• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wow, some of you guys are doing well! Hat's off to you. Nice way to go. Hasn't really worked out that well for me. The 401K's I was told would double every seven years or whatever haven't done squat in the last 25 years. I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck with very little discretionary income. I work hard in a field that should have made me much more financially secure, but just never could land those big bucks "they" say are out there.

My wife does not contribute to our income so I realize that is part of the issue, but I don't anticipate retiring until I am at least 67-68 years old. Maybe this is why I don't have the problem of guns multiplying like other INGO'ers do.:)

That said, I am happy in life, marriage, family and I have faith that in the end it will work out.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Wow, some of you guys are doing well! Hat's off to you. Nice way to go. Hasn't really worked out that well for me. The 401K's I was told would double every seven years or whatever haven't done squat in the last 25 years. I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck with very little discretionary income. I work hard in a field that should have made me much more financially secure, but just never could land those big bucks "they" say are out there.

My wife does not contribute to our income so I realize that is part of the issue, but I don't anticipate retiring until I am at least 67-68 years old. Maybe this is why I don't have the problem of guns multiplying like other INGO'ers do.:)

That said, I am happy in life, marriage, family and I have faith that in the end it will work out.

Money is a very poor yardstick for success in life.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Today was my last day of employment (by my choice), and now im looking at the next 40+ years wondering what I should do to keep myself from going nuts. Well... more nuts.

Im 28

In case nobody has told you yet today, let me just say, I hate you.:coffee:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Long walks in the park.
    Big parties for INGO folks. Your place.
    Repeat.

You need a bucket list.

Did someone say party??

66078_show_default.png

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    I've been retired since 2005. I ride a bicycle every day that I can. Parked the motorcycle in favor of a scooter. Work a few crosswords every day. My job jar is just as full today as it was when I retired. Just finished putting a flexplate on my old suburban. Now I need to head over to fix the son's dryer. Replacing a few hours of work a day hasn't been a problem for me. The days are still too short.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We are designed to be creative and problem solvers. Ignoring that part of your being will generally leave you a depressed substance abuser or a crazy old guy that talks to himself and lives with hundreds of cats.

I can certainly appreaciate many of the above posts with areas of interest. (especially the aviation and shooting interests) They will give some satisfaction. Since you are a young man and are anticipating a long retirement, I would suggest you will tire of anything in time. To be able to lay on your death bed satisfied, you need to find something bigger than yourself and spend your life in that pursuit. Pursue truth. You will find peace in the reality that you have walked through this life and made a difference. As mentioned above, money does not mean you made a difference.

Look at all the Hollywood types who have time and money, but quickly become deeply depressed because they know that they do not participate in anything but self serving pursuits. The ones who stay mentally and physically healthy are the ones who pursure relationships where they become significant in people's lives.

Last edited:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Open a small gun shop. Do something you love. Don't do a massive store where you have hundreds of thousands in inventory, just something small where all your buddies can come hang out, and you sell a gun every here and there to make it profitable.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Anyone smart enough to be financialy able to retire at 28 doesn't need advice from a schlump like me.

Here it is any way.

Go do something you love to do. Enjoy life.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I am going to retire by the end of next May after 40 years at the same place. Finding something to occupy my time is still my biggest concern. I might end up going back after a few months and work half time doing the same thing I am doing right now if I get bored out of my skull. My biggest fear is what impact O'Bummercare will have on me sometime down the road when I hit 65 or 66 or whenever I have to go on to Medicare.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Buying defense contractors pre-911? And you're 28? That would have made you 16 at the time... did you have help in doing so?

Yes and no. Yes I had a parent doing the actual buy/selling due to my minor status, but the which stocks to get came from me, as did the money (odd jobs, birthday cash, etc). Basically in middle school we did an experiment where each kid was given 50$ of pretend money and told to invest. The teacher would track and the team that did the best won something. I didn't win, but I was hooked from that point and every chance I got I did it on my own. The 9/11 thing was more dumb luck than skill (my theory was based on history we were due to start another war sometime soon. I was wrong obviously...)

Like I said, I was lucky to have parents who thought I was nuts but we're willing to accept it was my money and I could do whatever I wanted with it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... now im looking at the next 40+ years wondering what I should do to keep myself from going nuts. ...

What im looking for from y'all is suggestions. ... If you were in my shoes what would you do?

Knowing your purpose/mission/goal in life might help.

If you're rudderless for the next 40+ yrs, it won't matter what you do. You'll just run through one thing after another as you get bored with each.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Yes and no. Yes I had a parent doing the actual buy/selling due to my minor status, but the which stocks to get came from me, as did the money (odd jobs, birthday cash, etc). Basically in middle school we did an experiment where each kid was given 50$ of pretend money and told to invest. The teacher would track and the team that did the best won something. I didn't win, but I was hooked from that point and every chance I got I did it on my own. The 9/11 thing was more dumb luck than skill (my theory was based on history we were due to start another war sometime soon. I was wrong obviously...)

Like I said, I was lucky to have parents who thought I was nuts but we're willing to accept it was my money and I could do whatever I wanted with it.
    Wow it is funny you mention this because I can remember doing the same thing in middle school. Pretty sure I lost in it as well lol but I was hooked on paintball and football at the time lol.
    My only suggestion being 3 years younger lol would be to do something with a purpose and a drive to make a difference as others have stated.
    Congrats though and best of luck lol as I am thinking about my retirement and aiming for 55..

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I remember doing that in economics. I did real well. Got hooked too. I invested a lot of my money over the next few years. After 9/11 I almost lost it all. Thankfully I rearranged my portfolio to a less aggressive approach and did good enough with a great temporary job I fell into to buy a house and some more guns :): It was a risky option but it worked out for us.
    i certainly didn't make enough to retire because of a large nest egg. It wasn't a fortune. I've never felt likely amount of money was enough. At least no amount I've ever had. I've always wanted more.
    My truthful advice to anyone young and healthy enough to keep working would be to do it while you can. Forget about whatever pot of gold you have stashed and add to it by making more money. Take the big risks while your young and have the years and health to bounce back from any failed attempts (lessons learned). Maybe your special situation will allow you to never have to work for anyone ever again. But I'd build something that brings in money constantly and challenges you to build it bigger. Then move to the next challenge in life.
    enjoy everyday! The best fortune is youth and good health!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wouldn't retire. You've tried a career you didn't like (been there with the IT thing as well), now find one you do like. You've got the time and money to take classes and dabble in different fields until you find something that interests you, you've got the time and ability to go without an income to do apprenticeships and internships. I'd take advantage of that opportunity and get back to being productive and purposeful.

Top Bottom