• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byhova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    I'm 100% sure I'm getting a 357 revolver but they are harder to find than I thought I found a S&W 64 4" barrel (but it was a 38 special) but it felt really comfortable....

So my question is what 357 revolvers should I look into?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For a basic 357 I highly recomend the S&W 686 (L Frame) or Ruger GP 100. You will not wear them out with 357 ammo. I have a 686 since 1990 and it runs and runs and runs. Also with the full lug barrel both the 686 and GP 100 tame recoil a little bit more than say the K fram model 19,66 or 65

If CCW is more what you want I would recommend the Ruger SP 101. Not completyely sold on the LCR in 357 yet because most folks buy the 357 and end up only running 38's in it because of the recoil. The sp 101 is all steel and is a "little" more comfortable with 357's IMHO

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Long list below but a good 357 is a hard choice to make. Good thing is there is one for every taste and everybody should own at least one 357 or you are not a real americian.

It you want a double action pull that breaks in the same exact spot everytime then you want a Colt trooper II. I helped more cops shoot qualifing scores in double action mode than any other handgun. Even those who normally could not shoot double actions well at all.

If you want the Cream of the crop then save your money you want a Colt Python.
    Royal colt blue for me but some in stainless/nickel.

If you want a great single action trigger and a double action trigger just a bit worse than the trooper then a Smith 586/686 is up your alley. They are also about the best value per dollar overall in the used market. Many would say the equal of the python but not me.

If you want to shoot the hottest handloads possible a Ruger blackhawk/SP 101 or the like as ruger seems to build them like tanks. The trooper is also very tank like in build but since they cost more might not be the best for handloads.

If you want the good old stainless workhorse of the 357 comunity. One that does all of the above well but none of them better than above the smith model 66 is the one for you. !.000.000 old cops used them every day for many years before the dark side (Glock) became popular.

If you want the weirdest looking 357 I have ever seen then a rino from chipawa is for you. I think they are ugly. Then again an ugly girl oftens preforms well. She has to.

If you want something that bites you back when you pull a trigger then one of the titanium framed model 60's or a steel framed model 60 in 367 or the new smith 357 is just about right. Most of these model 60's are 38 special but they now make them in 357. For the guy who like to be spanked they are the ticket.

Want maybe the tightest grouping switch barreled handgun in 357 for target shooting and not needing the extra shot after you pull a trigger then you want a T/C contender frame and 357 barrel. Great hunting handgun in 357 mag or 357 max. Will outshoot most revolvers and yo have no cylinder gap so they should shoot the same bullet a little faster also.

Want a 357 with different barrel lenghts then a dan wesson is what you want.

Cowboy in you look at umburti/ruger.

I will include a good value 38 in the victory model pistol since you get a nice shooter and a WWII collector in the same package. It is not 357 but at times when they got reimported back into the USA they were real cheap. Lets face it most of us shoot 38's in our 357's anyway.

Want a 357 mag auto. Look at the Desert Eagle.

There you go just a few to look around for.

byhova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Yeah I was thinking it but forgot to type it. It will be for Home Protection, and range shooting. I have always loved the feel, look, and the old school feel of a revolver. But have never taken the time to invest in 1.....

I was looking at the 686 on the website(i would have to feel it before buying anything) but should worry about get a + model in any particular brand or model....

brentlh

Marksman
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    May 11, 2012
    Muncie
    Yeah I was thinking it but forgot to type it. It will be for Home Protection, and range shooting. I have always loved the feel, look, and the old school feel of a revolver. But have never taken the time to invest in 1.....

I was looking at the 686 on the website(i would have to feel it before buying anything) but should worry about get a + model in any particular brand or model....

I have the 686+ 3" and love it. I was looking for a 3" or 4" when I got mine. Go to a store close to you and check one out.

byhova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    @jmarriott thanks for the information.

I don't like to buy things that are not worth the money so if something cost more because its better than I don't have a problem paying the extra money for it. But at the same time I don't want to spend 5x the amount for something that can be done with a middle if the road to higher end....

So Other than the Walking Dead why is the Colt Pythin the best/most expensive 357?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I don't like to buy things that are not worth the money so if something cost more because its better than I don't have a problem paying the extra money for it. But at the same time I don't want to spend 5x the amount for something that can be done with a middle if the road to higher end....

So Other than the Walking Dead why is the Colt Pythin the best/most expensive 357?

Colt no longer makes revolvers, so mythology, rarity, etc. plays more of a role in their pricing than performance.

