• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    @BehindBlueI's
    Have you ever shot wax bullets? That was a very interesting read. But my question that I didn't see was the effects of the wax on the inside of the barrel. I understand wax probably will not damage the barrel but would it make it hard to clean especially if it were to harden inside the barrel?

I love this idea though definitely something to consider once I get my 357 :shoot:

It won't damage anything. Its extremely soft compared to lead or copper, after all. I've never tried the above recipe, but have used 100% paraffin and magnum primers. I used to run them through a Taurus 85 with no issues, and expect to try them in my Ruger soon now that I scored some Magnum primers.

It is a bit of a PITA to clean, yes. If clean up after shooting jacketed bullets is a "1" and cleaning up after shooting lead bullets is a "10" on the PITA scale, wax is about a "4". I just set aside one bore brush for wax only. Run that bore brush through it a few times, patch it, run a soft bore brush through it, patch, then clean like you normally would.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It won't damage anything. Its extremely soft compared to lead or copper, after all. I've never tried the above recipe, but have used 100% paraffin and magnum primers. I used to run them through a Taurus 85 with no issues, and expect to try them in my Ruger soon now that I scored some Magnum primers.

It is a bit of a PITA to clean, yes. If clean up after shooting jacketed bullets is a "1" and cleaning up after shooting lead bullets is a "10" on the PITA scale, wax is about a "4". I just set aside one bore brush for wax only. Run that bore brush through it a few times, patch it, run a soft bore brush through it, patch, then clean like you normally would.

We use to use them back in the 1980's in the USAF for shoot house type drills in vacant base housing. Wax bullets are an option however, there are a couple issues. 1. as far as reloading not that effective for practicing speed since they are like a wadcutter. and 2. with the price and avalibility of primers these days you have to ask yourself if you want to use them for wax.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Greenwood Gander has a 686 variant that caught my eye-- some kind of performance center piece, I think. It looked cool, but was sort of big.

686 seems likely to be one of the safest choices in a great .357. Hard to go wrong.

You could say much the same about the GP100/SP101.

Anyone like the S&W 627? That's my idea of a really good looking revolver.

170210_01_md.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We use to use them back in the 1980's in the USAF for shoot house type drills in vacant base housing. Wax bullets are an option however, there are a couple issues. 1. as far as reloading not that effective for practicing speed since they are like a wadcutter. and 2. with the price and avalibility of primers these days you have to ask yourself if you want to use them for wax.

I use my reloads for practice, so I don't understand why I wouldn't want to use primers for wax? Still cheaper than lead and powder. Plus I use magnum primers for my wax loads and regular small pistol for my lead, so I'm not costing myself capacity. I'm pretty well stocked for now, and figure primers and ammo will have shaken loose before I run out.

I used wax for holster work. Draw, one shot, holster. Draw, retention position shot, holster. Etc. I don't use it for rapid fire work.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I use my reloads for practice, so I don't understand why I wouldn't want to use primers for wax? Still cheaper than lead and powder. Plus I use magnum primers for my wax loads and regular small pistol for my lead, so I'm not costing myself capacity. I'm pretty well stocked for now, and figure primers and ammo will have shaken loose before I run out.

I used wax for holster work. Draw, one shot, holster. Draw, retention position shot, holster. Etc. I don't use it for rapid fire work.

I know what your saying and wax can be a good alternative. Just pointing out not for reload drills. As far as cost if you have a stash of primers fine but if you are purchasing now the problems of locating them and locating them with the normal price might be a treasure hunt.

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    I just purchased a new 686+ 4" about 8 months ago. I payed 679 + tax. I think they are running a bit higher now, but you should easily be able to find one anywhere for 700-729 new. It is a great gun, and i love it. Its a tack driver too.

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    I would say any 4" S&W or Ruger would be great. I have an old Security Six that's 35 years old and still gets shot on a regular basis.

Top Bottom