• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Still waiting to hear a better suggestion under $200. If you don't think a Weaver GS is a MUCH better scope than a CFii, vx1, or a prostaff.....well, I don't know what to tell you.
    And I'm still waiting for you to start that intelligent discussion persuading us that this scope is the best. All you've done so far is post a link and say trust me, it's better ... which is exactly what you said was wrong with all the other scope recommendations currently being made.

Imagine it ... you can break the mold and can change the culture of the scope threads on INGO ... all you have to do is start the intelligent discussion you claim you want.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    depending on your budget take a look at the Crossfire II line from Vortex. They seem to be a great value for the money, Give Alan a shout I'm sure he can get you taken care of.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ok, in the interest of promoting intelligent discussion, looking at the scopes, broadly at this point.

Country of Origin:
    Vortex Diamondback and Crossfire - China
    Leupold - USA
    Nikon and Weaver - Japan

Warranty:
    As far as I can tell, they all have a lifetime/limited lifetime sort of warranty. The Leupold goes with the scope, I believe, not just with the original owner. One might argue the weight to give to the longevity/reputation of the company and/or the customer service aspect of this, but on the surface, they appear comparable.

Glass:
    I'm not sure how to discuss this. Light transmission? Color? Coatings?

Features:
    As far as I know, only the Weaver Grand Slam has adjustable parallax in the under $200 range we've been considering.

"Innards":
    Weaver Grand Slam - metal guts according to seedubs1.
    Anyone know about the others?
    Does it matter?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The Vortex offerings have metal guts, as do Weaver. They will reliably track and hold zero unless you get a lemon (all companies produce lemons). Both companies will take care of you. Vortex wins in CS, though. They are VERY good with their CS. I can't say anything bad about Weaver's CS, but Vortex is just that good with their CS.

Nikon's prostaff level scopes (you had specified their rimfire, which is a prostaff level scope) have plastic guts. They won't track, and won't hold zero as well as the other scopes you're looking at. Also, Nikon Prostaff level scopes are not Japan made. Last info I had, they were made in the Philippines. I'd generally say to stay away from Nikon Prostaff scopes. There's better out there for the same money.

Out of the bunch, the Weaver GS will have the best glass. It's more on par with Vortex's Viper offerings. Yes to all of your questions regarding glass, and the coatings will be most important. Being Weaver's 2nd tier scope, I would expect it to be more durable and to have better QC than the Vortex DB or CF2 as well. From what I've handled, the GS seems more on par with a Vortex Viper than the DB and CF2.

Direct communication I got from Weaver regarding their rimfire scope when I inquired a while back (confirms no plastic in any of their scopes):
    "We use no plastic on our scopes. There are a couple different metals used in our scopes. Outer tubes, erector tubes and other various parts are aircraft grade aluminum. The collar that the turrets ride on inside the scope, are brass.

Thanks

Weaver Optics
    BB"

Sorry, I can't speak much to Leupold. I don't look into them too much because they generally seem to be too expensive for what you get, and I can get a better scope for cheaper from another company.

Ok, in the interest of promoting intelligent discussion, looking at the scopes, broadly at this point.

Country of Origin:
    Vortex Diamondback and Crossfire - China
    Leupold - USA
    Nikon and Weaver - Japan

Warranty:
    As far as I can tell, they all have a lifetime/limited lifetime sort of warranty. The Leupold goes with the scope, I believe, not just with the original owner. One might argue the weight to give to the longevity/reputation of the company and/or the customer service aspect of this, but on the surface, they appear comparable.

Glass:
    I'm not sure how to discuss this. Light transmission? Color? Coatings?

Features:
    As far as I know, only the Weaver Grand Slam has adjustable parallax in the under $200 range we've been considering.

"Innards":
    Weaver Grand Slam - metal guts according to seedubs1.
    Anyone know about the others?
    Does it matter?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom