• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Buy a nice 22 bolt gun, a nice 22 target pistol, keep your CZ and a carry gun. Now that I have a suppressor on my 22 rifle it's almost all I want to shoot and it's cheap. When you retire I'm sure your network of shooting friends can help scratch your itch when it comes to trying out new guns rather than buying and selling. You can also get a membership with a nice range or conservation club so you don't have to pay range fees all the time.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Some cartridges are at the edge of reloading economics like 9mm, others like 44 mag, aren't. It's really just a matter of what you want to shoot so if you like 9mm and 22lr and keep your guns in that area, reloading probably isn't a good option to save money. The 45 ACP is one of those where the size of the bullet and it's ease of casting make the economics work for me.

Exactly, one can cast pistol and rifle bullets and reload for about 25% of the cost of ammo at today's prices.
    Using Lee molds, sizers, dies and one of their economy priced progressive or turret presses it doesn't cost that much to reload.
    9mm reloading costs.
    S&B primers at 20 bucks a thousand.
    Pound of bullseye 21.00
    A bottle of Lee alox 6.00
    Mine free lead at the range you shoot at.

So bullet costs are let's say a penny a piece for alox.
    1lb of Bullseye will load in excess of 2,000 rds of 9mm at 20 bucks
    Priners are 2 cents a piece.

So what 2 bucks a 50 round box....
    And if you didn't want to use Alox you could powder coat for about the same cost.

Powder coating..
    Plasit coolwipp containers... Free
    One toaster oven bought at Good Will... 15 bucks
    Harbor Freight red powder coat.. 6 bucks a bottle. It will do thousands and thousands of bullets.

You still can't buy center-fire ammo anywhere close to what you can cast and load ammo.

From a Dillon, Saeco guy, Lee reloading equipment gets it done..

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, you can get a "retirement job". Work for 2 or 3 days a week. You were planning on living without that money. So the money will be extra.
    Also keep you busy.
    Seems to me that guys that retire and sit around, don't last as long.
    Guys that keep busy, seem to last longer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The mundane repetition of lever pulling (at least for m anyway) has no draw.

I find it's sort of like chopping wood, although less so. A meditation in movement. I can easily crank out 100-130 in an hour. I usually load 100, then play around online or whatever, then do more if I feel like it. 2-3 hours a week is easy to find the time to do, but I'm not as "retired" as you are. :P I suspect most folks aren't as busy as you when retired. Or employed, for that matter.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I'm going to argue it. :P

First, don't buy a progressive. Buy a turret. Especially if you're in the situation where you have more free time than free money, buy turret. Shoot less than 1k rounds a month? But a turret. Just learning how to reload? Buy a turret. Want to make caliber swaps easy? Buy a turret...
    :yesway: BINGO

I actually sold the LNL Progresssive after retirement. Whether it be cartridge or shotshell, I now have free time to relaxingly load a tray at a time whenever the urge occurs; it's nothing like in the past working life when free time was at a premium. That said one also has to enjoy the art of reloading; for if they don't, they have no business engaging in it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I find it's sort of like chopping wood, although less so. A meditation in movement. I can easily crank out 100-130 in an hour. I usually load 100, then play around online or whatever, then do more if I feel like it. 2-3 hours a week is easy to find the time to do, but I'm not as "retired" as you are. :P I suspect most folks aren't as busy as you when retired. Or employed, for that matter.

This has been said by others I know who enjoy this Zen like activity.

Space is an issue. My shop is full. No junk either. That is not m on the phone. Ingo member we are building a 383 small block chev. stroker for.
    kmBR1Fe.jpg

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I'm going to argue it. :P

First, don't buy a progressive. Buy a turret. Especially if you're in the situation where you have more free time than free money, buy turret. Shoot less than 1k rounds a month? But a turret. Just learning how to reload? Buy a turret. Want to make caliber swaps easy? Buy a turret. Progressives make more sense for high volume shooters dedicated to one load.

You can get a Lee turret and dies and easily have everything you need to start for under $300.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/6...Metallic+Reloading+Presses&utm_content=622290

then add a digital scale if you don't want to mess with the balance beam scale: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...50-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity

Dies. Calipers. A bullet puller for mistakes. You're set.

I can load 230 gr .45 Auto for roughly 16 cents a round. Somewhere between 2500-3000 rounds loaded, I just paid for the above reloading kit and accessories.

Loading pistol rounds is not hard. Can you can follow a cake mix recipe and end up with cake? Do you know which end of the screw driver goes in your hand and which touches the screw? Can you read calipers? Can you pull a lever? Then you can reload.

