• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The RIA TM22-A-18 is a .22lr semi-auto rifle that looks like an AR. It is made by Derya in Turkey and imported by RIA. The TM in the model name stands for Total Metal, the rifle is all metal with the exception of the AR style grip. It does not operate like an AR. The magazine relase is small, there is no bolt hold open lever, and the safety is backwards. The stock and grip can be replaced with standard AR parts.

Rifle New 02.jpg

The safety is on the left and can't be swapped, up is fire and down is safe.

The TM22 has last round bolt hold open, but the magazine is what holds the bolt open and when you remove the mag the bolt closes, there is no bolt hold open/release lever.

The stock is fixed, but the receiver is threaded to accept AR extension tubes. You can change the stock for your favorite 6 position AR stock.

Rifle New 03.jpg

The bolt handle is on left and can not be moved to the right. It is a sleeve with a bolt attaching it to the rifle bolt. The sleeve piece has two flats that you need to line up with the mounting point on the bolt. The flats prevent the charging handle from turning.

Bolt Handle 01.jpg

The rifle was coated inside and out with some kind of oil/preservative. I disassembled it, cleaned it and lubed it. I added a Sightmark red dot and an A2 flash hider I had on hand. I took it to the range and put 210 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. I used five types of ammo:

High Velocity
    70 rounds CCI Mini-Mags 40 grain
    70 rounds CCI Clean 40 grain
    30 rounds Aguila Super Extra 40 grain

Standard Velocity (< 1,100 FPS)
    20 rounds Tac22 40 grain solid lead
    20 rounds RWS Rifle Match 40 grain solid lead

The TM22 has dual extractors and the ejector is spring loaded to keep it in the proper position to send the rounds out of the receiver. Spent rounds were ejected forcefully at about 3-4 o'clock.

The mags are all aluminum, except for the follower and base. The rifle comes with two 10 round mags, 15 and 25 round mags are available.

Mags 01.jpg

The barrel is attached with a barrel nut and can be removed from the receiver easily. A tool is included with the rifle for removing the barrel and the extension tube.

The TM22 is heavy. Here is the weight compared to a couple of my other rifles.

TM22 - 6 pounds, 8.8 ounces
    Ruger 10/22 - 5 pounds, 3.4 ounces
    S&W M&P 15-22 - 4 pounds, 14.6 ounces

The TM22 trigger is light, but has a lot of over travel. Putting an over travel adjustment screw in would make the trigger very good. Here are the trigger weights on my rifles for a 5 pull average with a Lyman electronic gauge:

Ruger 10/22 - 1 pound, 1.7 ounces (this is BX trigger that Brimstone has worked on)
    TM22 - 1 pound, 13.4 ounces
    M&P 15-22 - 4 pounds, 5.3 ounces

Length of pull is a bit short on the TM22

TM22 - 13 1/8 inches
    10/22 - 13 1/2 inches
    15-22 - 13 1/2 inches

Here is the TM22 with the rifles I compared it with:

Rifles 02.jpg

Disassembly of the TM22 is easy, but it requires remove three 3 bolts with a 3 mm allen key. The top of the receiver comes off. This includes the rail where your optic is mounted. I mounted the red dot where I could access the disassembly screws. Next range trip I'll check that it held zero.

The TM22 appears to be a solid rifle, with the weight and the trigger it would probably make a good host for a scope for bench type shooting. I feel like I got my money's worth. It certainly did not disappoint from a dependability stand point based on the first range trip, it's unknown how it will stand up over time. I'll probably shoot it in a couple of steel challenge matches just to see how it does.

Here is the product page on RIA's web site:

And the specs provided by RIA:

TM22-A-18.jpg

I ordered on from Loaked & Loaded on 8/1/2023 and it was delivered to my FFL in Merrillville, IN on 8/4/2023. Locked & Loaded is in Pana, IL, but the rifle was dropped shipped from Baton Rouge, LA. The delivered price, including shipping, sales tax and transfer was $298. There is also a promotion going on where you send in proof of purchase and get a free 25 round magazine.

RIA TM 22 Reviews, Sootch shows disassembly.

RIA Product Page

Derya has a newer version with a full length hand guard and an adjustable stock. As far as I know this is not available in the U.S. You can see it in this video.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Great review @marvin02
    Almost talked me into ordering one....
    I saw the darn thing on YouTube and found it cheap enough to go ahead and try it.

With the review I hope to offer some info to help folks decide if they want one or not.

The trigger on mine is pretty amazing and it ran with NO issues at all.

