• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... What is wrong with carrying a .380 as my primary carry that can meet the FBI's minumun penetration of 12"? ...

Yes, .380 loads and bullet designs have improved, however, the only load I'm aware of that will do this ^^^ with some amount of reliability is .380 FMJ. The 380 hollowpoints that do get to 12" don't expand all that much, so you'd have to decide whether they were worth the additional cost or not.

When I carry a 380 as a BUG, it's usually loaded with XTPs. If they expand a bit, great, if not, I'm still happy with the higher quality control over garden variety FMJ plinking loads

==>> 380ACP

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Want comfortable? Get a better holster and belt.

Definitely, right belt and right holster = comfortable with most hand guns of reasonable power.
    Almost anyone can carry a reasonable sized gun/caliber without a problem if they put the right pieces of gear together and the time to get comfortable with it. Now, that said, what you carry is up to you of course.

I have a glock 21 that i carry but find myself carrying my .380 because it is more comfortable.

There are a few things in between those extremes :stickpoke:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Many here may change their opinions as they get older. For 20 ~25 years I carried a Colt Double Eagle (8 round mag. 45 ACP) as my EDC. I am now rapidly approaching 73 (couple weeks) and often find it to be uncomfortable and harder to conceal. I now wear much lighter clothing, have arthritis, etc. So I find myself carrying a 38 special derringer quite a bit! My son and I collect firearms so have many to chose from including 22 LR, .380's, 9mm, 38 auto, 38 spl, 45acp, .357, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 44 mag. and several foreign military rounds.

However, I have looked at the ballistics of the newer 9mm ammo and found that although it is not as effective as the new 45 ACP ammo, it is just about as effective as the old 45 ACP ball. I would never have carried a 9mm 15 ~ 20 years ago. I have looked at several micro compact 9's and believe I will purchase a Kimber Solo later this year. It is a full metal gun (one of my requirements) feels great in my hand, and all reports have indicated it is plenty accurate for SD carry. I have shot many firearms extensively so have no issue with handling a micro compact.

I can't argue shot placement is important BUT I can't think of any situation I would be in that would require shooting at a person at more than 30 FOOT. Actually, I think it would be pretty hard to convince a jury that it was self defense at any longer range. Any experienced shooter should be able to put every shot in a BG's chest at 30 foot with any firearm that has a rifled barrel! Looked at .380's, just can't bring myself to step down that far in stopping power, each to his own though.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Yes, .380 loads and bullet designs have improved, however, the only load I'm aware of that will do this ^^^ with some amount of reliability is .380 FMJ. The 380 hollowpoints that do get to 12" don't expand all that much, so you'd have to decide whether they were worth the additional cost or not.

When I carry a 380 as a BUG, it's usually loaded with XTPs. If they expand a bit, great, if not, I'm still happy with the higher quality control over garden variety FMJ plinking loads

==>> 380ACP

Don't have time to post the link, but google Shooting the Bull's Ammo quest video for .380...you'll learn stuff.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Don't have time to post the link, but google Shooting the Bull's Ammo quest video for .380...you'll learn stuff.

Been there, done that. I like some of their stuff, but when it comes standardized ammo test results, there are sources I trust more.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Let me be the first to say that unless you will stand in front of me and let me shoot you in the eye with my pellet gun, then that is proof a pellet gun is just as good for carry as a <insert caliber here>.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Let me be the first to say that unless you will stand in front of me and let me shoot you in the eye with my pellet gun, then that is proof a pellet gun is just as good for carry as a <insert caliber here>.
    I get what you're saying, but if I'm strung out on heroine and am trying to harm you then I doubt a pellet gun will deter me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Every handgun is a pile of compromises that only make sense to the person that carries it. A .380 that you can shoot well is far more effective than the 9mm you left at home. But, if you can carry something bigger, it's worth looking into how to make it comfortable if it's not. I also have a Sig P238 and love the thing. It's a great little gun that disappears in a pocket holster and is easy to shoot well. For daily carry though, I usually go bigger. Right now it's generally a 1911 of some flavor, but at other times it could be a Glock or CZ if that's what I'm in to then. Any of them can be carried comfortably with the right gear. The biggest thing that keeps me from carrying a full size gun is how damaging they can be to the furniture or car seats. A Glock can be a bit softer around the edges but a checkered MSH on a full size 1911 can chew things up very quickly.

My recommendation is simply to carry what you shoot best and then invest in the best carry rig you can get. After that, try to wear it out through practice and carry.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Many here may change their opinions as they get older. For 20 ~25 years I carried a Colt Double Eagle (8 round mag. 45 ACP) as my EDC. I am now rapidly approaching 73 (couple weeks) and often find it to be uncomfortable and harder to conceal. I now wear much lighter clothing, have arthritis, etc. So I find myself carrying a 38 special derringer quite a bit! My son and I collect firearms so have many to chose from including 22 LR, .380's, 9mm, 38 auto, 38 spl, 45acp, .357, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 44 mag. and several foreign military rounds.

However, I have looked at the ballistics of the newer 9mm ammo and found that although it is not as effective as the new 45 ACP ammo, it is just about as effective as the old 45 ACP ball. I would never have carried a 9mm 15 ~ 20 years ago. I have looked at several micro compact 9's and believe I will purchase a Kimber Solo later this year. It is a full metal gun (one of my requirements) feels great in my hand, and all reports have indicated it is plenty accurate for SD carry. I have shot many firearms extensively so have no issue with handling a micro compact.

I can't argue shot placement is important BUT I can't think of any situation I would be in that would require shooting at a person at more than 30 FOOT. Actually, I think it would be pretty hard to convince a jury that it was self defense at any longer range. Any experienced shooter should be able to put every shot in a BG's chest at 30 foot with any firearm that has a rifled barrel! Looked at .380's, just can't bring myself to step down that far in stopping power, each to his own though.

Larry, I get what you are saying, but a derringer? I would feel much better with a good .380 (which I don't like) than a 2 shot derringer.

As to the 30 feet thing, you realize that is only 10 yards right? A whole lot of justified self-defense shootings happen in that range and some considerably farther.

The following is from a recent Rangemaster newsletter.http://www.rangemaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/2014-04-Newsletter.pdf

PAGE
    TACTICAL TALK
    VOLUME 18, ISSUE 4
    Engagement Distances for Private Citizen Shootings
    The other assumption is that a private citizen would no
    t be justified in shooting someone beyond a car length
    away, as that person would not be immediate deadly thre
    at. In the last few years I have had three private citi-
    zen students who were forced by circumstance to engage
    at 15, 17, and 22 yards. In each case the shooting
    was absolutely necessary in order to save innocent life.
    In two of those the student was shooting to protect the
    life of a family member who is being attacked in the th
    ird case the student shot to defend himself and his six-
    year-old daughter, both of whom are under fire. These
    were absolutely necessary shootings, they were legally
    justified, and fortunately the students were
    good enough shots to pull it off

Top Bottom