• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I wonder why her Dad called instead of her? That would be a big red flag to me in a possible relationship.

You made a huge mistake, but why did her father call instead of her?

He called because she was with me and didn't know yet. Her son found it and told him.

To Bill of Rights, I didn't realize it wasn't on my hip because it usually isn't when I am there. I woke up in the morning and left so I could come home and get ready for work. Didn't register that I was missing anything because I don't usually have it with me when I leave anyway. As far as permission to have it there in the future, it isn't his house. Itt's a weird living situation, but my girlfriend lives at her sister's house with her sister and her brother-in-law. Her parents are also staying there for a short time. Reason for the arrangements is that sister and husband are building a new house themselves, and dad is helping. Girlfriend is buying sister's house, and is living there now so she didn't have to move her son into an apartment and then into another house within a few months. She wanted to disrupt him as little as possible.

As for why it was under the bed, I slid it there when I took it off in case one of the kids woke up and came in the room before I was awake. I sleep fairly hard and may not notice, so I wanted it out of sight. It was only found there because the basement was leaking a bit and they were picking everything up off the floor.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Didn't register that I was missing anything because I don't usually have it with me when I leave anyway.

OWB holster with full retention strap. Sleep on the opposite hip. Keep yer pants on.

The pistol will go nowhere, the holster will stay on, and the belt will kep yer pants on. ;)

(BTW, I am a father of two girls and one boy, I MIGHT be speaking out of my imagined responses....)

I have slept with a Glock 23 in OWB and it is not hard to do. If I am pocket carrying, I will shift the whole rig into a cargo pocket and latch it closed.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Look, you're aware you f'ed up, I'm not gonna beat you up since I'm sure you're doing enough of that yourself.

Just dude, get a safe. In your car, in their house, whatever.

The dad, he may still be an issue. If you dig this girl, you best be making amends with him. Taking him to the range might be fun, and show that you know how to handle firearms responsibly. Take your girlfriend. Take the kid. Learning lessons for all.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    sounds like bad advice to me:):

To all of you shocked about her dad fiinding it under her bed. We are both divorced adults. What could he really say about it? it isn't even his house, so he can't pull the "my house, my rules" card.

true enough, but he could have played the "look at my new gun I found" card lol

Like someone else stated, don't beat yourself up too badly over it. Learn from it and move on.

:yesway:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    After I got done whuppin your ass for endangering my grandsons....

You know you messed up... but damn, you better be well aware of what COULD have happened.

Learn and educate others from your mistake.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    The question you asked at the end of your original post was "How long until I don't feel like a complete idiot?" I would say sometime after this thread ends LOL. Good Luck.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    To all of you shocked about her dad fiinding it under her bed. We are both divorced adults. What could he really say about it? it isn't even his house, so he can't pull the "my house, my rules" card.

Alright, you are not 23 and getting caught in his 18 year old's bedroom naked next to her teddy bear. That changes things a little bit. But at the same time, only a bit.

Sure, he can't tell you to get out of his house as it is not his, but at the same time he is still her father and you still stand to be disrespecting him. The disrespect is compounded in his current condition of living with his own daughter. Now not only is he castrated, but he is got you running around without yer pants on and unable to beat you for it.

Now, I could be WWWAAAAAYYYYYYY off here and if so, I apologize. Only you and he could know. But something to consider.

As for the beatings, I end mine here.

[/beating]

And now that the beating is done, let me commend you on sharing the story here. It takes big guts and maturity to do so. I will rep you for both.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    this is what you do dude...blame her for raising "such a nosey kid". remember- Its never your fault! Semper Passingthebuck.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    this is what you do dude...blame her for raising "such a nosey kid". remember- Its never your fault! Semper Passingthebuck.

Actually, I was impressed by the kid. He did EXACTLY what he was supposed to do. Eddie the Eagle would be impressed.

- comment removed for my lack of reading comprehension -

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sounds like a good kid. Sounds like the Eddie the Eagle program does well! :) Look, we all mess up. I know I have SEVERAL times. Thank the loving God nothing bad happened and learn from it. The people I dont trust are those who cannot admit to making a mistake. The LESS mistakes we make the better, but they happen from time to time and we can only prevent what we know.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    all of the above

and range time for the 7 year old with more safety instruction( for both of you)

I pretty much agree except for maybe the safety instructions for both. Sounds like the son had safety down pretty well. But I like the idea of a portable gun safe to keep in the car just in case I end up crashing somewhere for the night and there are kids or idiot adults.

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    i have left mine at my dads before . working on a car just forgot to get it befor i left. lucky for me it was found before my nephew got to it. it is not a good feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    You made a very bad mistake, but you realize the severity, so good for you. As another fallible human being, my stomach churns with you. The little boy did very well, also. Now, taking it from the Dad's point of view, you might be done bringing your weapon into my house. It's a full time job just protecting my loved ones from my own stupidity, without having to keep an eye on someone else. Don't mean to be mean, and I hope you'd understand.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    If i were you, i'd really beat myself up about this. Of course nothing bad happened, and it wasn't a big deal at all, but if you don't beat yourself up, you won't learn. This is definately a good time for a learning experience. Mistakes happen, but its best to learn from them when they do.

Didn't anybody ever teach you to keep your gun holstered near a ladies bed? If not her dad will find out and you'll be in trouble...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Carry the mistake with you, and NEVER let it happen again.

A big FAT +1! There's nothing wrong with feeling a bit mortified and feeling like an idiot. You should feel like a mortified idiot.

There are a some in this thread that seem to be a bit quick, imo, to tell you, hey you're only human. Hey, nobody's perfect. Don't beat yourself up, etc.

While that's all true in a sense, DON'T be too quick to rationalize this away and comfort yourself in your human falibility.

Savor those mortified and idiot feelings for a while to help etch this teacheable moment into your being (maybe set aside a week for this), THEN you can stop beating yourself up.

We're all glad nothing worse happened though. You can be thankful for that.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Thanks for sharing this post. Experience is what you get right after you need it. And Wisdom is learning from the exerience of others. You've allowed all of us to learn from your mistake.

It's good people who feel embarrassed in a situation like this.

Most of us are very lucky. When I look back on all the things I've done that could have easily ended in tragedy, and didn't, sometimes I get a chill in my spine. Use your feelings to make you safer, and thanks for making the rest of us a little wiser.

Top Bottom