• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I cannot tell you how much pleasure I get from reading of the experiences of all, using different rifles and scopes and ammo!
    Very, very informative & educational.
    I cannot help but notice how the CZ 455/457 keeps coming up, along with the Ruger as a starting point, and for some, after Volquartsen or Kidd barrels, along with triggers and more, an end point.
    When I started looking at .22LR rifles, it was recommended to me by a member here, 3 rifles to limit myself to (knowing my propensity to go down "rabbit holes"), and this thread certainly bears that out in application.
    The range pics are totally awesome, bordering on inspirational. :thumbsup:
    The observation that they could be better is mind-blowing to me. :facepalm:

I took my CZ 455 with a Leupold 2-7 out yesterday to do some ammo testing. Thought I’d start out with some CCI SV to check the scope and get an accuracy baseline. Given the results, I didn’t test anymore than the below 19 shots.

The first group is a ten shot group that was pretty much point and pull on a cold barrel.

The second pic is three 3-shot groups on a warm barrel. After these groups, I adjusted the scope a little and called it a day.

For a factory gun with a heavy trigger (working on that next), the CZ 455 holds it own.

9829d6a9d2f6971b38460ee3d0b9bb3f.jpg

d393e115409e49ea7a3bd767852463ad.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I took my CZ 455 with a Leupold 2-7 out yesterday to do some ammo testing. Thought I’d start out with some CCI SV to check the scope and get an accuracy baseline. Given the results, I didn’t test anymore than the below 19 shots.

The first group is a ten shot group that was pretty much point and pull on a cold barrel.

The second pic is three 3-shot groups on a warm barrel. After these groups, I adjusted the scope a little and called it a day.

For a factory gun with a heavy trigger (working on that next), the CZ 455 holds it own.

You didn't use my targets I left for you? Maybe they were ruined by the rain perhaps.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    You didn't use my targets I left for you? Maybe they were ruined by the rain perhaps.

Heck - I didn't even look at it to see if it was used...I just used a target that was up as I was just getting a baseline before going through the ammo testing motions.

I will still test a couple different ammo types but if CCI SV runs that good, I won't be feeding it "expensive" stuff anyway....

The trigger needs a little work but I think a Fastenal 160A spring will get me to what I want (thanks for the info Turbo!).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    2-7X Leupold VX1 (non parallax adjusted) going on my 455 in a bit.
    Boxed up the Freedom EFR 3-9X.
    The big flat on the turret side, plus cylinder eye piece (not bell) just doesn't look right.
    Maybe on a tacticool, but not on a classic looking rifle.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just got back from ~3 hours at Hoosier Hills. Thanks again to gmcttr for inviting 88 and I out, as we had a great time. There was only a light breeze when we started shooting, but it got a bit gustier once we pushed out to 100 yards. All in all, not a bad day. Shot only my RART. Brought Annie but was having such a great time with the new gun that I stuck with it.

Here's the main target sheet I shot today, showing the 100 yard targets on the left and the 50 yard targets on the right:

aLyF8XNh.jpg

The top two 100 yard targets were .93 and .74, which were fantastic. I switched over and shot 3 lollipops with 6 shots, which I thought wasn't bad for the distance. Came back and shot the bottom two 100 yard targets, but it started getting windy and I had major fliers, so we decided to stop.

Here are images of the better of the two 50 yard targets (the ones on the bottom. Ignore the lone round under the targets as that was a flier from a target that was pasted under those two targets):

ASaCAqgh.jpg

4auFvYUh.jpg

GwSpSFYh.jpg

The target on the left was .46 and the one on the right was .35 and I was able to get 7 lollipops with 10 rounds with CCI SV. I managed to get two other groups on another target under .5" and 4 other targets just over .5" (all under .55"). I'm reasonably satisfied with the results today... :yesway:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Oh, should have mentioned my best groups were using CCI green tag, Lapua Midas + and Wolf Match Target.

Some really good groups there!! It has been many years since I have used Green Tag or Lapua Midas but the Wolf has performed really well for me especially in my older CZ 452. I may have to check into adding a Ruger American in 22lr after seeing how good yours shoots!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Some really good groups there!! It has been many years since I have used Green Tag or Lapua Midas but the Wolf has performed really well for me especially in my older CZ 452. I may have to check into adding a Ruger American in 22lr after seeing how good yours shoots!

Thank you sir. The model I have is the Ruger American Rimfire Target, with the thumbhole stock. Not sure if the regular Ruger American Rimfire shoots as well, or not.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I did put the 2-7X Leupold on, and my old '76 Bianchi double suede cobra sling.
    Think it looks proper, even if not of mil pattern.

The Andy's Leather sling I like, but w brass hardware had a little too much bling for the subdued CZ.

Guess I should keep an eye out for a Ruger #1A in .243 win..........got a sling that needs a rifle LOL

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Certainly a great time at the range with wtb and 88 today although it started off so humid that the lollipop residue stuck to my target stands and I had to hose them down when I got home (yeah, yeah...first world problems).

I was hoping to get some groups of 0.25" at 50 yards and under 1 MOA at 100 yards but that simply was not happening today. The good news is that a thorough cleaning of the rifle did bring the groups back down from what they were my last time out.

These are my better 5 shot 50 yard groups from today...

4I1knqQ.jpg

bnMJB2l.jpg

A 10 shot group (dang flyer)...

GUWxj8y.jpg

A couple of the more typical frustrating groups...

H1oftzg.jpg

And two from 100 yards (frustrating because I had stayed under 1" on a previous trip with one group at 0.673")...

qJgmOhY.jpg

We also hit a 6" plate at 200 yards a few times with the .22lr's. That's right around a 24 MOA holdover.

I also managed to ring a silhouette at 200 yards with my Glock 43 offhand but only once out of 6 shots. Felt good anyway.

Thanks again to 88 and wtb for an enjoyable range trip.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Certainly a great time at the range with wtb and 88 today although it started off so humid that the lollipop residue stuck to my target stands and I had to hose them down when I got home (yeah, yeah...first world problems).

I was hoping to get some groups of 0.25" at 50 yards and under 1 MOA at 100 yards but that simply was not happening today. The good news is that a thorough cleaning of the rifle did bring the groups back down from what they were my last time out.

These are my better 5 shot 50 yard groups from today...

4I1knqQ.jpg

bnMJB2l.jpg

A 10 shot group (dang flyer)...

GUWxj8y.jpg

A couple of the more typical frustrating groups...

H1oftzg.jpg

And two from 100 yards (frustrating because I had stayed under 1" on a previous trip with one group at 0.673")...

qJgmOhY.jpg

We also hit a 6" plate at 200 yards a few times with the .22lr's. That's right around a 24 MOA holdover.
    I also managed to ring a silhouette at 200 yards with my Glock 43 offhand but only once out of 6 shots. Felt good anyway.
    Thanks again to 88 and wtb for an enjoyable range trip.

I can't wait for things to settle down with you and this frenzied unbelievable .22LR rifle shooting you're doing, so I can see it first hand.
    It really is fun to see these range pics you and the others are posting. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom