• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree with the others on the 686 or 686+.

The Colt Python may very well be the epitome of the .357 revolver but, alas, Colt quit making them and therefore, command top prices. Had one for years that came from the Colt Custom Gun Shop, and it was an absolute dream.

The 'standard' (6 rnd.) 686 I carried for years, and it was one of the finest revolvers I owned.

I will add that I owned a Colt once (once and will never have another one). It was accurite however That Colt as well as a Rossi had probably the weakest mechanism and they both quit working with very low round counts (and that was with mostly factory 38 special SWC and with a few 357's in between. Perhaps it was just a fluke but when compaired to the 686 or GP 100 either the Colt or the Rossi didn't for me. Also I worked on a 30 man department that used the 686 and there were never any issues with them.

Others praise Colts and they are nice looking but I personally can not from my experience be confident they will go bang everytime.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    nobody seems to have mentioned Ruger Security Six- So,I will! Gotta be used,but,w.t.f.,theyre all used after you take 'em home and shoot 'em! Able to handle the stoutest of mag.loads all day,less weight than the new full-lug guns,not so pretty that you're afraid to get a scratch on 'em. A gun to use, not show off!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run a Colt, but not often. It's had thousands of rounds through it (belonged to my dad), no problems.

Eh, if I'm gonna blast a 6" revolver, I'd rather be shooting a .44 mag (and a Smith).

If Smith didn't put that %$#@ lawyer lock on that little M60 Pro with 3" bbl, I'd probably go with that for a trail rig.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    nobody seems to have mentioned Ruger Security Six- So,I will! Gotta be used,but,w.t.f.,theyre all used after you take 'em home and shoot 'em! Able to handle the stoutest of mag.loads all day,less weight than the new full-lug guns,not so pretty that you're afraid to get a scratch on 'em. A gun to use, not show off!
    i herd there one in Texas that's got over a million 357s though it not sure if true though.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Fondled a used snub 686 in a shop this morning. Sweet!

I considered the $ a bit high, so I left it where it was. Darn it. Will have to make do for now with my Ruger and my S&W 19. Both are good revolvers, though, so I can wait a while to acquire a 686. If I can find one then.....

byhova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    So would a 686+ (4") be a good revolver to start with then and what kind of price range should I expect (new or used either is fine with me as long as used is in good shape)....Having never shot a revolver if I love it like I think I will, then I could possibly invest into a more expensive model (colt python if they are as good as everyone says)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like these:
    Ruger® GP100® Distributor Exclusives Double-Action Revolver Models

There's a guy on this forum that just got the Talo Wiley Clapp version. Got to bottom of this page and check it out. Gorgeous!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/92049-wheel_gun_show_n_tell-66.html

Actually, at least 2 guys on this forum got one. I posted a full review of mine here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/283189-review_ruger_gp100_wiley_clapp_edition.html

It is my favorite handgun at the moment, hands down.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So would a 686+ (4") be a good revolver to start with then and what kind of price range should I expect (new or used either is fine with me as long as used is in good shape)....Having never shot a revolver if I love it like I think I will, then I could possibly invest into a more expensive model (colt python if they are as good as everyone says)

Not to complicate matters just an interjection with my 37 years of revolver shooting/duty use. As far as the 686+ you are limited to the HKS type speedloaders (unless you get the cylinder cut for moon clips). That might or might not be an issue but for me the HKS speedloaders are not my favorite. The HKS's while good are significantly slower than the Safariland Comp 2 and Comp 3's. I prefer the Safariland because there is no knob to twist it automatically unlocks when you push it into the cylinder. In the case of the Comp 3 it has a spring in it and actually propels the cartridges into the cylinder chambers with lightning speed. One less thing to think about.

I have used both the Safariland on and off duty and in ICORE, IDPA and IPSC and they are very durable and do not dump rounds if you drop them.

Yes the 686+ gives you an extra round but for us old revolver heads 6 is fine. If you really want to go high cap in a revolver get a 627 8 shot and use moon clips!

Again just an interjection.

byhova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    @in625shooter thanks for the insight, as i said I'm new to the revolver market so these speedloaders i understand what they are. Are these mainly used for compatition as along with faster reloads at the range? I think i wouldn't want to load as fast as possible at the range with 357 mag running about $30 a box (50).

However what would you suggest as far as a 6 round revolver with the same feel as the 686+? I am completely open to any suggestions because I have not set my sights on 1 particular I just held the 686 @ the Indy Show & loved the feel of that 1...Where I live there is nowhere I can go to try or hold different revolvers.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I aquired a 4" S&W model 686, 7 shot a couple of years ago. Hard to beat. I have also owned a Ruger 4&5/8" 357 Flat Top and I loved every shot with it. I have had the opportunity to shoot a Ruger SP 101 and also found it to my liking. Great round for target, plinking and self defense. Very easy to reload too.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members