don't ever forget how awful it felt and how much worse it could have been. Training is the key, and by that, I mean to agree with the girlfriend getting at a minimum some safety training and her siblings, too. When you go to her house again, be prepared for an icy reception from her dad and possibly from her. I'd guess that dad called you because he's the one the little brother told about the pistol-she may not have been home when it happened. (if she was, what was her little brother doing in her room, y'know?)

As for what to do about everything, I'm going to guess that you've already made clear to dad that this won't be happening again. It is possible that you'll be told that the gun doesn't come back into the house. Be ready for that possibility, and what you're going to do about it: leave it in your car vs. show him the lockbox vs. not go there anymore vs. whatever.

Good luck and as always,

Blessings,
    Bill

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Please buy a handgun safe and place it under the bed. They are cheap and effective. The 50 bucks you spend will be much cheaper than a lifetime of therapy and drink if a child kills his or her self or another.

Someone above is looking out for you. As far as her father is concerned there is no way in hell I would give you that gun back. Purchase another as the learning cost. Gotta feel the pain to learn.

Whew. Thanks for sharing - hopefully a child tragedy has been averted by your experience.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Now you got to make amends. Everyone makes mistakes, whets key is how we overcome them and learn from them. I have a son and a similar situation happen to me. Some how I pissed my wife off and ended up sleeping in my boys room while he slept on the couch. Next morning I get up, start the coffee and then my son is yelling at me because I left my gun in his room. Only 5 minutes passed since I got up. I am looking for carry holster for my underwear now. When I find one I will post pics.:D

Seriously, I all ways carry. Few exceptions, but I do carry an extra trigger lock in my saddle bags. I think if someone chooses to carry they should accept the responsibility to carry all the time. (I know this not possible for everyone but the mindset is what is important) Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    He lets you come in his house and disrobe in her room?

Um....

As for the weapon thing:

Get a holster with a retention strap, bolt the thing to your belt, do not remove it or the weapon. That should cover you so long as you do not have to leave the house via a windows, in a hurry, without your pants. Which, frankly, I am still thinking about in regards to my first question.

Oh, BTW, since she is so nice and he is a gun guy, why not just marry her now. You could do a lot worse...

Top Bottom