Riot/Civil Unrest coming to Indy due to Officer Piland being vindicated?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The kid was 6' 215#...the officer he fought with and was 5'7" 150. Most people for brandon's side misidentified the person hitting brandon when shown a photo array. They all said it was an officer who looks nothing like piland and wasn't even on scene. Brandon testified that piland was punching him in the right side of the face while he was face down on the ground, however he and all other witnesses testified that he was on his left side the entire time. The initial letter from IA cleared piland of any wrong doing. The letter said after reviewing the evidence and interviewing all 20 witnesses we find piland exonerated of the charges...4 days later he was fired. The letter stated that of the 20 witnesses there wasn't a cohesive statement among any of them. Kautzman determined that they found 4 more witnesses in that time to interview. 2 more cops and 2 more civilian witnesses. He then asked, "what about these 2 civilian witness statements were so compelling that you go from 'exonerated' to 'fired'?" They also determined that when the handcuffs were on, all the punching stopped. On cross examination every one of the witnesses fell apart, one admitted that he wasn't anywhere near the scene. They all gave conflicting accounts to what happened and most even helped piland's case but didn't realize it. As far as the attorneys go, kautzman was amazing, the city rep was horrible and stammered through the whole process.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The kid was 6' 215#...the officer he fought with and was 5'7" 150. Most people for brandon's side misidentified the person hitting brandon when shown a photo array. They all said it was an officer who looks nothing like piland and wasn't even on scene. Brandon testified that piland was punching him in the right side of the face while he was face down on the ground, however he and all other witnesses testified that he was on his left side the entire time. The initial letter from IA cleared piland of any wrong doing. The letter said after reviewing the evidence and interviewing all 20 witnesses we find piland exonerated of the charges...4 days later he was fired. The letter stated that of the 20 witnesses there wasn't a cohesive statement among any of them. Kautzman determined that they found 4 more witnesses in that time to interview. 2 more cops and 2 more civilian witnesses. He then asked, "what about these 2 civilian witness statements were so compelling that you go from 'exonerated' to 'fired'?" They also determined that when the handcuffs were on, all the punching stopped. On cross examination every one of the witnesses fell apart, one admitted that he wasn't anywhere near the scene. They all gave conflicting accounts to what happened and most even helped piland's case but didn't realize it. As far as the attorneys go, kautzman was amazing, the city rep was horrible and stammered through the whole process.

I'm not sure why the officer would want to keep the job? His boss and the mayor didn't stick by his side. I never heard where the officer had any issues like this in his file, so why didn't they just say, "we'll let the investigation be conducted without our input and hopefully the truth will be revealed?"

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'm not sure why the officer would want to keep the job? His boss and the mayor didn't stick by his side. I never heard where the officer had any issues like this in his file, so why didn't they just say, "we'll let the investigation be conducted without our input and hopefully the truth will be revealed?"

They were playing politics instead of doing their jobs.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Because we do this job in the face of these negatives. It is more than just a paycheck. We are here for 30yrs, Mayors, chiefs, public safety directors come and go...we are here for the duration.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

I don't think the job is about keeping the Mayor and Police Chief happy. Others have survived the displeasure of a politically-embarrassed boss before and as long as he continues to do his job there is no reason why Officer Piland can't continue to perform his duties with the department.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    There are two perspectives that should be noted here:

1. Those who threaten civil unrest for our societal issues based on their experience from what has happened in the past; and

2. Those who threaten civil unrest for our societal issues based on their fear of what could happen in the future.

I have seen many voice support for one and disdain of the other. In my opinion neither is the right approach for today. I say that based on our nations laws and history. Civil unrest (violence) worked one time in this nation's history and that one time is all that was needed.

I learned the poem "Fear" when I pledged my fraternity and I'm seeing a great deal of people being infected by it. It does nothing but lead to separation, finger pointing, and negative reflections on past issues, leading some to say "Get over it!" and others, "You can't move forward if you forget your past!" I am thankful that I sit in neither camp and continue to see all people as equal, regardless of our various differences.

At least we can see our officers get some support in these kinds of threads, so rep to the OP for that.

+1

Interesting to see how some on this forum stereotype a group based on the actions of a few. I would think that we (gun owners) have been the victims of stereotyping enough to avoid doing the same to other groups.

Also, actually knowing Rev Harrison, I believe his comments reflects his understanding of how some fractions would react to the outcome, and does not reflect a call to riot.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    the pic of the guy in the middle is understandable if you consider he probly has no water. people in colonial america and before and also on ships would drink beer instead of water because it was the only thing safe to drink. in my opinion, looting food or drink is much more acceptable than TV's, bicycles, bb guns, and jewelry

the bottom one made me LOL

Good observation. If you think about it, beer is better than soda.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    He may have trouble getting promoted under this administration, and he may get some ****** assignments for awhile, but I doubt that his career is over.

Alot of promotions are done under the Merit board system. Depends on how he tests. The assignment he is hosed for a bit.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The moral to this entire story is that if you chose to resist arrest you might just get hurt. Don't resist arrest!! Also many chiefs are brown nosing suck a---- that know nothing about the real day to day struggles of modern law enforcement. They will sell you out in a heartbeat to appease the big mouths.

The merit board made the correct decision. I have zero sympathy for our 15 year old resister. :noway: I wonder if he thinks twice the next time. No probably not.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm still waiting for the civil unrest. Work has been pretty boring lately and I was hoping for an opportunity to polish the jack boots and stand on some necks.

Just switch to tennis shoes and go to a tea party event, no doubt a liberal in a blond wig will show up with a fake award that you can throw on the ground and give a good head stomping to ;)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Just switch to tennis shoes and go to a tea party event, no doubt a liberal in a blond wig will show up with a fake award that you can throw on the ground and give a good head stomping to ;)

Tennis shoes don't offer the sole/ankle support that I like. It is hard to get a good head stomp in with soft shoes. :):

Top Bottom