• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    I agree with BossHoss on the trigger pull for each type of primer, I had to run 7.5# to light off CCI large pistol primers when I first got started with revolvers. I had 5k of them and figured I might as well shoot them up before buying more. With Federal small pistol primers I've had my gun down as low as 4.75# but you need everything to be just right, it ran 1,300 or so rounds without a light strike but was very particular and I didn't like the slower trigger reset. After a lot of trial and error I settled on a 6# trigger for the S&W design (BossHoss might know a thing or two :):).

That said, even a 7# trigger with easier to find Winchester primers will be night and day compared to a factory gun. I setup my Rugers at 7# so they light off all brands of primers and once you start shooting it's very hard to tell the difference in pull weight between them. It just needs to be smooth and consistent on every chamber. I've shot 2 or 3 guns that BossHoss worked on and all were nice, you won't be disappointed.

As to Sean's suggestion for ICORE we are always excited to meet new revolver shooters, come out and have some fun with us. This one is going to have a bit higher round count since I decided to add a sixth stage for June. Why not burn a little extra powder!

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    FWIW I have seen S&W do warranty work on guns that have had several owners. Seems that it depends on who you get and how you handle it. I tell everyone to NOT tell them you bought the gun used. If previous owner sent in the warranty card that would be the only way they could tell. They still have fixed some that had several owners and had the card sent in by one of the previous owners, no charge.

As for the primer question. I have no way to answer that as I have been asked why S&W revolvers have such a heavy DA trigger from the factory, many times. They set the gun up to run ANY primer. I have done guns for shooters and told them Federal only and they brought the gun back and said it won't run and they are using other primers:dunno:. I had one person bring me some loads and some primers he was using, the primer box didn't have one word of English printed on the box, don't have a clue who made them or where they were made he just picked them up at a gun show because they were cheap and now his gun wouldn't work:scratch:
    A competition revolver is like a race car it can be finicky and needs to be kept clean and fed the proper fuel or it won't run.
    Every gun is different but a PC gun usually averages 12 pounds DA. Some as low as 10 some as high as probably 16 as my gauge doesn't read that high.
    I usually set the DA on a competition gun around 6 pounds and that is fairly forgiving and has a solid reset. They will usually will run at 5 pounds or slightly less but you have to be perfect on your loading and keeping the moonclips very flat and the gun clean. VERY unforgiving.
    Some guns will run Winchesters at 6 pounds but I usually set up around 7 pounds. CCI 7 to 7.5 depends on that individual gun. As for Wolf, S&B, Tula, etc. I have no idea because I have never used them and don't know anyone who does(in competition).
    Federal primers are a little harder to find but they are worth it.

The 629 could get by with a basic trigger job that will smooth it up and lighten the trigger some.
    Thank you for the thorough response, Bosshoss! I would probably go for 7 lb so that I can use Winchester and CCI (at least in training). I would keep federal, if I find any, for competition only.

I will need to contact you somehow in order to arrange to meet. I cannot send you a PM yet since I need 50 posts to enable this feature. I am close so I might be able to do that in a weak or so.

How long time will it take you to finish your work on 2 revolvers?

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    ICORE is friendly to 6 and 8 shot guns! The stages are usually six-shot-friendly so that eight-shooters don't have an extra advantage.

ICORE Divisions:
    Classic: 6-shots, speed loaders
    Limited: 8-shots, moon clips, iron sights,
    Open: Optic sights(red dot) and/or compensator/ports
    Limited-6: 6-shots, moon clips, iron sights (this is a newer division)

That's almost the entire rule book for what's allowed in each division. For example, you could throw an optic on and compete in Open with six shot gun if that's what you feel like!(I've seen that several times)

Alaskan454 puts on a good match near Lafayette and I hope you attend! It looks like the next one will either be long stages or challenging stages! However, I think ICORE is a very welcoming, run-what-ya-brung and Have Fun sport!
    Thank you for answering my question. I tried to read the rule book, but it is written in the most confusing fasion. So I misunderstood the divisions. I will definitely try ICORE near Lafayette when I get my revolver ready.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    I agree with BossHoss on the trigger pull for each type of primer, I had to run 7.5# to light off CCI large pistol primers when I first got started with revolvers. I had 5k of them and figured I might as well shoot them up before buying more. With Federal small pistol primers I've had my gun down as low as 4.75# but you need everything to be just right, it ran 1,300 or so rounds without a light strike but was very particular and I didn't like the slower trigger reset. After a lot of trial and error I settled on a 6# trigger for the S&W design (BossHoss might know a thing or two :):).

That said, even a 7# trigger with easier to find Winchester primers will be night and day compared to a factory gun. I setup my Rugers at 7# so they light off all brands of primers and once you start shooting it's very hard to tell the difference in pull weight between them. It just needs to be smooth and consistent on every chamber. I've shot 2 or 3 guns that BossHoss worked on and all were nice, you won't be disappointed.

