• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Check the rear sight to make sure it's in place correctly and tight. The one my F-I-L bought worked about half out of the dovetail in about 50 rounds.
    I just checked and the screw that holds the sight assy into the dovetail was loose enough that I could wiggle the whole sight by hand. Snugged it up and good to go. Thank you for the heads up!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Hahaha...made me check mine. It was also loose but the sight would only move a small amount. Snugged it up with a dab of loctite.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    Oh my!
    I believe you have my dream gun! :thumbsup:
    And that scope!!! :rockwoot:
    I assume you can see where the bullets are hitting with it at 100 yds. :)
    Love that dark green, also!

No problem seeing hits at 100. Shooting paper, I usually use 16x to 18x at 100 and 20x at 200 and 250 (our club's longest berm).
    Gun as you see it was super simple to "build." Dropping the 457 into the Oryx literally is a matter of two allen-head screws. I did add the maximum 4 buttstock spacers, 'cause I need a long LOP ... about 15 inches.
    In all, we've got a 457 Varmint with factory barrel and trigger, Oryx chassis, Area 419 30 moa rail, Vortex Pro Series medium-height rings, Vortex 6-24x50 Diamondback Tactical Scope and a Magpul M-lock bipod. Not in this picture is a DIP "Executive" conical bolt knob that I've added. Also added the tool-less adjustment knobs for the cheek piece.
    Did some research, shot a few buddies' guns. I did spend some bucks, but from jump street I was looking for something simple to operate and dependable, 'cause I'm not a very knowledgeable rifleman. This is my first dedicated bench/prone gun.
    She's easily sub-MOA at 100, although the best I've been able to do to date is about .7 -- I'm still a rookie. At moment, the rifle's got way more capability than the shooter, but things are coming along.
    I may go a Lilja barrel next year. :)

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    Here's a standing gopher 100-yard target from a practice session today. I'd score it an 89. IIRC, correctly, the 6-ring and 7-ring hits were my first two shots and really pissed me off; then I took a breath, chilled out and got back to work.

Attachments

• Mr. Gopher .jpg
      Mr. Gopher .jpg
      512.4 KB · Views: 24

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Well it's official... Trading my Beretta 21A Inox for a Ruger LCP II .22LR tomorrow.

I loved the way the Beretta handled, however it was annoying at best as a range toy, and an absolute liability at worst as a pocket/backup carry. It needed to be absolutely spotless to function with any degree of reliability due to the lack of an extractor.

We'll see how the Ruger fares (good overall, with some incidents of light primer strikes from what I've heard).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well it's official... Trading my Beretta 21A Inox for a Ruger LCP II .22LR tomorrow.
    I loved the way the Beretta handled, however it was annoying at best as a range toy, and an absolute liability at worst as a pocket/backup carry. It needed to be absolutely spotless to function with any degree of reliability due to the lack of an extractor.
    We'll see how the Ruger fares (good overall, with some incidents of light primer strikes from what I've heard).

I never met a .22LR I didn't like (except for the Walther P22 (tried twice) for some reason).
    I've had many of the Beretta tip-up barrels in 22, 25 & 32 caliber & always liked them.
    Still have an Inox .32 that I just can't give up b/c it is utterly reliable & fun, with its "meaty" grip, when I need a true pocket CC, it is there for me.

I was going to buy a Ruger LCP 3 different times now.
    If it would have come with a 2nd mag, I would have bought one at Point Blank a month ago when I had one in my hand, but I didn't.
    I never get in a hurry if I have to buy new ($299).

I did ask to shoot one with the program they have of doing so if you are interested in buying.
    After shooting one, and I enjoy the challenge of doing so with a really small .22LR (like the Beretta), but I did not enjoy it at all.
    Like I read online (along with so many other reliability issues), it shot very low, even at only 7 yds (if it shot high, I could deal with that).

I recommend shooting one at Point Blank or a friend's before buying, but that is just me.
    If I could pick a used one up from someone I trusted where I know it would function properly, I would for $250.
    I had a friend here who bought one when they first came out & he could not get it to function properly and he sold it for $200, he was so mad.
    That scared me away upon their initial release. :dunno:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I had one for a while. Functioned perfect for me with a variety of ammo. Traded it for something I thought I would like more and have regretted it. Seems reliability is a little hit or miss with them but probably won’t be worse than the beretta and If you don’t like I’m sure you can trade or sell. Ruger also has the best service department out there. So if you’re unhappy with it they will fix it

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up zachcz's Savage 2 in Shelbyville for the 2nd time this evening & even though it beat my RPR @ 100 yds, it wasn't on the same day.
    I'm holding onto the hope that it was b/c of using different ammo or the wind. :dunno:
    My last hope to redeem my Rugers against his discount, youth, light, plastic Savage: but it still beat me! :ugh:

But, tomorrow, I'll do a head-to-head with both rifles, using the same ammo.
    I think I'll get out my CCI SV & take along some CCI Mini-Mags as back up.

I just made arrangements to try out another rifle from another member to see how it shoots, but I forgot to ask permission to post about it.
    I'm picking it up Thursday if everything goes to plan.
    Details to follow on that one: it's an interesting outlier! :coffee:
    On another note: after firing Rala/Bob's Kimber single-shot Monday when we met for me to check out his Henry Pump, I looked it up on Armslist.
    Not a single one for sale used in the whole U.S.

I was interested after seeing what Rala did with it: putting 1 hole in a target at 100 yds.
    Actually, it was one single mark after 5 shots on a steel target I'd sprayed white paint on.
    I probably couldn't do that with my eyes & my level of scopes, but I can dream.

Previous pic with Savage 2 (about 3.5 - 4" group)
    nKpvPX3.jpg

Previous RPR pic on 4" red target
    joJISEd.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    100 yard 22lr shooting is a real challenge! The best I ever did was with a Sako P94S Finnfire Varmint. Of my current 22 rifles my CZs do the best at 100 yards. I used to shoot in the early evening years ago when the range conditions were really calm.

Top Bottom