• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcampbell86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Muncie
    Hi all, I am need of some help deciding what would be the better choice between 3 in models of 1911's. I really like Springfield for their quality, customer service and decent priced 1911's, but they seem to be incredibly hard to find in the 3in model. I like the RIA one because it is a lower priced option, but I dont know how they perform.

Any information that could help me decide would help a lot. Also does anyone know where I can find either gun around the Muncie area?

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I cannot speak to the compact RIA, but I can tell you that every Government Model 1911 I've used from RIA has been outstanding..... for what that is worth.

dcampbell86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Muncie
    Yea my friend had one of the full size RIA and he also liked it a lot. I am just wondering if they are as good in the smaller version. Thank you for your help!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Havent been in there in a few weeks, but Madison county guns in Alexandria had a used RIA compact. I believe these are actually 3 1/2 models, bit still pretty small for a 1911

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I have shot my RIA govt. 1911 in USPSA all summer, about 2000 rounds so far and no problems at ALL !!! Very happy with the gun quality.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I have a RIA compact no problems as of yet .About 1000 rounds through it and time to Change recoil spring ,If i call ADVANCEDTACTICAL they will probably send a new spring free .They have great C.S service.You will change recoil springs frequently in any compact

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've heard nothing but good things about RIA, but you can bet the SA will be a well machined 1911. I think you'll do ok either way but the real thing you have to ask yourself about the RIA is, when you carry, will there be any doubt in your mind that the gun won't function? If there is, it might be best to hunt around more for the SA, if you are confident with RIA, then go that way and save some dough.

BarryJaxon

Shooter
    Rating - 50%
    0   1   1
    Feb 23, 2011
    x1wwph.jpg
    [/IMG]
    2nquzuo.jpg
    ]Not exactly Muncie but McDonalds guns in Marion usually has quite a few in stock.That said I have a compact and a full size and have never had a hiccup with either!Definately worth a look.

Last edited:

flyboy727

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have a SA Loaded Ultra Compact 45, all stainless, love it , its my favorite gun. There is no painted finishes or coatings to wear off and it shoots great.

However, it is a 3.5 inch barrell. But, I dont think you will notice the diffence.

BountyHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Gibson County
    P10 45?

Am I just a freak or what? Why doesn't anybody every mention Para Ordnance?
    I carry a WartHawg 45. 3 inch barrel 10 plus 1 in the pipe, snaged it off gunbroker for $533 with shipping. I just love Paras', this is my second my first was a P1245 another great gun.
    Just sayin', thats all.......

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've got a RIA Compact. I'd go with the SA compact all things being equal. I do like my RIA compact, but I've had to replace a couple of parts to make up for deficiencies in the factory parts and I've replaced the other internals after seeing those fail, just for my peace of mind.

FYI, the Ejector failed and the FP Stop was letting the extractor clock badly.

gunfreak6989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    The ria is a great option and is very reliable and actually comes with a skeletonized hammer which is a nice extra, but the parkerized finish is just ok quality. when it comes down to it you cant beat a stainless springfield. for quality, fit, finish, and especiall just reliability

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The ria is a great option and is very reliable and actually comes with a skeletonized hammer which is a nice extra, but the parkerized finish is just ok quality. when it comes down to it you cant beat a stainless springfield. for quality, fit, finish, and especiall just reliability

The parkerized finish on RIA pistols is OK, but really, its comparable to most park finish guns I have seen. Most are not pretty, but they aer more durable than many blued finishes you encounter today.

That said, both of my 1911s are stainless springfields, and I love them. If it gets scuffed, or a little rust spot, its nothing that a little mothers and elbow grease cant fix.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been debating on getting back into the 1911 game for a while now. From what I have read both the springfield and RIA are great guns and will last just as long, but when looking at value for the dollar RIA pulls ahead at least in my book.

I'm going to buy either RIA tactical, or their new RIA tactical with the rail. There's just something about those guns.

Wa22ioR

Unapologetically American
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Hey bro,

For what it's worth, RIA make very solid products at a very reasonable price point. Now, that being said, I would not recommend any 1911 in a barrel size below 4.25" barrel. I have had a couple of 3" and had some problems with them. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the recoil spring having to be really stiff and doesn't allow the slide to fully cycle resulting in eiether FTF/FTE or FRTB. Just my experiences. I would go with a 4.25". YMMV.

Top Bottom