• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    I guess the main reason I was wondering about carrying a rifle/shotgun on my horse was hopefully in the spring of 2012 I'll be crossing the country on horseback with a few other friends... sooner or later I obviously want to get my carry permit, and yes not every state we're going through respects IN permits i.e IL, but thats when the false wagon bed comes in handy.... once we get out west the laws are obviously alot looser. appreciate everyones help!

that sounds awesome! what kind of route are you taking? about how long would that take?

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    I have everything planed on paper... It took about all winter to map each turn of every road from New Castle all the way to Copalis Beach WA. yeah mapped every turn, thanks to google earth and yahoo maps... it took forever... try dragging google earth on your computer screen with your mouse at about 2000ft elevation from IN to the coast of WA!!! I like doing work with maps though so that helped. anyway my two other friends are restoring an original wagon to take, one will drive it and me and the other will be outriding. it will take anywhere from 4-7 months, starting in April that way we'll end before cold weather hits.... yeah so thats why I was wondering about carrying a rifle/shotgun on horse.

Dodgerdoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Bloomington
    My father was once evangelizing some of our horses attributes and was asked if they were able to be fired off of. he responded that all of them could be shot off of, but he made no guarantees what they'd do afterwards!

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I've never had a horse that you couldn't shoot off of (once), sometimes the second shot is more challenging.

Some horses take to it better than others. I had a tri-colored paint one time that just refused to put up with it. Tried everything including ear plugs and he just never would keep his feet on the ground. With long guns just try to avoid shooting over his head near the ears. Most horses will take to hand guns better since it is farther from their ears. Black powder is better too because it makes more of a boom rather than a crack. If you could sandwich your horse between two horses that are experienced shooting horses the first time you shoot off of him that usually helps too. Get the horse used to hearing gun shots and smelling the smoke and gun before you ever try to shoot off of him.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Just make sure our shotgun barrel meets the minimum length requirements. Forget what that is. Sorry

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I took a historical horseback ride out of Tombstone last year where we recreated Wyatt Earp's Vendetta Ride.

Our route took us to some extremely dangerous areas on the border on a number of occasions and the organizer of the trip encouraged us to come armed.

I wore two single-actions and carried a Model 94 in a saddle scabbard, butt forward, where I could snatch it in an emergency.

One day we all rode down Allen Street in Tombstone, all armed, and not a single antigun weenie called the police on us. The tourists ate it up.

Damn, was that refreshing!!!

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Nobody has mentioned it since you told us why you are asking, But you should check other states laws. I dont know off hand and I certainly do not know the route you are taking, but there may be a state (or even a county) with a law or ordinance along the way making this Illegal

Last edited:
    Top Bottom