This in Ace’s.
    When you decide to retire you will no longer be on the clock so if it takes you 24 hours to reload 200 rounds, what is your labor cost? It’s like training or competing in matches it’s another way to enjoy your new hobby. But it is your decision.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    OK fellas. Lets look at this. I am about his age. I looked at reloading several times. The initial coasts involved for a decent progressive set up is a bit off putting. Add in all the needed accessory's to make this process as easy as possible (lights/tables/shelve/bits pieces and so on) and the initial investment will never be fully re-couped in the very small savings some people see in 9mm/45ACP. Add in the learning curve and the time required and it just does not add up for folks our age.

This can be argued I am sure. And might be but the numbers are right there. For me the time factor weighs in heavily. For some this might be a great way to enter retirement.

I started filling the ammo cabinets just before sandy hook. There were a few set backs due to the media driven frenzy's we have had but I now have enough locked down to keep me rolling for a long long time. There are deals if you watch and are ready. The expense has been spread out over several years.

Just my opinion.

I actualy agree with you CM as it applies to now. Because ammo is so cheap once again that I believe to shoot the same quality of ammo that I enjoy, retail cost vs reloading cost, it would cost me more to reload. So I HIGHLY recomend to Doddg (and have before) that instead of buying new guns that he will most likely sell anyways or trade for other ones, that he buy up cases of 9mm ammo now. Instead of buying another $500 to 900 pistol buy ammo. Yeah it's not as cool but WHEN ammo prices go back up (inflation if you will just like food and other COL) you will have bought low and saved money in the long run.
    Now if you do not listen to this good advice and stock up on ammo, then yes buy reloading equipment and start saving your brass and putting away a jug of powder every couple of months maybe. That way for the long run you will have ammo.
    I have reloading equipment because I believe eventualy you wont be able to buy ammo. But I also am stocked up.

I agree with these guys, and based on the OP's posting history, etc that he would not reload either (though I could be wrong, and its not because I don't think he could do it, but it is rather a case of just don't think he would do it).

Buy a nice 22 bolt gun, a nice 22 target pistol, keep your CZ and a carry gun. Now that I have a suppressor on my 22 rifle it's almost all I want to shoot and it's cheap. When you retire I'm sure your network of shooting friends can help scratch your itch when it comes to trying out new guns rather than buying and selling. You can also get a membership with a nice range or conservation club so you don't have to pay range fees all the time.

This is also good advice, and largely why I have consolidated calibers, and platforms, etc myself. Stock up, focus on some things, and as others said, spend a few hours a week at a part time job and I'd think you would have it covered (OP I suspect you could tutor and make some decent money having been a teacher for years, or there is always the welcome to Home Depot route).

Also as others have stated, we are in a great time for ammo prices (especially on stuff like 9mm). Buy it up now and stock some back. If needed you can always turn it back into money later if needed, and we are at rock bottom pricing currently, that won't stay this way. Stash it away in your garage better than you did the last case, and you'll be long retired before you find it...

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Also, you can get a "retirement job". Work for 2 or 3 days a week. You were planning on living without that money. So the money will be extra.
    Also keep you busy.

I did this when I retired, it's worked out well.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Tying trout flies was that for me...It was just so hard to get them to hold still when I was putting the wings on them...Especially if I had food laying around....

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Live long enough to live off dead relatives like I'm doing.

1. That is everyone's dream!

Ok, I'm retired as well and I took a long look at my retirement budget and Yes, I did up my income with some part time work for my hobbies and/or bad habits.
    I no longer have thoughts of not being able to live in my own form of comfort and happy.
    You probably worked most of your life to enjoy what you like I'm guessing so I'm thinking you'll probably be content on a new endeavor in your life.

2. Worked 2 jobs all my life until about 5 yrs. ago.

You have a wife to consider her thoughts as well and I'd look for a way to support your hobby. I'm not being cynical but it sounds as she doesn't look ahead far enough to help you enjoy parts of your life. Maybe you and her can find a way to continue your little gun happy.

3. We are very content with what we have and our life together but she has never been a part of my hobbies.
    4. I remember when the kids were small and she would accompany me with the kids to antique car auctions: the ultimate in sacrifice and love. :laugh:

I actualy agree with you CM as it applies to now. Because ammo is so cheap once again that I believe to shoot the same quality of ammo that I enjoy, retail cost vs reloading cost, it would cost me more to reload. So I HIGHLY recomend to Doddg (and have before) that instead of buying new guns that he will most likely sell anyways or trade for other ones, that he buy up cases of 9mm ammo now. Instead of buying another $500 to 900 pistol buy ammo. Yeah it's not as cool but WHEN ammo prices go back up (inflation if you will just like food and other COL) you will have bought low and saved money in the long run.
    Now if you do not listen to this good advice and stock up on ammo, then yes buy reloading equipment and start saving your brass and putting away a jug of powder every couple of months maybe. That way for the long run you will have ammo.
    I have reloading equipment because I believe eventually you wont be able to buy ammo. But I also am stocked up.

