• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I made a post earlier in the thread about a set of Peltor Tactical Sports that I picked up. They are on their way back to Amazon for a refund. I could not get a good cheek weld on my rifle without them hitting the stock and breaking the seal. Also, i had to wear plugs under them to get the proper hearing protection. The electronics were not loud enough to hear through the plugs. I basically paid $99 for regular muffs. This was my experience with them anyway. I will stay with plugs from now on.

brentlh

Marksman
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    May 11, 2012
    Muncie
    I also got the Peltors thanks to the review. I haven't had a chance to shoot with them but they sound great. I love the buttons and how easy it is to install the batteries. I bought a pair of the Peltor 6s from WM for $60 and took them back the same day. I think the extra $40 will be worth it.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I've used my Peltor Tactical Sports twice now. These are my first pair of electronic ear pro. I don't plan on going back to regular ear pro, ever!

They are great at silencing when needed, and amplifying when needed. Sometimes, but not often, voices get lost when they react to guns going off. I think that may be on me, and that I still need to find the "sweet spot" that works just right for me.

They are very comfortable for all day wear. The ear cups do not squeeze on my jaw joint making them unbearable. The only pressure point for me is at the crown of my head, but that may be worsened because of my hat. I have not used the Peltors without a hat on.

They get in the way a little while shooting rifles. Nothing that can't be worked around or adjusted easily. Or it might be because of my overall smaller build, being female.

Overall, I am very happy with these. I would recommend them.

Last edited:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have inner ear damage and required to wear a pair of hearing aids. When I shoot, I'd take the hearing aids off and use a regular hearing protection. But I can't hear anything else except a slight bang here and there. With the electronic one, would I be able to hear conversation wihtout my hearing aids?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    With the electronic one, would I be able to hear conversation wihtout my hearing aids?

Possibly. The electronic muffs not only transmit the sounds, but can also amplify them slightly. Out of the ones I tested, the Radians ProAmp had the most amplification. For regular use I would turn them on but never turn them up beyond their lowest level. For someone like yourself with hearing loss, you could turn them up further and enhance the sounds around you.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    iChokePeople let me try his Peltor's out at class recently. I was surprised to find that I could indeed get a good cheekweld without knocking them off. This was with my VEPR, should have brought a few other rifles to confirm, but that was good news.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Great review! I have added the Peltor muffs to my wish list on Amazon. $99.
    Anyone use these at an indoor range? Several of the electronic muffs got worse reviews when used indoors.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    A fellow INGOer told me he just ordered the Peltor Tactical Sports from Amazon.com for $93. Perhaps that will help sway you? :D

Amazon.com: Peltor 97451 Tactical Sport Hearing Protector: Home Improvement

Yeah, it should have, but I just couldn't justify it to myself until recently. I decided that I just had to have them for NFA day so that I could hear any commands or instructions through other people firing. They went up $6 before I ordered, but now that I have them, I couldn't be any happier. Should have done this awhile ago. Everybody that is even remotely thinking about buying these... DO IT... NOW!!! Thanks esrice for the great review. You sold more than a few pairs of these, I'm certain. I've shot with them, and honestly thought they would hit my AR or shotgun while shooting trap. Much to my surprise, they didn't. It's like having nothing on. You hear like you don't have muffs on, but the gunshots are magically quiet. Great purchase, great price!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just wanted to update this with a small story about my TCI DEHP Pro-X hearing pro I bought back in May.

I had them sitting on a small end table after a shooting trip a week ago. This weekend my wife and in-laws, and BIL & his girlfriend all went on a short day trip to a shopping mall and we took a cooler. Upon returning the cooler was emptied except for the 6 inches of water in the bottom and it got set by the end table with the lid off. Not sure why it was left like this, but we were all busy and it's beside the point. Somehow, throughout the day, one pair of DEHP Pro-x ended up in the cooler and nobody noticed until later when I noticed the cooler and went to put it away. Needless to say, I was furious :xmad::xmad: to find it sitting there full of water, with my earmuffs inside, until I remembered that these were waterproof. So I put them on and tried them out, they still worked just fine :D:rockwoot:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Anyone know how the Peltor Tac 65s compare to the Peltor Tactical Sports?
    I can't give a comparison but I can say with certainty to stay far away from the Peltor Tac 6S.

I went through 3 pairs of them during the 1 yr warranty period until the 3rd pair finally failed outside of the warranty period. I now use those for doing dirty work (chainsaw, wood-work, etc) where I don't need the electronic part. IE I use them as plain, non-electronic earmuffs because the electronics don't work anymore.

The method of failure was the same in all instances. Power/volume knob got "bumped on" in my shooting bag and it slowly drained the battery to 100% discharge at which point it leaked. Happened in every single one. I tried everything to stop it from happening including using quality batteries but the electronics are horribly vulnerable to leaky battery because of the battery location and the knobs are horribly vulnerable to accidentally being turned on. Even the best batteries will occasionally leak if they are drained completely.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    The Peltor Tactical Sports are on sale for $75 with free shipping on Amazon right now. Make sure you click on the special offers link and then when you get to the final page of checkout you'll see they are $25 off each. My wife discovered it by accident when ordering a pair for us for Christmas.

Get them while you can.

Top Bottom