• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    EXCELLENT review! I have been wondering how they compare.
    I had 3 pair of the peltor given to me by a 3M rep as "samples" when I made a delivery there several months ago. I was AMAZED by them especially since I had always scoffed at the electronic muffs. I have the mic and the cell phone attachments for them and the model I have also functions as a "walkie talkie" when hunting etc....really high end I guess. The amplification they produce is very helpful when hunting also. I highly recommend them to anyone that can afford them.

ETA: This rep hooked me right up! I was also given about 3 dozen pair of various eye protection too. All together I bet there was easily $2500 retail value in what he gave me!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'd like to add in yet another experience with DEHP Pros. This time "field experience"

I initially stated that these will make you hear things you've never heard before, I have to somewhat modify that. It appears that the circuitry amplifies high-pitched sounds a great deal more than low-pitch sounds. For example, walking through leaves/grass/etc the crutching sounds is amplified a LOT. However, talking etc cannot be heard very well over this sound.

Real-world occurrence...
    Scenario: pheasant hunting in tall grass and multiple hunters
    Problem: hunters need to communicate verbally
    W/o hearing pro: can hear verbal communications just fine from distance up to 40 yards away even while walking through the grass
    W/ hearing pro: cannot hear verbal comms from even 10 yds away while walking. Listener must stop to listen otherwise the highly amplified sound of the crunching grass overpowers the lesser-amplified sound of voices.

I can see where these would be great for any type of hunting where you're sitting still because it will amplify the sound of crunching leaves etc as a deer moves in. It could also amplify the sound of leaves rattling in the wind overpowering other sounds. Would also be "ok" in any hunting where you're moving and dont necessarily need to hear other sounds (that would defeat the purpose of electronic hearing pro though).

Just wanted to update this with my recent experiences. After about 5 minutes of pheasant hunting with the DEHP pros on I took them off. Others in the hunting group that tried them had the same experience and sentiments.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I'd like to add in yet another experience with DEHP Pros. This time "field experience"

I initially stated that these will make you hear things you've never heard before, I have to somewhat modify that. It appears that the circuitry amplifies high-pitched sounds a great deal more than low-pitch sounds. For example, walking through leaves/grass/etc the crutching sounds is amplified a LOT. However, talking etc cannot be heard very well over this sound.

Real-world occurrence...
    Scenario: pheasant hunting in tall grass and multiple hunters
    Problem: hunters need to communicate verbally
    W/o hearing pro: can hear verbal communications just fine from distance up to 40 yards away even while walking through the grass
    W/ hearing pro: cannot hear verbal comms from even 10 yds away while walking. Listener must stop to listen otherwise the highly amplified sound of the crunching grass overpowers the lesser-amplified sound of voices.

I can see where these would be great for any type of hunting where you're sitting still because it will amplify the sound of crunching leaves etc as a deer moves in. It could also amplify the sound of leaves rattling in the wind overpowering other sounds. Would also be "ok" in any hunting where you're moving and dont necessarily need to hear other sounds (that would defeat the purpose of electronic hearing pro though).

Just wanted to update this with my recent experiences. After about 5 minutes of pheasant hunting with the DEHP pros on I took them off. Others in the hunting group that tried them had the same experience and sentiments.
    An advantage can be gained by using the accessory microphones. It turns the headsets into walkie talkies.
    peltor.jpg

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    An advantage can be gained by using the accessory microphones. It turns the headsets into walkie talkies.
    Only if everybody has similar headsets though. In my case I had 2 sets of muffs (mine and my wife's) and there were 6 hunters... The muffs were quickly ditched in favor of small amounts of hearing damage. :D

But a good point either way. In parties where all have muffs/headsets and can cross-communicate it would be a fantastic idea to use that feature.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Only if everybody has similar headsets though. In my case I had 2 sets of muffs (mine and my wife's) and there were 6 hunters... The muffs were quickly ditched in favor of small amounts of hearing damage. :D

But a good point either way. In parties where all have muffs/headsets and can cross-communicate it would be a fantastic idea to use that feature.
    Sorry, I just noticed you have the DEHP. They may not have this feature. The peltor also has an accessory chord that will link them to a cell phone.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    Has anyone who made the switch from the Howard Leights to the Peltor Tac sports noticed it's more difficult to hear voices? (Yes they are turned on and turned up all the way.)

Even if the range is quiet its difficult to hear talking...the only thing that sounds amplified is the circulation fan. With my old HLs it was easy to hear my friends talk to me. Kinda bummed since the Peltors are dramatically more comfortable :rolleyes:

cardio1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    South of Paradise
    Has anyone who made the switch from the Howard Leights to the Peltor Tac sports noticed it's more difficult to hear voices? (Yes they are turned on and turned up all the way.)

Even if the range is quiet its difficult to hear talking...the only thing that sounds amplified is the circulation fan. With my old HLs it was easy to hear my friends talk to me. Kinda bummed since the Peltors are dramatically more comfortable :rolleyes:

I switched from the Howard Leights and used the Peltor for the first time yesterday. Actually, thought they were much better hearing voices and shot suppression. Like them, I do.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

I made the same switch based on Evan's review and was not overly impressed with the Peltors. They do have a different sound suppression scheme, but I can't honestly say it is better. Obviously some prefer it, but I could take it or leave it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

I've noticed that the Peltors and the Sordins, with their compression technology, are more about clear and true sound conduction, rather than amplification.

On my Radians, for example, I can turn them up and they will amplify sounds such that I can hear other people's conversation on the other side of the range. With the more expensive Sordins, however, I don't get that kind of amplification. Instead I hear sound at much more natural levels, as if I didn't even have them on.

Swim-- based on your above post and your email to me it sounds like your Peltors are defective. While they aren't really designed to give you super-human hearing, you should be hearing conversation at a normal level like you would without any earpro on. I suppose it is possible that you are simply used to the over-amplification of the HLs, but if you're actually missing out on conversation then the Peltors aren't working as they should.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    They do have a different sound suppression scheme, but I can't honestly say it is better.

Curious, have you used them on the range yet while shooting? And if so, were you alone or with other shooters?

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    Curious, have you used them on the range yet while shooting? And if so, were you alone or with other shooters?

I went by myself but couldn't hear the people in the other lanes talking like I could with my HLs. Again, this was true when there was gun fire and when it was silent. I thought the whole point of electronic hearing was to be able to hear normal conversations better on the range?

Maybe you're right that it's just that I am just used to the over-amplification with the HLs. However, it just really bothered me when my gun jammed and I could barely hear the RO.

If I play music on my iTunes right now at a slightly below normal level and put on the Peltors then I can't hear anything...and it's nowhere near that threshold of where it should cut off for safety. Then if I put my HLs on I can hear the music. Weird... :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    However, it just really bothered me when my gun jammed and I could barely hear the RO.

You should be able to hear others around you just like you would if you weren't wearing any earpro at all. If that isn't the case, there is something wrong with the muffs.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    So I read the DNR Hunting Guide cover to cover. From what I read, it is legal to where electronic ear muffs while hunting. Is this correct?

From this review, I'm looking at a set of Peltor's.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So I read the DNR Hunting Guide cover to cover. From what I read, it is legal to where electronic ear muffs while hunting. Is this correct?

From this review, I'm looking at a set of Peltor's.
    Yes, that's correct...

IMHO, it would be absurd for DNR to disallow electronic hearing protection. I think it's great for hunting as the only other alternative (while still being able to hear) is no hearing protection.

Top Bottom