• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Why would you choose to not use your sights at closer ranges? Probably a topic for another topic. I've never been in a real gun fight (thank you!), but in force-on-force training I've used my sights for pretty much every shot I've taken beyond contact distance.

You might be interested in reading some of the case studies that Tom Givens has presented about shootings involving his students. Most of them occurred at distances significantly farther than the conventional thought, which is based almost exclusively on police-involved shootings. Most of them remembered using their sights too (and got good hits).

The bottom line germaine to this topic is that using sights is always better if you can, and using sights isn't slower than not using sights unless you don't practice that way. Anything you can do with iron sights, most people can learn to do more efficiently with a red dot because it allows them to broaden their visual concentration more so than using iron sights and focusing on the threat itself is no longer a problem (i.e. you don't have to fight your natural tendency to focus on the threat). It just takes some practice.

This may be splitting hairs, but I am going to disagree, just a bit, with my friend rhino. You CAN get good solid fight stopping hits (as much as that is allowed by a handgun), at close range without using the sights. This may come into play especially if you are not in full extension, maybe some sort of retention position. Is it optimal to get to your sights? Yes! Also in my experiences in FOF I would say that the majority of our students never recall seeing their sights, much less using them. I use my sights during FOF much of the time, but I have trained to do that, and have more practice then most taking our FOF classes in doing just that.

So to bring that around to RDS. You can still point shoot with it if you need to. If you can get to the sight then do so, many find it much quicker and easier to do so in the beginning if they have good cowitnessing BUIS. Training wheels, as it were.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I dunno if you answered it or not, but how was the added "bulk"? Would it be a PITA to carry?

And how sturdy is the RDS? Is it sturdy enough to use it against your belt to rack the slide? And what about bumping it against hard items when it's holstered?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I dunno if you answered it or not, but how was the added "bulk"? Would it be a PITA to carry?

And how sturdy is the RDS? Is it sturdy enough to use it against your belt to rack the slide? And what about bumping it against hard items when it's holstered?

The RMR I use does not have auto shutoff or any other type of control except windage and elevation. It is always on, just like the Aimpoint on my rifle. Once a year, I replace the battery. They do make a adjustable version, I have just not seen the need for it.

They are plenty durable and work great for one handed racking of the slide. When I was showing it to a local gun store owner, he dropped it and broke his counter, but the sight was fine. As for bumping it when holstered, it will be fine, but of course my holster covers it anyway.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

the razor wieghs 1.4 oz so its not adding much at all

Vortex Optics - Razor Red Dot

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The RMR I use does not have auto shutoff or any other type of control except windage and elevation. It is always on, just like the Aimpoint on my rifle. Once a year, I replace the battery. They do make a adjustable version, I have just not seen the need for it.

They are plenty durable and work great for one handed racking of the slide. When I was showing it to a local gun store owner, he dropped it and broke his counter, but the sight was fine. As for bumping it when holstered, it will be fine, but of course my holster covers it anyway.

the razor wieghs 1.4 oz so its not adding much at all

Vortex Optics - Razor Red Dot

Thanks guys. I got some saving and thinking to do.

Maybe I can get the change to try one out too...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks guys. I got some saving and thinking to do.

Maybe I can get the change to try one out too...

when i get it back ill let you know and you can come try it out. i do think im going to mil down my slide so i can cowitness the sights. cedartop talked me into it and i dont think it will take over a hour or so

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

While the rig I was using would be less-than-ideal for carry, due to it being a longslide, I would have no qualms with carrying a Razor-sized optic on my M&P-- especially if it was milled into the slide making it a bit more low-profile. Its no more "bulky" than a gun with an attached weaponlight.

So far I have no reason to believe the Razor wouldn't take such manipulations, assuming it came loose due to repetitive recoil and not having any loctite on the mounting threads. I've heard nothing but good in regards to the ruggedness of an RMR.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well im not a gun expert but I know that in most self defense situations with a handgun you dont even use your sights at all.
    You just draw and point at your target, even point blank shooting in many situations.
    I believe the more you use your sights, the more likely it is you will use them as much as needed. I fear the common misconception that point shooting is the be all do all leads folks to think they don't need to train or practice.

I have seen good shooters miss very close targets that weren't even a threat or shooting back.

Great review as always Evan. :yesway:
    I do have some questions and suggestions. Everyone I have ever seen start off new to using a RDS on a pistol has a bit of a time with consistently finding the dot. I wonder how someone less seasoned with iron sights would adapt to the RDS? It seems to me that a rock solid repetitive presentation is required for the dot to fall where the eyes are looking. In other words, the RDS is not an easy replacement for technique and iron sights, right?

I'd like to see the results of some cold shots with the RDSed guns. First off maybe a single shot, later maybe a more elaborate drill. The important part is unpracticed or warmed up. The same would go for after the drill, no hour or three of practice, just the drill until the next cold one another day. It'd be great to hear from cedartop on this too!
    Honestly, I carry my RMR G19 for about 16 hours daily with no bulk, comfort, or concealment problems.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    IMG_20120209_185836.jpg

My EDC.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Fits my Raven perfectly...

Escrice, I offered to let you test drive my M&P months ago...

;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom