• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i just started shooting again, after taking a 12year "vacation" from guns. too much work, not enough time, new ( used ) house ect ect.
    i mainly shoot USPSA, so 1 maybe 2 matches a month within reasonable driving distance.
    ive shot the same open gun, same load, same gear, and the same progressive press for 25 years. 3000 rds will keep me supplied for next year. right now, i'm out of bullets for my open gun, so i'm done shooting USPSA until next spring
    i discovered SCSA & "outlaw" steel matches. i bought myself a new rimfire rifle and pistol, and have been sending a lot of 22LR downrange since spring. 500 rds of 22lr $26-$28 i can shoot both guns at 2 matches a month.

the wife has plenty of other "stuff" for me to do when i'm not shooting, but she hasnt complained about how much my shooting costs.
    i factor in, not only ammo costs but, match entry fee, gas for the truck, morning coffee, and even the bottled water i drink. :lmfao:

i have self imposed limits on everything i do, tool buying, off road truck, and guns

:cheers:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I sold all my guns and started over along with all my handloading stuff. Consolidated calibers and gun platforms big time!

Pickup all brass at the range. Sift out high dollar stuff and sell it. Pick out what you reload for and the rest gets sold for scrap. Use my credit card rewards points to buy components and gun parts. Wait for sales and only buy if it's a deal.

Anything part time you can do to put a few bucks in your pocket helps. Also cut back on range time and visits. I picked up a used boat to go fishing and flip back and forth. When my ammo levels go above comfort level I go and shoot the over stock.

Buy what you can and stack deep. It's not going to get any cheaper. Components of any kind are a commodity always in high demand.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I sold all my guns and started over along with all my handloading stuff. Consolidated calibers and gun platforms big time!

Pickup all brass at the range. Sift out high dollar stuff and sell it. Pick out what you reload for and the rest gets sold for scrap. Use my credit card rewards points to buy components and gun parts. Wait for sales and only buy if it's a deal.

Anything part time you can do to put a few bucks in your pocket helps. Also cut back on range time and visits. I picked up a used boat to go fishing and flip back and forth. When my ammo levels go above comfort level I go and shoot the over stock.

Buy what you can and stack deep. It's not going to get any cheaper. Components of any kind are a commodity always in high demand.

I have tried to consolidate a couple of times but the siren song of the next best thing is always steering me off course.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My wife and I are both 67. She is fully retired. I work a couple days a week . Shooting and guns is not a hobby. It is a ridiculous statement. I am spending more time getting children and grandchildren proficient with firearms now than ever before.

Being proficient with firearms is not a hobby. It could prolong her life. Your skills, knowledge, and equipment deserve to be passed down.

The right to self defense does not start or stop at any particular age.

Hair, makeup, shoes are frivolous and should go before any essentials. Even most groceries and clothing purchases are frivolous.

I fully intend to ride my Harley, drive my Corvette, and own and shoot my firearms as long as I can.

Yes I edited the stupid angry response from your post. Act your age sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Dry fire is cheap and effective. Shoot less, yet improve the actual shots you take. Cut your trips to the range in half or more yet, get better and better.

Next progression could be air guns. Slightly more than nothing to shoot, once you invest in the gun. Shoot them wherever works, not restricted to a conventional gun range.

Me, I'd try to work another year to not make too quick of a decision one way or another.
    Maybe post a thread asking for volunteers to show you their reloading process?

Something that doesn't get discussed a lot is partnering on a reloading setup with a friend. I know a fair handful of folks that obviously cut the hardware cost in half (some 1/3, 1/4), but also benefit from higher number bulk purchasing of components.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Reloading ammo for me is as much a part of the hobby as anything else. Let's face it, we all view shooting in different ways. Competition shooting with a handgun requires focus and lots of ammo. Long range with a rifle, not so many rounds. Handgun ammo in common calibers is cheap, not worth reloading. Odd or weapon specific rifle ammo is expensive and warrants reloading.

I cast my own bullets for most of my weapons. It is cost effective for 45 ACP, light 44 for 44 special, heavy 44 for 44 Mag. I shoot odd calibers like 348 Winchester, 458 Winchester Mag, 375 H&H, or 444 Marlin. These can be $3 per round and up for factory. I can load 458 WM for 27 cents.

Shoot Black Powder Cartridge? Maybe paper patch bullets? Loads of fun, but labor intensive. I get as much out of assembling the ammo as shooting.

Just now finishing up 1500 rounds of 44 Special, 200 gr cast bullet. Will last 6 months to a year depending. Sit for an hour or so every 2 days in the evening working the Dillon until they are done. cost last time I figured it was $.07. The cost of the equipment has been amortized long ago.

Cast bullets in the winter time when it is cool. Lead is available if you look. Again, set up for a caliber, work it a couple hours in the evening until you have 3-4 K of them and you are set for a year. Space in my garage is at a premium, casting gear occupies a corner of my bench.

Again I have found reloading a great part of shooting and enjoy it.

My $ .02.

Don

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My wife and I were talking about retirement Friday and she mentioned that I would have to give up my "hobby" if I retire now instead of keep working for another year or two.
    Income will be stable enough at first, but as anyone who has been through the "retirement counseling" seminars, it is what things cost 7-10 yrs. down the road that are crucial.
    Inflation has not been an issue for the past decade or more but it will come back like with a vengeance since everyone is living on borrowed money, especially on the Government level.
    I believe an economic "crash" is looming (I remember the last 3, but the next one is really going to level things off).
    As I tell my students: not just families go bankrupt from spending more than they bring in, but countries do also.

I've been keeping the old-style blue Dome budget books for 3 decades and know exactly what my expenses are.
    Some things have doubled in the past 20 yrs.: water and food to illustrate.

I told her I have already counted the costs and knew the realities, and wasn't going to keep working just to fund a hobby (I'm out of control, but not that much.:laugh:,) especially one that is less than 2 yrs. old and only indulged in when the house and cars were paid off and no kids (no debt at all).
    I just bought my wife a car and we'd intended to pay it off in 1.5 yrs. Not sure how not having a regular income will affect that since when I bought it I thought I was going to work 2-4 more years.

Buying a gun w/o selling what I have to pay for it (which I've been trying to do lately anyway) would be over, and I'd have to make some serious decisions about which guns to sell (not keeping two of the same kind of gun: Ruger Mark 4 and S/W 22A-1 or the same type/style of a gun: a dozen semi-auto .22LRs).
    The biggest deal is ammo costs, imo., since not buying another gun stops that expenditure but ammo is ongoing and ongoing and ongoing.
    When I go to the range, I usually put 200-300 rounds downrange. I couldn't go twice a week month after month at that rate when retired (9mm costs: $50/per session; $100/per week; $400/per month; $5200/per year). (.22LR costs would be $1733/yr.)
    I've even thought that if retired I would want to go more often! :ugh:

I have even thought I could shorten my range time and shoot 1/2 of the rounds (100-200 rounds) I do now .
    Since many of you have "been there and done that," I thought I'd get some feedback on how you managed after retirement and your money flow was restricted.
    Those of you still living on your spouse's dime during retirement b/c she is still working, need not reply. :rofl: I do envy you though! :laugh:

Well, I retired over 12 years ago. Looking over your numbers some things don't add up! First if you are shooting 2 times a week and paying for each session, you absolutely need to join a conservation club. My dues to Linden CC are $100 a year, and this is in line with most dues. You can shoot every day of the year for what you are paying for 3 or 4 sessions at a commercial range. The only disadvantage is that there is no indoor range for firearms (they do have an indoor air gun range). 22 cal LR are available for $20 to $25 a brick of 500 online (and at gun shows) - sometimes with free online shipping, as you say you are shooting a couple of hundred rounds a session, twice a week that is about $20 a month if you shoot only 22's. 9mm cartridges run 16 to 25 cents/rd so cost about $20 / hundred.

Son and I do reload many cartridges (we currently have firearms in more than 35 calibers) but reloading 9mm is just about a "break even" proposition AT THIS TIME, however we do have many supplies on hand if there is a need to reload. The other issue with reloading is that you can tailor rounds to your desire for accuracy, velocity etc. and it is also a great hobby on its own in my opinion. If you attend gun shows and watch for bargains you can save a few bucks reloading if you save your brass.

I don't know your financial situation but I retired (at 65 YO) with Zero bills, home and vehicles paid for and had built and equipped a new woodworking shop a year or two prior to retiring (my other hobby). I had a reasonable large IRA, decent employee retirement and my SS. One surprise was the decrease in my yearly taxes due to the exemptions on my wife's an my SS.

You didn't mention your age, but retiring prior to your age of 65 introduces one other major cost! My medical insurance for my wife was in excess of $400 / month until she reached the age of 65 year. She is a year and 3 months younger than me and had not worked nor carried any insurance other than the coverage from my employment. At this time we are both on Medicare and a separate supplemental insurance at about $2000 /yr each.