Always neat to look at something a bit different and finding bargain guns that work well is nice.

Maybe a second range trip tomorrow.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    So I went online to get some extra mags and ordered (3) 15 round mags from Advanced Tactical. RIA seems to have some kind of business arrangement with Advanced Tactical, they use them for fulfillment of the free mag offer.

A bit expensive, but I ordered them on 8/7 and they shipped 8/8. Pretty good service.

RIA uses Advanced Tactical to fulfill the free 25 round mag offer. You have to set up an account with Advanced Tactical to get the free mag. I filled out the form on RIA's web site on Friday 8/4. I got an email with the coupon code to use at Advanced Tactical on 8/7. You can only use the coupon code for a 25 round mag, it won't work for a 10 or 15 round mag. If you live in a state where you can't have the good stuff they substitute a state legal mag when they ship it.

When you use the coupon code from RIA at checkout it includes free shipping. You can't order other stuff at the same time.

I ended up ordering a polymer mag because they were in stock.

I could have waited for the aluminum mag to be in stock but decided to get the polymer mag. A mag in your range bag is better than one on back order. Something else to test and report on.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The magazines ordered from Advanced Tactical were shipped promptly, even the free one. I've now got 6 mags. Two 10 round, three 15 round and one 25 round. The 25 round mag is polymer, the rest are aluminum housings. All have polymer followers and base plates.

TM22 Mags.jpg

Did another range day and put another 215 rounds through the gun. I had 1 failure to fire with Federal Range Pack 40 grain ammo.

I also had 1 failure to feed, but believe it was an ammo issue. The round sounded weak and I don't think it got the bolt back enough to feed the next round. It did eject the spent case and the barrel was clear.

The polymer mag appears well made and I ran it 3 times with no issues.

The rifle ran standard velocity ammo with no issues.

The mags have a notch that the barrel feed ramp sits in, so the rounds feed almost straight into the chamber.

TM22 Mag 01.jpg

TM22 Feed Ramp 01.jpg

TM22 Feed 00.jpg

TM22 Feed 02.jpg

The top of the receiver was removed to clean the gun and then reinstalled after the first range trip. The rifle held zero.

Ammo used on 8/15/23:

25 mini-mags

15 Fed Auto-Match 40 gr lrn, 1,200 fps

15 CCI SV 40 gr lrn, 1,070 fps

15 Eley Contact 42 gr, 1,090 fps

35 Federal value pack, 36 gr cphp, 1,260 fps

35 Wolf match target, 40 gr lrn, 1,050 fps

25 Aguilar Super Extra SV, 49 gr, lrn, 1,130 fps

50 Federal range pack, 40 gr lrn, 1,200 fps

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Steel Challenge match update:

Ran this in a six stage match, so 150 rounds if you don't miss.

Zero malfunctions.

The TM22 is heavier than the 10/22 I usually shoot and handles differently and I was slower with it, but it was the first time using it in this setting.

I've got around 600 rounds through this gun and it has worked fine.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    So tried the TM22 with a scope today.
    With Scope 01.jpg

With Scope 03.jpg

With Scope 02.jpg

That's an "inexpensive" Monstrum 2-7x32 scope and a UTG bipod.

Zeroed it with RWS Rifle Match LRN 40 grain.

Here is a five and a three shot group. This is at 25 yards and the square is one inch.

Target 20231028.jpg

Target2 20231028.jpg

Ran some Federal Automatch through it also. @kaveman and I were both easily hitting 8 & 6 inch steel plates at 100 yards.

Close to 700 rounds with no issues. The trigger is very nice for an inexpensive rifle.

With the scope and bipod the rifle weighs 7 pounds 14.5 ounces.

It's nice to buy something that exceeds expectations.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I got to shoot it yesterday after range cleanup day at MCRC. I was impressed. I sat and watched marv knock out bullseyes one after the other @25yds and then take on the 100yd plates after dialing in the scope. I ran a couple of mags through it at the plates and it was easy to keep them swinging. The gun shoots accurately enough that you don't just hit the plates,....you hit the part of the plates you want to hit,....they swing nicely with edge hits. As mentioned, trigger is exceptional on an inexpensive .22 and the build quality is impressive. So I went home and started shopping,......and naturally messed up(sorta).

I liked the rifle enough as it is to want that exact model, but I'm a bargain hunter. After a few dozen websites I ended up finding my 'best' deal on GB which would have gotten the gun to my dealer for about $285 after tax and shipping. Throw another $20 down for the transfer and I'm in it for $305,....not bad but just not what I wanted to spend to get into another completely different platform .22 with proprietary magazines. So I kept shopping.