As to Sean's suggestion for ICORE we are always excited to meet new revolver shooters, come out and have some fun with us. This one is going to have a bit higher round count since I decided to add a sixth stage for June. Why not burn a little extra powder!
    Thank you for your comments! I don't think I will have my gun ready for the June competition, but we'll see about that. I will need some time also to set up loading ammo for 627. I did buy the dies, 38 sp cases and 125 gr fmj bullets for 357 mag. I need to figure out what cases to use for competition with moonclips. Starline 38 short colt were mentioned by many as good cases for reliable reloads in 627.

I will go for the 7 lb pull to light up all or mostly all primers.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Thank you for the thorough response, Bosshoss! I would probably go for 7 lb so that I can use Winchester and CCI (at least in training). I would keep federal, if I find any, for competition only.

I will need to contact you somehow in order to arrange to meet. I cannot send you a PM yet since I need 50 posts to enable this feature. I am close so I might be able to do that in a weak or so.

How long time will it take you to finish your work on 2 revolvers?

Usually a week or so but I'm helping set up the SNS 400 match and working the match. I will be busy all next week and then a few days to get caught up around the house after that. So a couple of weeks before I could get to them.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Bosshoss took care of me. I provided an extra spring so he set me up with light and heavy. (6# and 8# maybe?) This worked really well for me! Initially, back in the dark days of shortage, I couldn't find any Federal primers. Having the heavy spring let me run whatever garbage i could find and run a dirty gun without light strikes. As noted, when you get way down on hammer strike force, you have to be more and more correct in all the things you do! Plus, a heavy trigger is a good workout for that finger! :D

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    Usually a week or so but I'm helping set up the SNS 400 match and working the match. I will be busy all next week and then a few days to get caught up around the house after that. So a couple of weeks before I could get to them.
    This works well for me. I am not in a hurry. If I need to buy some parts in advance, let me know. Thanks.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    Bosshoss took care of me. I provided an extra spring so he set me up with light and heavy. (6# and 8# maybe?) This worked really well for me! Initially, back in the dark days of shortage, I couldn't find any Federal primers. Having the heavy spring let me run whatever garbage i could find and run a dirty gun without light strikes. As noted, when you get way down on hammer strike force, you have to be more and more correct in all the things you do! Plus, a heavy trigger is a good workout for that finger! :D
    This looks like a good solution. Thanks. Is it easy to change the spring you are taking about?

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Thank you for your comments! I don't think I will have my gun ready for the June competition, but we'll see about that. I will need some time also to set up loading ammo for 627. I did buy the dies, 38 sp cases and 125 gr fmj bullets for 357 mag. I need to figure out what cases to use for competition with moonclips. Starline 38 short colt were mentioned by many as good cases for reliable reloads in 627.

I will go for the 7 lb pull to light up all or mostly all primers.

I sent you a PM with the load data for the 627 I have. If you come to the ICORE match I'll let you run a stage or two with my 627. Bosshoss did the action work on it so you can see what it will feel like set up for federal primers.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    This looks like a good solution. Thanks. Is it easy to change the spring you are taking about?
    I can set it up with a extra spring for the cost of the extra spring.
    Just takes 4 o 5 minutes to switch. If you pick gun up at my house when I'm finished that is one of the things I show you how to do along with how to make adjustments and do maintenance.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    I sent you a PM with the load data for the 627 I have. If you come to the ICORE match I'll let you run a stage or two with my 627. Bosshoss did the action work on it so you can see what it will feel like set up for federal primers.
    I tried to reply to your PM, but it didn't work due to a 50 post rule. So I am copying it here:
    "Thank you for the load data and an offer to shoot your 627! I will gladly accept it. Thank you! So you are shooting 9 mm bullets out of your 627? Can one shoot any 9mm bullet or just that particular brand? That accuracy that you described is very impressive! I'll be there in Lafayette on June 24th."

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    I can set it up with a extra spring for the cost of the extra spring.
    Just takes 4 o 5 minutes to switch. If you pick gun up at my house when I'm finished that is one of the things I show you how to do along with how to make adjustments and do maintenance.
    I will pick them up from your house. I definitely want to learn how to adjust and maintain revolvers.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I tried to reply to your PM, but it didn't work due to a 50 post rule. So I am copying it here:
    "Thank you for the load data and an offer to shoot your 627! I will gladly accept it. Thank you! So you are shooting 9 mm bullets out of your 627? Can one shoot any 9mm bullet or just that particular brand? That accuracy that you described is very impressive! I'll be there in Lafayette on June 24th."

The load I gave you was developed by the previous owner. I have not slugged the barrel yet to see what diameter it is. The 9mm load does shoot quite well out of my 686 also. I have run a few 158 gr SWC sized at .357 and the accuracy is not as good as the 9mm bullets. I don't know as far as any 9mm bullet but Dog1's load with the xtreme 165 plated round nose is awesome. I don't plant to change it you can't argue with success.

Top Bottom