Personally, like you I would not have retired until I had all my financial bases covered. However I also would not have retired until I could continue to pursue my normal lifestyle without worry! I still purchase firearms, (do not sell any) and shoot any time I wish. My youngest son and I have over a 100 firearms and many thousands of loaded rounds with several reloading machines and enough supplies to reload many thousands more cartridges from .380 to 30-06. We do have a 50 BMG single shot rifle but haven't yet acquired the reloading die for that caliber.

I don't, and haven't purchased a new vehicle for over 50 years - I determined they were the WORST investment possible! I buy decent used vehicles and pay cash for them. I do use some credit cards but pay them off at the end of every month, period. My monthly income exceeds my normal expenses by a few hundred a month so have maintained a healthy "rainy day" amount in my checking account and IRA.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    9mm reloads cost me at most $5 box of 50 when I buy components in bulk. All my other pistol calibers are way less than 50% of retail ammo prices. Center fire rifle, again, way less than 50% retail and that’s for stuff like .30-06, .303 British, 8mm, .243, etc. I’ve recouped the cost of my Dillon, dies and associated necessities many times over in the past several years. So when I’ve retired my stuff is way paid for and all I need to do will be to keep components stocked. No problems.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    LarryC
    Well, I retired over 12 years ago. Looking over your numbers some things don't add up! First if you are shooting 2 times a week and paying for each session, you absolutely need to join a conservation club. My dues to Linden CC are $100 a year, and this is in line with most dues. You can shoot every day of the year for what you are paying for 3 or 4 sessions at a commercial range. The only disadvantage is that there is no indoor range for firearms (they do have an indoor air gun range)

1. I pay $13/mo. range fees, so no problem there.

. 22 cal LR are available for $20 to $25 a brick of 500 online (and at gun shows) - sometimes with free online shipping, as you say you are shooting a couple of hundred rounds a session, twice a week that is about $20 a month if you shoot only 22's. 9mm cartridges run 16 to 25 cents/rd so cost about $20 / hundred.

2. 4-5 cents per round: $20-$25 brick.
    3. Sometimes I splurge and get what I really like: Hi-velocity 40 grain copper round nose, which might cost me 6 cents each or $30/brick.

Son and I do reload many cartridges (we currently have firearms in more than 35 calibers) but reloading 9mm is just about a "break even" proposition AT THIS TIME, however we do have many supplies on hand if there is a need to reload. The other issue with reloading is that you can tailor rounds to your desire for accuracy, velocity etc. and it is also a great hobby on its own in my opinion. If you attend gun shows and watch for bargains you can save a few bucks reloading if you save your brass.

4. I'm not going to reload: I'll shoot less. If my son was in the room, that would change everything: I envy you; a great time for talking.

I don't know your financial situation but I retired (at 65 YO) with Zero bills, home and vehicles paid for and had built and equipped a new woodworking shop a year or two prior to retiring (my other hobby). I had a reasonable large IRA, decent employee retirement and my SS. One surprise was the decrease in my yearly taxes due to the exemptions on my wife's an my SS.

5. I'm in a similar situation. Don't believe in debts (did just buy a car for the wife, though). My income retired will correlate with what I had when working. My IRA is modest as a teacher, but it will be there to pay for the "extra" expenses that come along not in the budget. I could take it as an Annuity for the rest of my life or my spouses life @ $629/mo., but if you both die, the State keeps it: not going to have my "pile" locked up with no access to it when needed.

You didn't mention your age, but retiring prior to your age of 65 introduces one other major cost! My medical insurance for my wife was in excess of $400 / month until she reached the age of 65 year. She is a year and 3 months younger than me and had not worked nor carried any insurance other than the coverage from my employment. At this time we are both on Medicare and a separate supplemental insurance at about $2000 /yr each.

6. Medical is THE biggie for us since we spend about $1000/mo. for medical (we both have health issues).
    7. My wife has been on medicare for going on 3 yrs. and myself for a year, which is the only reason I can even think of retirement. I would have to work till I died if it wasn't for Medicare for my health coverage.
    8. It was more expensive to carry my wife on my insurance than her going on Medicare 3 yrs. ago, so our medical expenses dropped $200/mo.
    9. My medical will not be as dramatic a savings but I won't have that $3000 deductible (was $5000 for both of us). Medicare with a Supplement and Drug plan is a bargain for us.

Personally, like you I would not have retired until I had all my financial bases covered.
    However I also would not have retired until I could continue to pursue my normal lifestyle without worry!

10. I never intended or thought it possible to keep the same lifestyle when retired, I can only say "WOW!" for those who have that type of retirement plan.

I still purchase firearms, (do not sell any) and shoot any time I wish. My youngest son and I have over a 100 firearms and many thousands of loaded rounds with several reloading machines and enough supplies to reload many thousands more cartridges from .380 to 30-06. We do have a 50 BMG single shot rifle but haven't yet acquired the reloading die for that caliber.

11. I can't imagine still having the liquidity to buy guns after retirement.
    12. I only have 1/5 of the guns you have: that's amazing to me that you have 100! My self-imposed limit is 20: I go a little over and rarely under, but due to great effort I'm at 19 now. :laugh: (I have a couple more that I could sell, but I don't have to be in a hurry while I'm working.
    :dunno:)

I don't, and haven't purchased a new vehicle for over 50 years - I determined they were the WORST investment possible! I buy decent used vehicles and pay cash for them. I do use some credit cards but pay them off at the end of every month, period. My monthly income exceeds my normal expenses by a few hundred a month so have maintained a healthy "rainy day" amount in my checking account and IRA. LarryC

13. We handle our finances much the same. My last car (05) I bought and just sold just b/c we both have been wanting an SUV for years.
    14. Never paid credit card interest in my life. Interest is bad and says you should pay cash.
    :laugh:
    15. We always have lived under our means: secret of being "rich." Anytime I ever got a raise, it was real b/c I didn't owe thousands.
    16. I learned when young that I'd rather not own anything if it meant owing everything.
    17. Working to pay for toys is not going to happen; I've working my whole life at 2 jobs just to pay the bills, so I'm not spoiled to much by my last few years when there was "extra."

On a side note, my 33 yr. old son is more thrifty than I am, with his new wife being even more thrifty (lucky guy), but my 39 yr. old daughter is the opposite: makes good money and spends it all with vacations being primo. I kid her about her waiting for me to die so any money left in my "pile" can go to pay her law school loans!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/5/1/handloading-estimating-actual-cost-per-round-by-caliber
    [h=1]Handloading: Estimating Actual Cost per Round by Caliber[/h]by U.S. Army, Army Marksmanship Unit, Custom Firearms Shop - Monday, May 1, 2017

This article outlines a ballpark-estimate method of calculating the *actual* cost per round of different calibers. Some applications, and some shooters, by virtue of their high level of competition, require the very best ballistic performance available—"Darn the cost, full speed ahead!"

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    OK fellas. Lets look at this. I am about his age. I looked at reloading several times. The initial coasts involved for a decent progressive set up is a bit off putting. Add in all the needed accessory's to make this process as easy as possible (lights/tables/shelve/bits pieces and so on) and the initial investment will never be fully re-couped in the very small savings some people see in 9mm/45ACP. Add in the learning curve and the time required and it just does not add up for folks our age.

This can be argued I am sure. And might be but the numbers are right there. For me the time factor weighs in heavily. For some this might be a great way to enter retirement.

I started filling the ammo cabinets just before sandy hook. There were a few set backs due to the media driven frenzy's we have had but I now have enough locked down to keep me rolling for a long long time. There are deals if you watch and are ready. The expense has been spread out over several years.

Just my opinion.

I have to agree. Doesn't make sense today and even if prices go up; so will components.

I've been dollar cost averaging reloaded equipments since 1990 so its makes sense for me if I ever reload again.

I have a friend who is retired. He took a part time job at the gun counter at a major gun retailer. His paycheck is his gun money.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    mcapo
    I have to agree. Doesn't make sense today and even if prices go up; so will components.

I've been dollar cost averaging reloaded equipments since 1990 so its makes sense for me if I ever reload again.

I have a friend who is retired. He took a part time job at the gun counter at a major gun retailer. His paycheck is his gun money.mcapo

1. That does sound like my approach! :thumbsup:
    2. If I was more like CM, I'd give my wife her "cut." :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    mcapo

I have a friend who is retired. He took a part time job at the gun counter at a major gun retailer. His paycheck is his gun money.mcapo

1. That does sound like my approach! :thumbsup:
    2. If I was more like CM, I'd give my wife her "cut." :laugh:

#2.....I had a little trading session the other night. 3 pieces changed hands. Cost me $60 for the spouses cut.....:):
    She is a very qualified negotiator.

Top Bottom