• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    By a very unexpected twist of fate, a friend of mine has decided he no longer wants to use his 450 Bushmaster for hunting. He has already has the rifle SPF and is offering me his dies, brass powder and bullets at a very fair price.
    To buy it all means I will have to buy a rifle.
    Right now in my price range all that is available is:
    Bolt rifles:
    Ruger American
    Mossberg Patriot
    Single shot:
    CVA Outfitter G3
    Henry single shot.

I usually much prefer bolt rifles so can anyone offer me their experience on which rifle the Ruger or Mossberg is the better rifle in terms of accuracy and reliability.
    Thanks,
    Art.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I know you said you prefer bolt guns, but do you own an AR-15?

For $230, you could get a complete upper, in .450 Bushmaster to set on top of your AR lower.

I have had a 16" upper for many years and enjoy it. The .450 Bushmaster round is inherently accurate and my upper will shoot one inch groups at 100 yards. I have taken deer out to 262 yards with it.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I’ve got a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK.

My brothers got a Mossberg MVP in 6.5CM.

The Ranch model of rifles have a nice trigger and the stock is okay. Bolt is a little sloppy but works fine. Very accurate barrel

The MVP line of Mossberg have a good trigger and the stock is much nicer then the Ranch stock. Also a very accurate barrel.

I don’t have experience with the Patriot line but if it’s close to the MVP I would lean that way. But honest get what you can find and roll with it

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I know you said you prefer bolt guns, but do you own an AR-15?

For $230, you could get a complete upper, in .450 Bushmaster to set on top of your AR lower.

I have had a 16" upper for many years and enjoy it. The .450 Bushmaster round is inherently accurate and my upper will shoot one inch groups at 100 yards. I have taken deer out to 262 yards with it.
    As a matter of fact I do have an NIB AR complete lower and yes i did consider buying a 450 BM upper but were concerned about the accuracy.
    What upper did you buy and would you recommend it or others as well?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    As a matter of fact I do have an NIB AR complete lower and yes i did consider buying a 450 BM upper but were concerned about the accuracy.
    What upper did you buy and would you recommend it or others as well?
    I have an Alexander Arms upper. When I bought it, years ago, theses uppers were much higher than they are now.
    The price I quoted was an upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. I have one of their uppers in 6.5 Grendel and I would definitely recommend BCA to others. It is an accurate, well made upper. I have friends who have their uppers, as well. (6.5 Grendel and .350 Legend)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    By a very unexpected twist of fate, a friend of mine has decided he no longer wants to use his 450 Bushmaster for hunting. He has already has the rifle SPF and is offering me his dies, brass powder and bullets at a very fair price.
    To buy it all means I will have to buy a rifle.
    Right now in my price range all that is available is:
    Bolt rifles:
    Ruger American
    Mossberg Patriot
    Single shot:
    CVA Outfitter G3
    Henry single shot.

I usually much prefer bolt rifles so can anyone offer me their experience on which rifle the Ruger or Mossberg is the better rifle in terms of accuracy and reliability.
    Thanks,
    Art.
    The Mossberg will likely have a slightly better stock and therefor will likely be a bit more pleasant to shoot. Stocks can always be replaces, of course but that only adds to the cost and by that point you might as well save up for a Bergara.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I was looking at the AR platform, but there are basically no magazines higher than 5-10 rounds. Given that I see no advantage to buying a semi automatic. No capacity increases, and you do lose accuracy compared to a bolt gun.

I went with the Ruger American Ranch, and have been happy with it so far. Not yet gone out to the woods with it, but recoil is very manageable. Even unsupressed. The only thing I noticed is if you don't wrap your trigger hand thumb around the stock, you get a nice hit to your thumb via the safety. Doesn't hurt until you start firing round after round, as I did sighting in a scope. Rifles without the tang safety won't have that.

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I was looking at the AR platform, but there are basically no magazines higher than 5-10 rounds. Given that I see no advantage to buying a semi automatic. No capacity increases, and you do lose accuracy compared to a bolt gun.

I went with the Ruger American Ranch, and have been happy with it so far. Not yet gone out to the woods with it, but recoil is very manageable. Even unsupressed. The only thing I noticed is if you don't wrap your trigger hand thumb around the stock, you get a nice hit to your thumb via the safety. Doesn't hurt until you start firing round after round, as I did sighting in a scope. Rifles without the tang safety won't have that.
    I think the benefit of buying an AR upper over a bolt action would be the price point, if you already own an AR15. Also, 10 round magazines, in an AR, are typically going to be 2-3 times the capacity of most bolt actions, in this caliber.
    Accuracy wise, you are not sacrificing anything in an auto loader vs a bolt gun. I have a couple of buddies that have AR uppers in .450 and they regularly shoot MOA out to 200 yards.

Top Bottom