• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    wrong.gif

Picked one up this evening at Rural King. The clerk said they had sold about 30 of them, and had more in stock. I got a gray frame, which is a really dark gray.

Cost with tax was $192.59. Used my 1.5% cash back Visa, so it will end up being $189.70 - $25 rebate = $164.70.

That's Hi-Point money. I've not seen a bad review on these yet, so I figured I'd get one to play with.

So far, I'm confused. It seems to be really well made, especially at the price point. Good ergonomics, good sandpaper texturing on the grip. Trigger is not bad, certainly better than some more expensive guns that I have owned and handled. Excellent short reset. Not a big fan of manual safeties, but this one is positive and doesn't seem like it would be easy to activate accidentally. Has second strike capability. Take down is easy, I didn't notice any burrs or obvious machining marks. And it's a nice looking piece.

It's certainly not going to replace my M&Ps, XD Mod 2, Sig P365 or Glock 45. But if it runs and shoots nice, I will...uh...maybe like it? :):

Could always serve as a bathroom gun. :)

G2c.jpg
    My thinking also, I'm a sucker for a great price and value, new or used. :dunno:
    I went to the range instead to deal with my addiction. :laugh:
    After putting a box each through the P-07 and a Bersa TPR9c I had the strength to abate.
    Enjoy! :thumbsup:
    I have read where someone put 5000 rounds through one with 1 stovepipe!
    I also read where some had this issue or another like all guns will, of course, but most think Taurus got it right this time.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I put 150 rounds through mine today. 100 rounds Speer Lawman 115 grain FMJ and 50 rounds Federal HST 124+P. Zero issues. Smooth little shooter, and accuracy is fine at 7 yards.
    For less than $165, I feel like I got away with something.

I might even put night sights on it. A Taurus. What the hell am I doing? :):

At least Sootch won't laugh at me... :)

[video=youtube;qMSrp-psNAk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMSrp-psNAk[/video]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I put 150 rounds through mine today. 100 rounds Speer Lawman 115 grain FMJ and 50 rounds Federal HST 124+P. Zero issues. Smooth little shooter, and accuracy is fine at 7 yards.
    For less than $165, I feel like I got away with something.

I might even put night sights on it. A Taurus. What the hell am I doing? :):

At least Sootch won't laugh at me... :)

[video=youtube;qMSrp-psNAk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMSrp-psNAk[/video]

I saw the same vid yesterday and that is what tempted me.
    I've seen a few of his vids.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    wrong.gif

Picked one up this evening at Rural King. The clerk said they had sold about 30 of them, and had more in stock. I got a gray frame, which is a really dark gray.

Cost with tax was $192.59. Used my 1.5% cash back Visa, so it will end up being $189.70 - $25 rebate = $164.70.

That's Hi-Point money. I've not seen a bad review on these yet, so I figured I'd get one to play with.

So far, I'm confused. It seems to be really well made, especially at the price point. Good ergonomics, good sandpaper texturing on the grip. Trigger is not bad, certainly better than some more expensive guns that I have owned and handled. Excellent short reset. Not a big fan of manual safeties, but this one is positive and doesn't seem like it would be easy to activate accidentally. Has second strike capability. Take down is easy, I didn't notice any burrs or obvious machining marks. And it's a nice looking piece.

It's certainly not going to replace my M&Ps, XD Mod 2, Sig P365 or Glock 45. But if it runs and shoots nice, I will...uh...maybe like it? :):

Could always serve as a bathroom gun. :)

G2c.jpg

How many mags does it come with?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just called Rural King in Greenwood.
    They had two left and said they would probably sell in the next half-hour.

I was thinking about driving down this evening or in the morning to get one just for fun, but I missed the bullet (pun intended). :lmfao:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I was thinking about driving down this evening or in the morning to get one just for fun, but I missed the bullet (pun intended). :lmfao:

That's disappointing to hear. I will have to give them a call tonight as had planned on driving down tomorrow night after work to pick one up.

I believe you can order one online and have it shipped to the store. Shipping adds $12 to the total cost, but no transfer fee. Still a heck of a deal. I have not seen one bad review of this pistol.

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN

I called the Monticello store and they're out also, they have some black ones left online but I don't really need another 9mm

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I bit the bullet and paid the extra $12 and ordered online. I wish I wouldn't have waited. I was going to do it over the weekend but didn't want to pay shipping fee. I was hoping to get the gray frame but they were sold out as mentioned above.

Total was $205.58 with shipping and sales tax. That's before the rebate, but since I waited to order I have to wait extra days for it to arrive. *Kicks rocks*

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bit the bullet and paid the extra $12 and ordered online. I wish I wouldn't have waited. I was going to do it over the weekend but didn't want to pay shipping fee. I was hoping to get the gray frame but they were sold out as mentioned above.
    Total was $205.58 with shipping and sales tax. That's before the rebate, but since I waited to order I have to wait extra days for it to arrive. *Kicks rocks*

I saw one today at my LGS that was an attractive dark green.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know initially the Fort Wayne store had a bunch of them.
    I went in last Thursday the day they went on sale. I got there around 1:00 and figured they'd be out, but they had a whole shopping cart full of them.
    They said that's all they had been doing all day. I think in the time I was there getting mine they sold 7 of them.
    For that price I figured heck I'll give it a try. It actually feels pretty decent.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Stopped in the Kokomo store today and they had the black but sold out of gray. The guy working the counter said he believed Frankfurt had some. Really like the feel of the gun so maybe I’ll go back and buy the black one or give Logansport a call and see what they have. Hard deal to pass up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Today’s RK Deal is pretty decent

View attachment 76160

Summer of 2017 they were selling the 642 for $300: I ran, not walked to get one.
    But, I found it hard on the hand to shoot, and immediately bought a Delta grip for it: a little relief.
    Over a year later, after reading about the Ruger .357 LXRx I had a chance to pick one up used for $325.
    Everything they said about it was true: trigger much nicer and it had less recoil and was more accurate in my hands.
    After one range trip with the LCRx: sold the S/W 642.

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    Summer of 2017 they were selling the 642 for $300: I ran, not walked to get one.
    But, I found it hard on the hand to shoot, and immediately bought a Delta grip for it: a little relief.
    Over a year later, after reading about the Ruger .357 LXRx I had a chance to pick one up used for $325.
    Everything they said about it was true: trigger much nicer and it had less recoil and was more accurate in my hands.

Same gun as my 642 was, that trigger was so stiff, polished the internals, put lighter springs in and somewhat better but still not fun to shoot. I dry fired it so much I broke the trigger stud, S&W let me upgrade to a 640 for $80.00, probably the best money I ever spent. Never tried the ruger LXRx but I do have several other rugers and no complaints.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville

I was the one that posted the sale on the 642 for you, so I remember.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I bought a new 642 that had an 18# trigger, I traced it to the hand and Rachet binding. So after careful fitting I got it down to 10# and I am very pleased with it now.

Top Bottom