For in home use and range use, heavy is better and longer is better. Heavier = easier to manage recoil and longer barrel = longer sight radius and higher velocities. 4"-6" barrel is probably about right for what you want to do with it.

S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 would be where I'd start my search.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

Remember the prom queen or cheerleader in high school that you had the crush on. Now remember the covergirl of sprts illistrated swimsuit edition. That is the difference. Both would make you a happ happ happy husband, But the supermodel is a little fewer and father between and will cost you more money to own and maintain.

Here is my classic python i got a long time ago in trade. No cylinder marks and I do not shoot her often.

I never got the box with mine as I got it in a trade. It was a shame as that box would add 300 to the worth of the gun to some.

They were all Hand fitted by the best craftsmen colt had on the payroll. Some older collectors will only buy a python built by "John Smith" .It has the craftsmans name on the box. I know a couple of people who own more than 30 of them and one who owns more than 50.

The triggers are surpreme. The accuracy is surpurb. The royal blue is deep and dark like looking into the eyes of a supermodel. The lines and size are perfect and most importantly they do not make them anymore. So a limited amount available. They were called the Revolver of the Kings and many of the richest people on the planet had them made for them special order. A smith at the time was 25% the cost of a colt.

Here is the trooper 357. This one I shoot. CNC machined and not hand fitted no underlug but like I said the best of the double action trigger hands down.

Both the trooper and the python where purchased by the same guy new. Both have this trigger shoe on them (I think it is a colt accessory from the factory. )

Now my everyday carry and for the money I have in it (Less than a full tank of gas at today's prices) this rossi 2 inch model 66 copy has proven to be one heck of a weapon since I got mine back in the 1980's. Notice the INTERARMS import stamp Stainless and cheap but I can hit the target at 35 yards well. If it gets stolen out of the truck I woun't cry much. (well a little) as the NRA will give me replacement cost on it since I am a member in good standing. I would recommend the older INTERARMS marked Rossi's as Smith sold the machines they made the model 66's to Rossi to make 357's for the Police and armed service members. Brazil has some weird law about buying stuff made in country. As for the new Rossi/tauras guns I would look for the Rossi imported by INTERARMS. They seem to be made better than the newer ones.

So there is no real need to spend a lot of cash for a good 357. Normally the older ones I feel are made better. Some of my favorite guns are from the 1980 vintage. The USRA winchesters, Japan brownings, H&K p7, smith 586. contender gen ones marlin 39M's. All good quality guns. Quality at a good price.

My smith 586 6 inch would be called ugly when I got her. Abused by being left wet in a leather gun rug, rusted you could not get the action open. I gave a box of shells and a folding knife for it.

It was a pet project for me. I used Krol and soaked it untill I could get it open. Replaced all the springs and a couple of parts that would not clean up. Reblued it, trigger job that would make a experance gunsmith proud sent it in to my gunsmith cause it still was a little out of time. When I got it done I was one proud owner and backyard gunsmith. I think at the time if I gave myself 5 dollars an hour pay for my work and parts I could have bought a brand new one for less. I shot it for half a year and made the deal on the python. I still have the smith and it is my main range gun so It keeps me from overshooting the collector one.

I prefer the blued handgun look but for carry or hunting the stainless is less of a hassle in instant cleaning.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I'm glad you're looking into revolvers. When the next massacre occurs and we have one too many political enemies in Congress or the courts semi-autos may be on the chopping block. Then there will be a mad scramble for wheel guns and you will already have yours. Neat!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I agree with the others on the 686 or 686+.

The Colt Python may very well be the epitome of the .357 revolver but, alas, Colt quit making them and therefore, command top prices. Had one for years that came from the Colt Custom Gun Shop, and it was an absolute dream.

The 'standard' (6 rnd.) 686 I carried for years, and it was one of the finest revolvers I owned.

byhova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Yeah I slowly started looking at the Indy show in March and being able to see multiple revolvers on display and ones I can actually hold had me wanting 1 or 2 or 5. Because where I'm at there is NEVER a revolver to be had. The only revolver is The Judge (I don't know if its good) but its so ugly I can't even bring myself to ask the guy if I can see it!

So most of the suggestions I see are mainly look into the 686/686+ or the Ruger. So is the + option worth the extra money? My plan was to see what kind of prices the Indy show this month was going to be like on the revolvers (hoping the scare has settled buyers and mainly sellers down a little more towards reality)

@jmarriott all your revolvers look really nice, I don't know how the python shoots but I will agree that is definitely a great looking gun! It looks like a Zombie Killer!

Top Bottom