• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Pull up your panties and carry the Glock 30. It's made for concealed carry.
    I carry a Glock 23 (with love handles) and while it's not totally 100% comfortable, it's not a problem.
    Carrying a gun isn't like carrying a cell phone. We have to endure some level of discomfort to be good citizens.
    Man up and leave the .380 at home.

Using the "standards" set in your statement, you're the ***** because you carry a smaller caliber...

I disagree with your statement and would advise him (or you) to leave the "macho" mentality at the door. Instead, he should carry what he feels most comfortable shooting and carrying.

A 230 grain bullet does him no good if he can't hit anything with it or doesn't ever have it on him. Plenty of people have died from .22LR's, yet alone a .380. If he practices enough, he can become just as effective with a .380 as he would a .45.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Instead, he should carry what he feels most comfortable shooting and carrying.

I would argue that instead of carrying what you're most comfortable with, carry what you are best with. See which you can pull and put 3 rounds in the "A" box with the fastest at 7 yards. Carry that one.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I certainly agree to carry what 'works' for ya. Each person's choice, and we all attempt our best 'justification' for that choice. No need, really. As noted, virtually any gun that you have with you is better than any gun that you don't.

Me, to carry 'tiny', I'll stick with the P-11. Virtually the same size in every dimension as the P238, twice the mag capacity, and 9mm instead of .380. The other 'tiny' gun has the same about the same capacity as the P238, weighs slightly more, but utilizes the even larger .45 ACP.

I've personally found few instances where I can't make a larger gun work, but there have been some.

Certainly can't fault anyone for picking a Sig. Fine handguns.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not to say you don't know what your talking about but I don't understand how 9mm is weaker than .380. Did I miss some major progress with that caliber. I would just think no way any .380 would be more powerful than 9mm+p? Please let me know the details of what led you to believe this.

No but you did fail reading comprehension. I dont see anywhere he said that 380 surpassed 9. He said there have been advancements in the round... not that it surpassed the 9. Big diff. ]"

I would argue that instead of carrying what you're most comfortable with, carry what you are best with. See which you can pull and put 3 rounds in the "A" box with the fastest at 7 yards. Carry that one.

THIS! I lug around a 5" 1911 when I can because I can drive tacks with it. I step down to as small as a G27 when I need to conceal, but I'm nowhere near as accurate with it.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Sorry for the rant....
    9mm, 38spl, 40, 45, etc... is theee "standard" for carry.
    I don't care if somebody carry's a larger caliber than me. Good for him!
    I don't even care if you carry a .380, just don't go touting it as being just as effective as 45acp when you know it's not.
    I think you've seen too many James Bond movies.

What's wrong with a little bit of discomfort? I've been carrying full & mid-size guns for years.
    It's fine. You will get used to it. It's a gun in your pants for Pete's sake!
    A close relative of mine appendix carries a Glock 21C (45acp full size) every where he goes, and has for 20 years! Man up!

Every one is so hyper sensitive to "carrying with comfort" now-a-days and getting little pocket pistols that are simply not as effective.
    I guess I'm just tired of all the little pocket guns being touted as the best thing to carry because they are more comfortable.
    I think the manly-ness is draining out of our hobby and the proliferation of "pocket guns" is the proof.
    Maybe it's just a fad... I hope so.

Lastly, I see a lot of shooters training and shooting competitions with full size or mid-size guns, but then carry a 6 shot 9mm or 380 pocket gun... that just makes no sense to me.
    Carry the gun you train and compete with, not it's little half cousin.

Don't let a little discomfort stand in your way. Carry the Glock 30. It's the real deal!
    I would carry one, but I like the extra capacity of the 40 cal Glock 23.

I think everyone that carry's a .380 or smaller needs to re-think their primary carry weapon and man up MACHO style!:rockwoot:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Indy, I dont think anyone has said a .380 is AS GOOD AS a .45. I think the term "adequate" has been tossed around. Maybe you missed that?

Besides, a 380 in your pocket every day is better than a 45 in the vault at home because its not as comfy or easy to carry.

