• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Will a sonic cleaner work for cleaning baffles?
    I've used a sonic cleaner with the product it came with for cleaning and there was not much removed from the baffles. I'm thinking of trying the sonic cleaner with ROLEXrifleman's suggestion of CLR. It might speed up the process.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Don't use CLR if you have aluminum baffles... Or use an ultrasonic if you have aluminum baffles...

Don't buy a suppressor with aluminum baffles...

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I use my sonic cleaner with a 50% mixture of Simply Green Purple and water. Never had a problem and it works great.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    10-4, the baffles I pictured was purely a 4 hour soak in CLR and a quick nylon brush off of each baffle. After that I hosted them down with oil and wiped off. An ultra sonic with CLR would cut the time in half I believe as the ultrasonic cleaner will warm the temp of the CLR and break apart the crud with the ultrasonic waves.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Don't buy a suppressor with aluminum baffles...

Yup

10-4, the baffles I pictured was purely a 4 hour soak in CLR and a quick nylon brush off of each baffle. After that I hosted them down with oil and wiped off. An ultra sonic with CLR would cut the time in half I believe as the ultrasonic cleaner will warm the temp of the CLR and break apart the crud with the ultrasonic waves.

Damn, that stuff worked great. Will have to give it a shot when it's time to clean my Oculus

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Make sure the pan on your ultrasonic isn't aluminium.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I never tried the dip... I just use my tumbler with stainless steel beads with water and lemon shine... turn on for an hour or so and they come out nice and shiny

3mT4W87.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I just cleaned (barely) my 455 for the first time in about a year, it's been shooting great for hundreds of rounds and I was curious how dirty it was.

The bolt face was the only dirty part. Patches came out nearly clean. (I don't run the full length of the barrel very often, just the first few inches). I was stunned how clean it actually was. Barrel seems like it could go thousands of rounds without cleaning.

Why do I say this?

Where does all that crud in the suppressor come from? Does rimfire blow everything out the barrel instead of leaving it in the bore?

What ammo was this? HV? SV? Subs?

I shoot mostly Aguila and Geco ammo, with a fair amount of Federal mixed in. None of these loads appears to be very dirty. (not true of Rem or Win IME-- tend to be nasty).

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Mostly aguila and federal subs. Rifling isn't going to trap the filth like a suppressor does. I see similar results on compensators, but not the build up as it can still find a way out. the ports get dirty but run a patch through the barrel and it comes out almost clean.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I used the dip for my stainless baffles last time and it worked ok, but not nearly as clean as JollyMon's tumbled baffles. I'm going to try that next time the Stinger goes down for cleaning.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    And guys, don’t confuse “the dip” with CLR. The dip is a combination of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. CLR is just the plain old household cleaner. The dip once mixed, in and of itself, becomes a toxic solution. Not that CLR is any less harmful but I remeber reading that the vinegar and peroxide mix is worse. And this is even before we add the lead to the mix

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    And guys, don’t confuse “the dip” with CLR. The dip is a combination of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. CLR is just the plain old household cleaner. The dip once mixed, in and of itself, becomes a toxic solution. Not that CLR is any less harmful but I remeber reading that the vinegar and peroxide mix is worse. And this is even before we add the lead to the mix

Yes, the dip is much more toxic. It creates, I believe it’s called lead acetate. Whatever happens with the chemical reaction and lead, it essentially becomes liquid lead that is instantly absorbed by the skin. If you try the dip, wear gloves glasses and be very very careful. Allow the solution to dry outside in the sun and evaporate until just the lead remains. Or just wet tumble occasionally like me. Don’t wet tumble any parts that are threaded.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    So soda blasting is about the only way to get aluminum baffles cleaned?

If I'd have had access to a soda blasting cabinet, I'd have probably tried that on my aluminum suppressor.

As it turned out, however, my suppressor had to go back to the Mother Ship for spa treatment. And, unfortunately, a new baffle or two.

Should I ever get another .22 suppressor, it ain't gonna have aluminum baffles. That's for sure.

Top Bottom