5. I agree.

6. I only pay $13/mo. for range fees.

Also keep you busy.

7. I am not an idle person, not my nature. I always said I'd be a greeter at Sam's Club, but with the arthritis I know that's not going to happen.
    8. I always said I'd substitute teach after retiring, but they contracted out the subbing to a 3rd party and I would literally get half of what it used be and not worth my time.
    9. I have thought about perhaps being a part-time driver for some company (car lot, Ziebeart, or whatever).

I did this when I retired, it's worked out well.

10. I know many retired guys at church who all have some part-time job. I tease them that they work for cigarettes or beer money, or their gambling debts. :rofl: Did I mention with my eclectic humor how I have no friends? :laugh:

I agree with these guys, and based on the OP's posting history, etc that he would not reload either (though I could be wrong, and its not because I don't think he could do it, but it is rather a case of just don't think he would do it).

11. No reloading. I spent from my youth through my 50s working with my hands, and in my adult teaching career, in the summers doing drywall, roofing, painting, framing, basic remodeling and the like b/c I had to earn more money b/c the teacher salary didn't pay all the bills. (started out in 1975 at $6000/yr. and after 10 yrs., a whopping $12,000!
    12. I just bought a house that is all white: walls, ceilings (of course) trim, doors. When younger I would have already put wonderful colors in it like our last house. Not going to happen now. Just don't have the drive, inclination or body for it. Last room I painted should have taken 5 hours: took me 8 hrs. and hurt me bad. :laugh:

This is also good advice, and largely why I have consolidated calibers, and platforms, etc myself. Stock up, focus on some things, and as others said, spend a few hours a week at a part time job and I'd think you would have it covered (OP I suspect you could tutor and make some decent money having been a teacher for years, or there is always the welcome to Home Depot route).

13. That would work!

Also as others have stated, we are in a great time for ammo prices (especially on stuff like 9mm). Buy it up now and stock some back. If needed you can always turn it back into money later if needed, and we are at rock bottom pricing currently, that won't stay this way. Stash it away in your garage better than you did the last case, and you'll be long retired before you find it...

14. That was really funny! :oldwise:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In case all the reloading suggestions don't speak to you, how about a part time job at a range? Or become a certified trainer?

1. They don't.
    2. I won't be spending my last days as a range-rat: it's a hobby not a life-long quest. :rofl:
    3. Working at a range sweeping up brass won't work for me.
    4. Now, working behind the counter helping people buy a gun: that's romance for me! :rockwoot:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Retired at age 56, everything we owned is paid for, Wife retired a 4 years before i did. I have reloaded since i was in my early twenty's. i do work part time, when and where i want pretty much. Found it doesn't take as much to live on being retired either. Reloading isn't for everyone though! You can always find a way to make things happen that you enjoy doing, my cost to join the local gun club is 40 dollars a year and i also have access to farm property for really long range shooting too. The main thing is what kind of lifestyle do you want to live, expensive dinners out, movies out, travel, vacations? Or just lead a simplified life, more care free like i do.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This has been said by others I know who enjoy this Zen like activity.

Space is an issue. My shop is full. No junk either. That is not m on the phone. Ingo member we are building a 383 small block chev. stroker for.
    kmBR1Fe.jpg
    I bought a grinder stand from Harbor Freight to put my press on when I'm not using my bench. It allows me to sit out on my deck and reload if I want to. Takes up about 2 square feet or less. I bolted my presses (a turret and a single stage) to two short sections of 2x6's which I then attach to my bench or to the grinder stand with C clamps. Works like a charm and I'm not taking up real estate on my bench when I'm not reloading.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Retired at age 56, everything we owned is paid for,

1. My kind of man: everything paid for. Owe no man anything!

Wife retired a 4 years before i did.

2. Mine retired about 10 yrs. ago when her job evaporated.

I have reloaded since i was in my early twenty's. i do work part time, when and where i want pretty much. Found it doesn't take as much to live on being retired either.

3. They say you can live on 20% less, but I doubt if I'll see that kind of savings since we live "conservatively," which is easy if you are as boring as my wife and I. :laugh:

Reloading isn't for everyone though! You can always find a way to make things happen that you enjoy doing, my cost to join the local gun club is 40 dollars a year and i also have access to farm property for really long range shooting too. The main thing is what kind of lifestyle do you want to live, expensive dinners out, movies out, travel, vacations? Or just lead a simplified life, more care free like i do.

4. Everything you mentioned is not on our list when it comes to entertainment.
    5. Fortunately, my wife is on the same page when it comes to money: similar socio-economic backgrounds.
    6. We never fight about money, but there was that time I traded in a MC I'd just bought that the engine didn't work toward a new one to cut my losses: I can still remember the expression on her face and the, "You bought what?"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom