• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Hard to believe a 22 LR could blow up a gun like that

I agree! Very hard to believe that a .22 could break the gun in one location, much less too. I wonder if the metal had already fatigued or broke in one of those locations. The bullet on the front of the cartridge was likely the obstructions since clearly the bore could not have been lined up with the barrel.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    OP what does the bore look like?

Looks as good as it ever has. I'm just shining a small flashlight off of my finger at the back of the barrel.

10yoohu.jpg

fao5d5.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Looks as good as it ever has. I'm just shining a small flashlight off of my finger at the back of the barrel.

10yoohu.jpg

fao5d5.jpg

Looks like metal fatigue on top. The metal is not that thick where the screw head is on the frame side of the connection. I would agree about the cylinder not seated correctly to the barrel. Did you look at the casing to see where the crease was on the casing to strike the primer? If it was all the way across that would tell you.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    It looks as if the gun is made from pot metal. I would guess that there was metal fatigue on the top strap and when that area broke from the force of recoil the energy continued and put more force on the bottom area of the frame at the weakest point and that area also broke. The trigger guard is also bent a little. The cylinder and bbl sleeve are probably the only steel pieces on the gun. I probably didn't say that all correctly but I'm sure you get the idea. I'm glad nobody was hurt. IMHO YMMV :twocents:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I guess you really do get what you pay for...assuming you didn't pay much for this. If you or some by-stander had been injured, it may have been the most expensive firearm you ever purchased. I'm glad you dodged the bullet, so to speak.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Yeah, it was a very, very cheap revolver, and fatigue or low-quality materials could factor into this incident. I didn't think to keep the casing of the round that caused accident! doh!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i had a smith model 27 357 mag blow in my hands. split the barrel from end to end.

i was shooting somone elses reloads when it happened. bad thing was i was young and had snuck my fathers pistol out without permision. even though it wasn't my fault i got to buy my father a nw s&w 44 mag and couldn't sit down for a month

bk1330

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Jeffersonville,IN
    I have one of these same revolvers I inherited when my grandfather died they are horrible guns. I never shoot mine and will keep it just because it was in the family but mine is a seven shot also but you have to pull the trigger 21 times to fire 7 shots everything on it is junk. I'm surprised there is any left and they haven't all blown up by now. By the way before anyone freaks out yes I checked the barrel after everymiss fire to make sure there was no obstructions and the rounds where not even being hit it was not light strikes it was like no strikes the hammer never reaches the round every so often just a real piece of crap.

Top Bottom