• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The best value in alkaline batteries is found at Costco. Their Kirkland brand of AA and AAA alkaline batteries are almost free compared to Duracell or Energizer if you buy the big packages and their performance is outstanding. There was at least one topic on CandlePowerForums that had some very detailed, systematic testing of a wide selection of alkaline AA batteries. The Kirkland was at or near the top in every category. When you consider the price, you win.

Given that, I prefer to use lithium batteries in my "serious" lights. Unfortunately lithium AA and AAA are more expensive than CR123A batteries, so I'm less motivated to explore the virtues of many more AA or AAA-powered lights.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Anybody battery guys want to speculate if a different battery would last longer?

I found a new-in-wrapper standard Energizer at home so I decided to run the test again.

It ran constantly from 18:15 to 20:20, for a total runtime of 2 hours and 5 minutes. That's up 10 minutes from the battery I tested last night.

2yob8lj.jpg

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    You must've built that complex testing rig in proportion to the raise you got for your promotion to Ad Director! :D

Still gotta get a couple of these...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So, I lost my MicroStream this past Tuesday. :(

This feels like deja vu, but I found my 2nd MicroStream. :yesway:

The weird part is that I lost it in the same fashion as the first time, and I found it in the exact same place as last time, even though I thoroughly checked that area as soon as I lost it. Very strange. :n00b:

So now I'm back up to 2!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is it time to update this thread yet? :D

I still carry my Microstream every day at work. The finish is bare in spots from riding in my pocket.

The rubber tailcap was torn off by my curious 2-year-old. I've been running it sans cap for several months now and it hasn't affected function at all (though I haven't tried drowning it).

16la8n5.jpg

I've been noticing lately that there are now several similarly-sized lights being made with much higher light output. They cost more than $15 but I might have to give one a try.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My wife dropped hers a couple months ago. And it flew into several pieces.
    She threw it in the trash.

Couple nights ago, I'm talking tl cwood on the phone, and he tells me about Streamlights customer service.

I was PISSED when I found out I could have gotten a replacement for free.

These ARE awesome lights. I've given several out as gifts :D

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Mine finally died this last week. :( The 3 days of mourning have now passed, and the search for her replacement shall begin soon.. <<sniff>>

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My (3) are still going strong. My daily carry one is now minus the rubber button and is showing a lot of finish wear, but has no functional or structural issues. Had some intermittent weirdness awhile back where the light would randomly come on, then not shut off when the button was pressed. Turns out it just needed a new battery. The light that lives in my range bag and the other one that lives on my plate carrier don't get used very much and are still in the same condition as my previous update from last year.

I have looked at the PT-1L and PT-2L, but just can't justify the extra cost and size when the MicroStream does everything I need at a fraction of the price.

ETA - Evan, I just noticed that the video review you posted on 11/23/10 features the young guy who won the first episode of "One Man Army". Small world!

Last edited:

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    My PT1L is still going strong. Daily carry for a year,I've changed the batteries three times. Been dropped, snagged, thrown ;)....the thing is a beast.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think the limited light output of the Microstream is actually one of its benefits. It's a task light, not a something intended to roast a turkey or suntan someone through a wall. Most of the little keychain LED lights are not quite bright enough, but the Microstream is just about perfect for utility use.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just wanted to bump this up.

I was working under my house today. I had my work light plugged in, and I bumped it, breaking the light bulb.

Luckily, I had my lil Microstream in my pocket. I was able to finish, and find all my tools and come up from under the house.

GREAT little light!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've had a rechargeable poly stinger for years and worn out one battery stick in the time I've had it. I keep a flexible necked green stylus on the bench for a bore light and lookin for dropped parts. SStreamlight is good juju.

And last week I found these little Cree led's for $22.50 shipped on Gearhog.
    DSCN1260.jpg

They'll use AA or CR123 batteries. Just remove the short section of body in the picture for the CR123's. 130 lumens on high with the AA, 140 with the lithium 123. High, low and strobe on the push button tailcap. Wish I'd bought 5 instead of 2.

Top Bottom