• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    Why would this be any different than the same for men? Do women use different hamnmers to drive nails? different saws to cut wood, or what? The job determines the tool, not the worker using said tool.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Cool little article. Still not much in the way of complete winner. I will make this observation about working with new shooters, both women and men. The snub nosed revolvers and little pocket pistols are hard to shoot. Heavy triggers, poor sights, light and not much to hold onto. It is not uncommon for the 38 snubbies and little pocket rocket .380s to go back in the bags and people finish a course of fire with a different gun. Service sized guns are good place to start. I found the comments about the 1911 interesting. I have seen a lot of smaller people shoot a full size 1911 with no problems.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    One of the eternal questions on INGO is "what is the right gun for my wife/girlfriend?" The answer is the one that they feel comfortable with, the right tool for the person doing the job. When changing a tire what do you use? Tire iron? 4 way? Breaker bar with socket? Airgun? Electric impact? No one tool is right all the time.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    They thought the CZ "had the most kick".

They thought the KelTec P3AT was "most accurate" and had "not too much kick", and "laser made it shoot most accurately"?

The only thing I learned from this is that maybe women are afraid of BBG's (big black guns) [the CZ is thicker than 1911, and blacker than SP101]. The P3AT/LCP actually has more recoil than any 9mm I've ever shot besides the PF9.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Relative to a full size gun, all of those little guns suck to shoot. I've never really understood why guy noobs get assaulted with "this is what you should buy because I love it" and girl noobs get "this is what you should buy because it is a great gun for women." I think we push a lot of noobs away with this crap.

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    ALL first guns should be .22lr, due to their lessened amounts of blast and recoil, even if the ammo AINT 5x cheaper than any centerfire rd. Before the .22, tho, you should shoot a lot of airsoft, with a good coach. It will save you a lot of money and wasted time and probably, the development of a flinch that will hurt your performance thruout your shooting career. So you "lose" $100 if and when you decide that you no longer need it, so what? It's probably saved you 20c per 1000 rds fired, and you need to fire several thousand rds just to master the .22lr. Plus you can use it to teach novices once you are skilled. If you both buy and sell thru private parties, (testfiring the .22 before you buy) you won't lose any money, or very little, for having learned with that .22.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Hmmmm....I thought people wore black because it made them look slimmer?

:stickpoke:
    Doesn't matter what color it is, when you stick a flat, square object off the side of a round, wide object, said round wide object looks rounder and wider. *sigh* At least I can respond if anybody has the nerve to comment about it.

ALL first guns should be .22lr, due to their lessened amounts of blast and recoil, even if the ammo AINT 5x cheaper than any centerfire rd. Before the .22, tho, you should shoot a lot of airsoft, with a good coach. It will save you a lot of money and wasted time and probably, the development of a flinch that will hurt your performance thruout your shooting career. So you "lose" $100 if and when you decide that you no longer need it, so what? It's probably saved you 20c per 1000 rds fired, and you need to fire several thousand rds just to master the .22lr. Plus you can use it to teach novices once you are skilled. If you both buy and sell thru private parties, (testfiring the .22 before you buy) you won't lose any money, or very little, for having learned with that .22.

puh-leeez. My first experience shooting was a .38 out of a GP100. Later than same range trip we stepped up to .357s.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Doesn't matter what color it is, when you stick a flat, square object off the side of a round, wide object, said round wide object looks rounder and wider. *sigh* At least I can respond if anybody has the nerve to comment about it.

Far be it from me....

(As if I had any room to talk :lmfao: )

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    yeah, and I'd give odds that the 357 makes you flinch in rapidfire, too. :-) have someone videotape you firing one, say, a lousy 3 shots per second, and post it here. :-) Just because you "fire' a gun doesn't make you a swift, accurate shottist, you know. MEN should all start with .22's, too.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    22's are great for target practice, but I do not think it is a necessity unless the person is very recoil shy. I have taken several new shooters to the range both men and women and generally start with a 9 or 38 special. I only have one BUG gun witch is a Ruger LCR. One of the last ladies I took worked her way from the 38 to 9 to 40 and finished with a full size 1911 in 45. Of all the guns she fired she loved the 1911. The wife is the same way, she carries a Kimber Ultra Raptor II and loves shooting it. The other ladies all liked different guns for different reasons. All I do is let them shoot everything and help them with proper grip, stance and sight alignment. The rest is up to them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Great little article. I find it hard to beleive that none of the women shooters had dificulty with racking the slide of any of the automatic chosen. (for instance the shield can be a bit much to chamber for some women). That is the sole reason that my girlfriend picked the S&W 642 .38 spl. She looked at all guns at 4 different gunshops and still decided on the little snubnose

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    22's are great for target practice, but I do not think it is a necessity unless the person is very recoil shy. I have taken several new shooters to the range both men and women and generally start with a 9 or 38 special. I only have one BUG gun witch is a Ruger LCR. One of the last ladies I took worked her way from the 38 to 9 to 40 and finished with a full size 1911 in 45. Of all the guns she fired she loved the 1911. The wife is the same way, she carries a Kimber Ultra Raptor II and loves shooting it. The other ladies all liked different guns for different reasons. All I do is let them shoot everything and help them with proper grip, stance and sight alignment. The rest is up to them.

THIS! I started my girls with choice of .38 spc., .380 or 9mm. Then worked into larger calibers. They all prefer the .45 now, but they have also fired .357, .41 & 44 mag. Yes, we all fire a .22 revolver or rifle from time to time, but not often.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    yeah, and I'd give odds that the 357 makes you flinch in rapidfire, too. :-) have someone videotape you firing one, say, a lousy 3 shots per second, and post it here. :-) Just because you "fire' a gun doesn't make you a swift, accurate shottist, you know. MEN should all start with .22's, too.
    When did God join INGO?

I'm impressed with your ability to know all things about all people.

I can handle a .357 with no problem. I do not have a flinch. Whether or not I can throw a string of 3 shots down range up to an arbitrary standard that you have fabricated off the top of your head is completely irrelevant to the fact that I didn't start with a .22. Moreover, I could have started with a .22 and I might still have problems shooting a .357 to your standard. And it would, again, have nothing to do with the fact that I started on a .22 or something else. In would, in fact, have everything to do with the fact that I don't enjoy shoot the .357 very often because I don't enjoy shooting revolvers, the frame for our model is just a tad too large/heavy for comfort, and when I shot the .357 I am doing so to maintain a minimum level of proficiency with it. Make that bet worthwhile and supply me with one that fits better and the ammo to practice, and I'll take you up on your bet.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    My wife started with a .38 spl. My oldest daughter (22), started with a 9 mm. Youngest daughter (18), started with my 1911 (.45 ACP). The girls were early teens when they started shooting. Wife just started a couple years ago. ALL my ladies like the 1911 the best.

Top Bottom