• ...and so much more!
  • cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    hey everyone.
    I ride (my horse) alot around the property and on the county roads and had a question.... is it legal to carry a shotgun or rifle on my horse? I recently got a mossberg 500 and cut the barrel down to about 18.3" and wanted to carry it on my saddle while riding. and I'm currently looking to get a 30-30 lever action and would like to do the same with it... thanks for your help!

DSCF3041.JPG

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm not sure I'd like to try carrying a long gun on a pig. Those things are pure evil. I'd keep the glock 27 on my side just in case I needed to make some bacon.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Legal to carry however you want, on a horse, pig, goat or even a lawn mower. No laws on the books saying anything about the carry of any long guns in Indiana
    I can't help but wonder about an ATV however:
    Indiana Laws for Off-Road Vehicles: Indiana Off-Road Vehicle Handbook
    Operating Your ORV Legally
    IC-14-16-1-23

An individual may not operate an ORV under any of these conditions:
    While transporting a firearm on or in the ORV unless the firearm is:

• Unloaded and ...
    • Securely encased or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger-housing mechanism

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Nothing wrong with having a weapon on your horse, I find that the best of the best horses still get stupid when you fire a round right above their ears...

It should be mandatory that you have a lever gun on a horse, it's just cool!

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    not only does it sound like a good idea, it sounds like fun. Quick question though, do you have anything in mind that you would need a gun to shoot at while you're riding around?

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    not only does it sound like a good idea, it sounds like fun. Quick question though, do you have anything in mind that you would need a gun to shoot at while you're riding around?

Around where i used to ride abunch we found a couple meth labs,and god forbid you run into these nut jobs while they are cooking.

You can carry a longgun on a horse,and According to a CO in Bartholomew Cty, you may carry on an Atv if you have your LTCH.
    I would like to know what difference it makes for a long gun on an ATv but this is what I was told.

It is illegal to hunt furbearers from any boat. It is illegal to ride an off-road vehicle with a loaded firearm (unless permitted with a valid concealed carry permit). If the individual does not have a valid concealed carry permit, the firearm must also be encased or made inoperative with a trigger lock.

This is from the Dnr hunting rules and regulations,key note I guess is loaded firearm.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I have ridden many miles with a rifle in a saddle scabberd I have only ever shot off of a horse on acouple of occasions and that was pure salesmanship :) (and lots of cotton in his ears) I think with meth heads and 4 legged predators stepping off the horse and getting a good bead on them is allways a better idea. :) also remember you are a harder target on the ground closer to cover than silloetted against the sky when your mounted. If you encounter trouble on the trail use the horses natural ability to run from trouble. You superior mounted speed will allow you to "break contact" with the threat. Then from distance use your rifle to "end contact" just some old cowboy logic applyed to modern times. Like anything else get your pony broke to it all (scabberd flapping,rifle butt banging etc) before you step on and get bucked off. I speak from experience. That ground keeps getting harder each time I hit it :)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You can not hunt from a horse. The rules concerning hunting may be taken straight from the motorized vehicles section or boat section and applied directly replacing vehicle or boat with horse and it would apply the same.

It's just not as common of an occurance so it's not printed in the hunting guide. The guide is just a guide, not ALL of the hunting regulations are printed in the guide.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    You can not hunt from a horse. The rules concerning hunting may be taken straight from the motorized vehicles section or boat section and applied directly replacing vehicle or boat with horse and it would apply the same.

It's just not as common of an occurance so it's not printed in the hunting guide. The guide is just a guide, not ALL of the hunting regulations are printed in the guide.

Yes thanks for covering me on this, I did not intend to state something that would later cause problems.

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    I guess the main reason I was wondering about carrying a rifle/shotgun on my horse was hopefully in the spring of 2012 I'll be crossing the country on horseback with a few other friends... sooner or later I obviously want to get my carry permit, and yes not every state we're going through respects IN permits i.e IL, but thats when the false wagon bed comes in handy.... once we get out west the laws are obviously alot looser. appreciate everyones help!

Top Bottom