• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've always wondered, are LTCH holders allowed to carry during a ride along?

I did a ride along with Greenfield PD a few years ago, and was told that I could not carry my own firearm. But as soon as we got in the vehicle the officer showed me where the shotgun and patrol rifle was and how to unlock it, and also pointed out one of his BUGs and informed me that all of them were ready to rock in roll, if needed.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    How does it work?
    you could do it old school and just oc at Starbucks. you won't get the whole shift but you'll get a little ride out of it most likely.

seriously though riding with vupd is on my short list of things to do and I'm not worried about being able to carry, I've seen what he's capable of & can't imagine a safety concern making its way to me.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    How does it work?

you can also just call your local pd and let them know you've taken a LOT of training to be able to shoot bad guys. Go on to explain that you recently came to the depressing realization that your current career and life path makes it rather unlikely you'll get the chance to use it. You've heard about the ride along option and feel like it may be the perfect remedy for this dilemma.

I'm sure they'll be in touch with you.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    you can also just call your local pd and let them know you've taken a LOT of training to be able to shoot bad guys. Go on to explain that you recently came to the depressing realization that your current career and life path makes it rather unlikely you'll get the chance to use it. You've heard about the ride along option and feel like it may be the perfect remedy for this dilemma.

I'm sure they'll be in touch with you.
    :ingo:helping :ingo:.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I would cc but the would worry about going into jails, I guess the weapon could be locked up In the car or in the lock box at the jail, are ride along a even allowed in the jail? Do you even transport or do you have the pattywagon do your dirty work?

I would love a invite to ride, I am not the type to make some LEO suffer through a shift with my sorry ass...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You wouldn't be allowed to CC. If you were to ride with me, and after I informed you of the department policy against carrying of firearms on ride-alongs you did so anyway, to say I would be unhappy would be a massive understatement.
    Yes riders can, and do, go into jails and secure facilities. I have had riders go with me to Wishard holding and to the APC with OVWI suspects. We dont normally transport arrestees but OVWIs are an exception.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So how would one go about doing this? Just stop by the department and ask to do a ride along?

How long does a ride along last? Or is it just until the officer gets sick of me?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Typically yes, you just get hold of someone from the department (ie: go there and ask) and work out a time to ride. They will probably have you sign a waiver before you go and they'll probably run you for warrants. I can't speak for Frank, but if you wanted to ride with me, you'd just need to get hold of me and work out a time that's convenient for you and then meet me at roll call just before shift starts. You can ride the whole shift or just a few hours...it's really up to you.

Top Bottom