• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Should have made my screen name "Tactical Ninja"......

On topic the "exhaust" that that plant puts out went for miles.... Was a bit unnerving.... Quite a few trailer parks down wind...

you mean the non-radioactive steam that every power station dumps out? Nuke plans have multiple water systems, keeping the reactor water completely separate and shielded from the water that makes it out.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    WORK is correct.

The system has multiple levels of exchangers to isolate the cooling systems. The reactor water is cooled buy a closed loop. That loop has an exchanger that cools it with a cooling water loop. The cooling water loop is cooled either by a cooling tower water system, or by lake water, like Point Beach Nuke that uses lake Michigan water. (btw, the slightly warmer water near the discharge make GREAT Coho fishing)
    The purpose of the redundant loops to catch any failure, for example a failure in the critical water loop will only get to the cooling loop where it can be caught. There are multiple sensors at each system to detect any problems.

There is a mandated safety inspection system requiring these systems to be taken apart and inspected for wear and cracks with various methods including sonic testers. This is an expensive and detailed inspection. For the books to be fraudulent, there would have to be a failure in at least 4 levels of plant operations AND multiple people who work for the NRC. The laws are written that each level of responsiblity can be individually criminally prosecuted as well as any corporate fines. My short time at each place was measured in months and weeks, not years, so I am far from an expert. I have never seen anyone compromise or heard of anyone getting jailed for being sloppy or doctoring records. My observation was that everyone I saw making decisions made the choice to be extra safe and extra careful, even if it was costing extra money.

The history of bessie is pretty alarming. It raises the question, how long do we operate these old nucke plants before we condem them, and what do we do with them once they are condemed?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    WORK is correct.

The system has multiple levels of exchangers to isolate the cooling systems. The reactor water is cooled buy a closed loop. That loop has an exchanger that cools it with a cooling water loop. The cooling water loop is cooled either by a cooling tower water system, or by lake water, like Point Beach Nuke that uses lake Michigan water. (btw, the slightly warmer water near the discharge make GREAT Coho fishing)
    The purpose of the redundant loops to catch any failure, for example a failure in the critical water loop will only get to the cooling loop where it can be caught. There are multiple sensors at each system to detect any problems.

There is a mandated safety inspection system requiring these systems to be taken apart and inspected for wear and cracks with various methods including sonic testers. This is an expensive and detailed inspection. For the books to be fraudulent, there would have to be a failure in at least 4 levels of plant operations AND multiple people who work for the NRC. The laws are written that each level of responsiblity can be individually criminally prosecuted as well as any corporate fines. My short time at each place was measured in months and weeks, not years, so I am far from an expert. I have never seen anyone compromise or heard of anyone getting jailed for being sloppy or doctoring records. My observation was that everyone I saw making decisions made the choice to be extra safe and extra careful, even if it was costing extra money.

The history of bessie is pretty alarming. It raises the question, how long do we operate these old nucke plants before we condem them, and what do we do with them once they are condemed?

Did not know that... Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom