• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This entire thread has nearly made me cry.....I love revolvers.....I can like a semi auto, but for romance, passion and love give me a revolver....They are just so elegant and classy....

suicide-squad.jpg

Semi auto....:)

b8a932ed0385011e645507a81d0207c0.jpg

Revolver...

They both are attractive in their own way but........:)

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Like many here, I started with a revolver (S&W 19) as a duty weapon in 1981, and transitioned to a Beretta 92G in 1989. Although today, as a retiree, I carry a Sig P938, I would not be uncomfortable at all carrying a quality revolver, preferably a S&W.

Carry what one is comfortable with. A J-frame revolver is better than no weapon. As one author says, the first rule of a gun fight is to bring a gun.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    When I was about to graduate from the police academy my thoughts turned to the purchase of an off-duty gun, as did those of my fellow recruits.

There was a large hardware firm in the city with an FFL who took orders from our recruit classes, but they had instructions from our anal police administration that only orders for arms chambered in .38 Special were to be placed. I've now been waiting over forty years for my Model 66 with 2.5" barrel.

The gun I really coveted was the Model 27 with 3.5" barrel. That is truly a gunfighter's sixgun, designed for no other purpose! My Old Man argued strongly against it. I was so scrawny in my youth that my academy classmates dubbed me "Stringbean," and my Dad argued that the N framed shooter, no matter how I chose to pack it, would protrude from my frame like something in need of surgical removal. He was right.

He voted for the Chief's Special, but I could never regard the puny five-shooter as a main battle weapon, only a bug.

The result was my purchase (actually HIS purchase, I wasn't old enough, but I think the statute of limitations has run out on the "straw man" sale) of a Model 19 with 2.5" barrel, the "Combat Magnum." I still have it. It handles like a bucking bronco, but I quickly learned to be deadly with it.

To this day that lack of a hog-nosed Model 27 represents a gaping hole in my collection.

One of these days....

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    This entire thread has nearly made me cry.....I love revolvers.....I can like a semi auto, but for romance, passion and love give me a revolver....They are just so elegant and classy....

suicide-squad.jpg

Revolver...

Dang, I was getting worried! 40 posts in this thread before you showed up!:):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I just got back from the range, a couple of AK guys were in ahead of me; when they took a break I showed them what a Smith 22-4 N frame with elk stag grips could do. They were much impressed with the reload times for moon clip .45ACP...on departing they went from skeptical to enthusiastic and declared 'that was some damn fine pistol shooting there'.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    In the competition / personal carry / tactical training worlds it seems like it is almost universally understood that revolvers are dated and impractical for defensive shooting. People seem down right dismissive. These are the same people who train with full size competition pistols they never actually conceal carry, while shooting ammo they'll never keep in their carry gun, and with gear they never wear on the street. I am just wondering what Indiana Gun Owners thinks of carrying a revolver for defensive shooting? I don't just mean deep concealment, it can be winter carry setups like I've attached here. Are they really as ineffective from a tactical standpoint as many people think? Do you carry a revolver setup (if so post yours!)?

My daily winter carry for the time being:
    S&W 686 SSR 4" 6 rnds / Galco Outdoorsmen Double Action / Hanks Gunner Belt 1.5"
    View attachment 52485

The NICE thing about revolvers, is if they fail to fire, JUST PULL the TRIGGER, again.....

No slide, no fumbling, just SHOOT !!!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The NICE thing about revolvers, is if they fail to fire, JUST PULL the TRIGGER, again.....

No slide, no fumbling, just SHOOT !!!!!

Which may or may not work. Revolvers have their own malfunctions that require much more work than pulling the trigger again, which will typically only fix ammo related issues.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    It's likely the grips. Revolvers don't have to worry about having a magazine in the middle of your fist somewhere, so shape and size are much more flexible. There's a HUGE difference in shooting my Colt DS with skinny smooth wood grips vs big fat rubbery pachy grips.

I still shoot the LCR better than the Shield. The Shield is slicker and doesn't fit my hand as well. The LCR grip is tackier (in the grippy way, not the fashionable way) and fits my hand better. The LCR front sight lifts straight up under recoil in my hand. The Shield kicks up and right, making it harder to track.

I've also found revolvers to be more forgiving of the panic grip. I'll push low left with a Glock 22 well before I do with a GP100 Match Champion. The big fat wooden grip with palm swells just sticks in my hand better doesn't feel like it hates me and is trying to escape, and I don't feel like I have to strangle it to keep it from getting away.

I was searching for why I shot my snub nose better than my shield and this is where I land. Glad I'm not the only one. I was really feeling like a girl.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If a person studies the crime stat records for the round counts for during most shootings, A revolver is seldom out of ammo during the engagement. I am a little out of date as I have not seen those stats in a decade or so. The records just don't show many " man on the street" extended gun battles.

I do agree with the argument of the difference in capacity need between someone who's purpose self defense during a sudden attack and a person commission with pursuing all perpetrators of an incident until they are in custody.

Being competent with your tools should be the main focus. When IDPA first started up, there were many surprised when the old PPC shooters shot so well against the 10 shot semi autos. The 6 shot revolvers may have been at a huge round count disadvantage, but they were shot by people who had a couple decades of background with a revolver. A revolver that is as natural in your hand and tossing a ball for your grand kids will still beat an unfamiliar tool. At this point in time, I see very few people putting any effort into training and familiarization with anything but semi auto handguns.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison

suicide-squad.jpg

Revolver...

Both class acts... also both revolvers, lol. At least, Harley's big showpiece is.

Top Bottom