• kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Okay,....lots of comments on this.

1)Ya done good,...that looks great.

2)The locking pin is supposed to be long so you don't slide the stock completely off the buffer tube when extending it. I usually have to compress the lock, wedge a screwdriver blade between the lever and the cross pin in the lock and resqueeze to get enough clearance to install/remove a stock from the buffer tube.

3)I'm more than a little disappointed that neither of my rifles came with a wench, just a tool for removing the barrel nut and stock. Shame,.....I could have used a good wench or two.

4)It's good to see that the Turks destandardized the back of the rifle as well as the front. My Feathers came with decent adjustable stocks but fitting rails in place of dog-face ugly handguards is gonna be a project. Front sight post and handguard remove as you would expect and then there's a polymer barrel nut to remove, but that's where AR similarity ends. Polymer barrel nut has coarse threads so a regular AR nut no workie. Rail won't come anywhere near to slipping over the beefy poly nut. Contacted Rock Island for a couple of part#48 TM barrel nuts but got the response, "parts not available 'yet', why you want two barrel nuts?" Told them what I was doing,......but that was Friday and no expected response from them yet.

I figure I have three options,...either get the nuts from RIA somehow, turn down the diameter of the poly nuts I have and hope they're still strong enough to not shed their threads and that the aluminum rails will clamp tightly enough to stay in place, or swipe your nut when you're not looking,.....but that would still leave me one short.

But hey, fwiw, the Feather safety works right,......up is safe and down is fire. I figure that's a win.

I'm also VERY happy that my compulsive purchasing nature got the better of me and I pounced on a second one Sunday before mgmt came in on Monday and realized they were giving these things away at $139. I haven't bought a rifle this good for this cheap in over 40yrs and that was with 1980's dollars.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    1)Ya done good,...that looks great.
    The adjustable stock is a nice upgrade for $25. Modding the end plate was slow going because I didn't want to remove any more material than I had to.

2)The locking pin is supposed to be long so you don't slide the stock completely off the buffer tube when extending it.
    Yeah, but this one is long enough that you can't remove the stock with the spring fully compressed and coil locked. At least not by hand.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    If/when I can secure replacement barrel nuts I will probably put rails on them but you know what,.......just by not attaching the carry handle and by removing the two screws that secure the front sight,........90% of the ugliness disappears. All that's left is that broken appendage of a dangling magazine hanging out the bottom.

Before,......
    TM22-L.png

After,.......

TM22FEATHER1.jpg

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    We're not talking about wrenches. We can discuss those later. I want to know more about the wench who came with the rifle and who helped you get the castle nut off.

ironpoorer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2024
    Wisconsin
    The RIA TM22-A-18 is a .22lr semi-auto rifle that looks like an AR. It is made by Derya in Turkey and imported by RIA. The TM in the model name stands for Total Metal, the rifle is all metal with the exception of the AR style grip. It does not operate like an AR. The magazine relase is small, there is no bolt hold open lever, and the safety is backwards. The stock and grip can be replaced with standard AR parts.

View attachment 291644

The safety is on the left and can't be swapped, up is fire and down is safe.

The TM22 has last round bolt hold open, but the magazine is what holds the bolt open and when you remove the mag the bolt closes, there is no bolt hold open/release lever.

The stock is fixed, but the receiver is threaded to accept AR extension tubes. You can change the stock for your favorite 6 position AR stock.

View attachment 291645

The bolt handle is on left and can not be moved to the right. It is a sleeve with a bolt attaching it to the rifle bolt. The sleeve piece has two flats that you need to line up with the mounting point on the bolt. The flats prevent the charging handle from turning.

View attachment 291646

The rifle was coated inside and out with some kind of oil/preservative. I disassembled it, cleaned it and lubed it. I added a Sightmark red dot and an A2 flash hider I had on hand. I took it to the range and put 210 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. I used five types of ammo:

High Velocity
    70 rounds CCI Mini-Mags 40 grain
    70 rounds CCI Clean 40 grain
    30 rounds Aguila Super Extra 40 grain

Standard Velocity (< 1,100 FPS)
    20 rounds Tac22 40 grain solid lead
    20 rounds RWS Rifle Match 40 grain solid lead

The TM22 has dual extractors and the ejector is spring loaded to keep it in the proper position to send the rounds out of the receiver. Spent rounds were ejected forcefully at about 3-4 o'clock.

The mags are all aluminum, except for the follower and base. The rifle comes with two 10 round mags, 15 and 25 round mags are available.

View attachment 291647

The barrel is attached with a barrel nut and can be removed from the receiver easily. A tool is included with the rifle for removing the barrel and the extension tube.

The TM22 is heavy. Here is the weight compared to a couple of my other rifles.

TM22 - 6 pounds, 8.8 ounces
    Ruger 10/22 - 5 pounds, 3.4 ounces
    S&W M&P 15-22 - 4 pounds, 14.6 ounces

The TM22 trigger is light, but has a lot of over travel. Putting an over travel adjustment screw in would make the trigger very good. Here are the trigger weights on my rifles for a 5 pull average with a Lyman electronic gauge:

Ruger 10/22 - 1 pound, 1.7 ounces (this is BX trigger that Brimstone has worked on)
    TM22 - 1 pound, 13.4 ounces
    M&P 15-22 - 4 pounds, 5.3 ounces

Length of pull is a bit short on the TM22

TM22 - 13 1/8 inches
    10/22 - 13 1/2 inches
    15-22 - 13 1/2 inches

Here is the TM22 with the rifles I compared it with:

View attachment 291648

Disassembly of the TM22 is easy, but it requires remove three 3 bolts with a 3 mm allen key. The top of the receiver comes off. This includes the rail where your optic is mounted. I mounted the red dot where I could access the disassembly screws. Next range trip I'll check that it held zero.

The TM22 appears to be a solid rifle, with the weight and the trigger it would probably make a good host for a scope for bench type shooting. I feel like I got my money's worth. It certainly did not disappoint from a dependability stand point based on the first range trip, it's unknown how it will stand up over time. I'll probably shoot it in a couple of steel challenge matches just to see how it does.

Here is the product page on RIA's web site:

And the specs provided by RIA:

View attachment 291650

I ordered on from Loaked & Loaded on 8/1/2023 and it was delivered to my FFL in Merrillville, IN on 8/4/2023. Locked & Loaded is in Pana, IL, but the rifle was dropped shipped from Baton Rouge, LA. The delivered price, including shipping, sales tax and transfer was $298. There is also a promotion going on where you send in proof of purchase and get a free 25 round magazine.

RIA TM 22 Reviews, Sootch shows disassembly.

RIA Product Page

Derya has a newer version with a full length hand guard and an adjustable stock. As far as I know this is not available in the U.S. You can see it in this video.

Great review, very thorough and informative. I bought the TM-22 Feather a couple months ago at Dunhams for $179 and love it, though I worry about the polymer lower. I can find the real "Total Metal" version now for just $20 more and am having serious thoughts of adding it to my stable. Mine hates Federal Automatch (many FTE) but loves CCI and Aguila Super Extra (FTE maybe 1/100 shots. If I knew for sure my Feather mags would fit the TM I might just get it as it would be a $50 cost savings.
    Great group, thanks for the add from this (former) Hoosier.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I went shooting with @kaveman and forgot the mags for the TM22 and his mags for the feather models worked just fine. @ironpoorer - the mags are interchangeable between the one I reviewed and the all polymer model.

Because you have to remove the top rail to clean (at least I do) you have to re-zero any optic mounted on the rail.

ironpoorer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2024
    Wisconsin
    I went shooting with @kaveman and forgot the mags for the TM22 and his mags for the feather models worked just fine. @ironpoorer - the mags are interchangeable between the one I reviewed and the all polymer model.

Because you have to remove the top rail to clean (at least I do) you have to re-zero any optic mounted on the rail.
    Thanks- now I can tell my wife that I'm actually saving $60 by not having to buy spare mags lol.
    I wish they had at least precision doweled the pic rail in, as you say re-zeroing the optic every time sucks.
    Onr further complaint is the charging handle, a simple knurled roll pin on an allen head bolt is not comfortable. I'll make something a but longer (1/4" or so) and curved for a finger to better fit.

Top Bottom