And if you rate "manliness" based on the caliber someone carries, you're the one with the problem. So you are saying Kyle Lamb isnt macho? I know he EDCs a Bodyguard .380 per a comment he made during one of his presentations at the NRAAM last weekend.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    A 230 grain bullet does him no good if he can't hit anything with it or doesn't ever have it on him. Plenty of people have died from .22LR's, yet alone a .380. If he practices enough, he can become just as effective with a .380 as he would a .45.

this is what I was referring to about 380 being touted as good as 45acp.

IMHO, a guy like Kyle Lamb should know better than to carry a .380... sorry, just say'n.
    He is very manly, no doubt.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    this is what I was referring to about 380 being touted as good as 45acp.

IMHO, a guy like Kyle Lamb should know better than to carry a .380... sorry, just say'n.
    He is very manly, no doubt.

Once again, another fail in reading comprehension... It was said that HE would be as effective with a 380, not that the 380 would have the same effect as a 45. Phrased another way, "pocket pistols are a B*** to shoot, 1911s arent. But with enough practice, you can consistently shoot the right 380 as accurately as a 45."

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've said this in a couple of other threads but, once again...caliber is only 1/2 the equation. the size of the pistol, and how that effects how well you can shoot it, draw it, etc because of grip size, trigger reach, whether the safety ends up in the web your hand where it's hard to disengage...and so on are WAY more important than differences in pistol ballistics. Most deer hunters can tell stories about deer running away with 12gauge holes in their lungs&heart. Those with combat experience may have seen similar behavior in people.
    Carry a balance of what you can shoot best and what you can conceal.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Carry a balance of what you can shoot best and what you can conceal.

I like that.
    Most people shoot full size & mid-size guns the best.
    Look at all the people at Gunsite and other training schools. Nobody shows up there and runs 3000 rounds through a .380 pocket pistol.
    A Glock 19, SR9, M&P, etc... are all guns viable for training, competition, and yes... conceal.
    Deal with a little discomfort and carry/conceal what you shoot best.
    It's a gun in your pants. Deal with it.

I don't know what's gotten into me tonight... I feel MACHO! :draw:

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I understand the thinking of ONE attacker, but odds are that if you are singled out there will be more than one attacker. I live close to Indy and gangs are here, like most places, and I have NEVER heard of one person who said they had too much ammo after an armed conflict. You being in combat most likely agree with this. I prefer a full sized gun with at least 13 rounds plus a spare mag or two. No offence, but never could develop a taste for the baby pistols. Last year I bought a Glock 27 4th gen with a lot of ammo at a good price. and within five days traded it for a Glock 22 3rd gen but kept the ammo. I can cc carry the Glock 22 (big guy).

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Ask yourself a simple question, and be honest when answering. Is that really the gun you want when your life is on the line? It's your life and only you can decide. I find it hard to believe that there are more than a handful of people who actually shoot a mousegun better than a compact or full size. Gun owners seem to spend an awful lot of time talking themselves into or out of something. If you have to work that hard to find justification for something maybe it's a bad idea.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry a 238 most of the time. I found that I was leaving bigger guns at home when I went to work. And I do agree most mouse guns aren't accurate, but the Sig shoots nearly just like a full size. I am very accurate with it. End of the day, I'd rather have a gun on me than not.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    A smart man said here on INGO before, carrying a handgun is a compromise. Every handgun caliber sucks. If you're carrying a handgun to protect your life, and your family, why would you compromise even more by carrying a smaller caliber gun that has less rounds? Rounds = time in a gun fight.

I will not compromise any further. I will not carry anything less than a 9mm. I will not carry a gun that has less than 10 rounds, and I will always carry a spare mag.

A gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. Want comfortable? Get a better holster and belt.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Carry what you are most likely capable of stopping
    a threat with, (meaning you've properly practiced with it a lot)scratch the racking shotgun advice, get a proper holster and belt. I personally see. 380 as absolutely pointless in that it is less damaging and more expensive than other options. Just my :twocents:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A smart man said here on INGO before, carrying a handgun is a compromise. Every handgun caliber sucks. If you're carrying a handgun to protect your life, and your family, why would you compromise even more by carrying a smaller caliber gun that has less rounds? Rounds = time in a gun fight.

I will not compromise any further. I will not carry anything less than a 9mm. I will not carry a gun that has less than 10 rounds, and I will always carry a spare mag.

A gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. Want comfortable? Get a better holster and belt.

QFT.

Top Bottom