I eventually found a fantastic deal on a slightly newer model they're calling the 'Feather'. It's about a pound lighter and if you read the description that every vendor copies and pastes from the RIA website it sounds like it's the exact same bones with some lighter(and uglier)furniture. Carry handle sights(that is detachable to reveal the same pic rail), a collapsible AR style buttstock(okay, fine), and an M4 style plastic forend with raised front sight(stupendously ugly but how hard can it be to ditch that and replace with a cheap Chinee M-Lok rail I have a box filled with?). And the price at Rural King knocked me to the floor,.......$139!! So I put one in my cart and ordered it in to the local RK store. Total with tax and shipping was $163.63 for what I thought was going to eventually be a solid totally metal(TM22).22 rifle that shoots and handles well with two 10rd metal magazines and a rebate offer for a free 25rder.

Then I started researching what I had just purchased(because I had a finger poised over the Add To Cart button for a second one). That's when I discovered what the 'Feather' is.

Apparently it should be named the TP22 since the entire receiver is polymer. They've lightened it up by doing away with that nice machined aluminum block of a receiver and substituting a nice molded block of polymer receiver and uglying up the furniture a bit. So Imma guess the pic rail is polymer too but who knows,......the written descriptions don't seem to be overly accurate or descriptive no matter where you find them. We'll see. I still may buy a second one.

Receiver aside, I still think it'll be a nice shooter with the same relatively heavy barrel with threaded muzzle. The same snappy trigger and arguably a better buttstock, and if I can Macguyver a rail onto it to replace the dogface front end,.......that's a LOT in a $139 rifle with three magazines(oh, they're polymer too btw).

Looking around and finding the RK price is stupidly low. PSA has the same gun on clearance for $199. Best price found through a search engine is $179 and that would still need to be shipped in, taxed and $20 transferred so probably more like $235-240 all-in. Compared to $163 and change locally out the door at Rural King. Yeah, I'm either buying a second one today or I'm waiting impatiently to pick up the first one first which is the smarter play. So I'm buying a second one today I guess.

Did I mention that the Feather is dogface ugly? But I think it'll be improved with the ditching of the carry handle and railing up of the forend. Even if I have to use duct tape.

2023001334.jpg

Last edited:

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    So I gotta wonder,.....was the $139 price at Rural King a mistake? I purchased one Saturday afternoon at that price and then a second one Sunday at the same price,......but now they're coming up at $199.97, much more in line with other retailers. I saw a few offered at $179 but most were at the $199 level. Rural King's $139 was an outlier.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    So I gotta wonder,.....was the $139 price at Rural King a mistake? I purchased one Saturday afternoon at that price and then a second one Sunday at the same price,......but now they're coming up at $199.97, much more in line with other retailers. I saw a few offered at $179 but most were at the $199 level. Rural King's $139 was an outlier.

You caused a run on them!

Enjoy.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    How did it run suppressed? Did you use subsonic ammo?
    It ran just fine
    Ran 50 rounds thru this thing suppressed today at the NWI Meeting & Shoot with zero issues.
    25 rounds of sub-sonic and 25 rounds of HV.

With the sub-sonic the bolt noise was the loudest noise when firing.

The suppressor belonged to @actaeon277, he would know the model.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I decided that I wanted an adjustable stock on the TM22. I purchased a mil-spec buffer tube and stock.

These are the parts I used:

I got them in a "kit" for $24.99.

The castle nut on the OEM stock comes off easily with the wench included with the rifle.

Then things get non-standard. The end plate on the rifle locks onto a plug screw that holds in the spring for the disconnector.

RIA TM22 08.jpg

This plug has two flats that engage with the end plate.

RIA TM22 03.jpg

Even though the mil-spec tube screws into the receiver with no problem the end plate would not fit over the mil-spec tube. I had to enlarge the hole so that the original end plate would go over the new tube.

RIA TM22 02.jpg

There is also a plug and a rubber spacer that fit into the receiver before you screw the buffer tube on:

RIA TM22 01.jpg

The plug goes into the receiver small end first and then the rubber spacer. The plug is the bolt stop. When screwing in the buffer tube you have to make sure it pushes up against the spacer and plug.

Finished project:

RIA TM22 09.jpg

RIA TM22 10.jpg

Length of pull can now be adjusted from 12 1/4 inches to 14 3/4.

The parts appear to be well made and the price was reasonable. The stock is a tight fit on the tube. The locking pin for the stock seems to be a bit too long it was difficult to get on.

Top Bottom