• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I just posted a pic of my daughter and her LC9. Overall took about 4mo to decide. It met most of the features based om her type of use. Aafter taking the pic and posting just now. She said the next one she wants is an XDs. The XDs will be her home and travel wepon. I like that after our search she came away with a good understanding of what each caliber can do. Having the right tool in the tool box makes all the difference.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ALL first guns should be .22lr, due to their lessened amounts of blast and recoil, even if the ammo AINT 5x cheaper than any centerfire rd. Before the .22, tho, you should shoot a lot of airsoft, with a good coach. It will save you a lot of money and wasted time and probably, the development of a flinch that will hurt your performance thruout your shooting career. So you "lose" $100 if and when you decide that you no longer need it, so what? It's probably saved you 20c per 1000 rds fired, and you need to fire several thousand rds just to master the .22lr. Plus you can use it to teach novices once you are skilled. If you both buy and sell thru private parties, (testfiring the .22 before you buy) you won't lose any money, or very little, for having learned with that .22.

Many people are finding it very difficult to find .22 ammo these days. I don't see the benefit of starting with a gun that you can't practice with.

IMO managing recoil is every bit as important as trigger press and sight alignment. While I can understand the principle of focusing on two of those aspects and postponing the other, I don't necessarily agree with it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Nobody thinks there is one "right gun" for men (you Glock fanbois pipe down) so why would anyone think there is one "right gun" for a woman? Here's a crazy idea. Let her shoot several and pick for herself.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Why would this be any different than the same for men? Do women use different hamnmers to drive nails? different saws to cut wood, or what? The job determines the tool, not the worker using said tool.
    You couldn't be more wrong. I mentioned in another thread that I took my son to an NRA basic pistol class with several women attendees. Two of the women didn't have the hand strength to overcome the magazine spring so were unable to load. Maybe a tool like the Glock magazine loader would have helped or, if not, a revolver. They also did not have the strength to rack the slides on the guns they'd been sold. Both these women would have been well served by having an opportunity to try a bunch at a range rather than be sold what the LGS happened to have in the cabinet. It's not just a female thing - an older gentleman didn't have the finger strength to shoot his double action revolver. One size doesn't fit all.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I think many women don't know the correct way to rack the slide. I learned it by reading an article and then trying what it suggested. I have not had a problem with either of my .45s as I shoot them enough that they are not as stiff as they were when I first got them, but it is easier. The article suggested gripping the slide in your non-dominant hand and then pushing the gun forward with the dominant one. You are stronger with your dominant hand to it is easier to push the gun than to pull the slide. Works great for me! I learned to shoot with my dad's .45 revolver (target pistol) when I was 12 and fell in love with that gun. Now I have all ACPs but told him that gun is my only request from his estate some day. I have a .22 semi auto and it is fun to shoot and cheaper to practice with, but still like my bigger guns better.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My very first range trip I shot a Taurus Model 669 357 magnum, a S&W Bodyguard 380 & a Taurus lightweight 38 special. I strongly disliked the lightweight 38 special and I hated the Bodyguard. I really liked my big boat anchor of a 357 best.

When I was looking for a smaller gun to carry I keep finding that it was the 357's I was attracted to. They felt the best in my hand. My first carry gun was a Ruger SP101 357 magnum. I really like the gun and keep going back to it as my EDC even though I have bought other guns with the intent to carry them instead.

Even if my SP101 may someday not be my preferred EDC, it has helped me be prepared for the short comings of other guns. The SP101 has a long trigger pull so when I first started shooting my LCP its long trigger pull was no big deal. The LCP can be a little snappy but so can the SP101. If I wasn't already accustomed to these things with the SP101 they could be deal breakers with other guns.

mudmonkeyxj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    So. Bend
    I cant seem to convince my fiancé that she needs to file for her carry permit, heck I cant convince her to go to the range yet. any ideas on how to convince her lol

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I cant seem to convince my fiancé that she needs to file for her carry permit, heck I cant convince her to go to the range yet. any ideas on how to convince her lol

My wife likes to go wherever she thinks I'll be having fun. Sometimes I think it's just for "together" time and sometimes I think it's to squelch the fun. :laugh:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom