• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    Can anyone tell me about the Rock Island 1911 9mm? It may be alittle late to ask because i picked one up yesterday. I have always been a S&W,GLOCK, kinda guy. I have always wanted a 1911 and the $399 price seemed to good to pass up for a new 1911. The guy told me that ROCK ISLAND 1911's are made with old Colt tooling. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,
    Joe

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    Where did you get it at that price?!
    Quik Cash and Pawn. in Greendale In. 812-537-0064..... They have a good selection of new and used guns. I have shopped around and they have better prices then anyone in southeast indiana. there cash price is 12% over cost. It is a pawn shop with the gun store on one side.Also great to deal with on used guns. the guy that runs the gun store seems very knowledgeable.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I bought one brand new for the same price about 2 months ago. I like it, runs smooth and is very accurate, the first 7 rounds through the gun were almost all touching at about 10 yards. I would recommend buying better mags. 7 rounds in the mag and it runs smooth, fill it with 8 like it should hold and the first round will not feed right. Could be that it is new and the spring it just to stiff.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I bought one brand new for the same price about 2 months ago. I like it, runs smooth and is very accurate, the first 7 rounds through the gun were almost all touching at about 10 yards. I would recommend buying better mags. 7 rounds in the mag and it runs smooth, fill it with 8 like it should hold and the first round will not feed right. Could be that it is new and the spring it just to stiff.
    Can you tell me where i can get more mags? I have looked online but can't find them for a Rock Island in 9mm. Will any 1911 9mm mag fit my gun?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I don't understand 1911 in 9mm. 10mm, maybe, but 9mm seems like a waste of gun because you can get a good 9mm in a much smaller package. I dislike the big CZ's for the same reason.

But if you like it, more power to you :yesway:

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I have the same gun in the 45 ACP....I paid $400 new at a gun show. Have put about 600 rounds throught it and No problems....I love the gun !!

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    I don't understand 1911 in 9mm. 10mm, maybe, but 9mm seems like a waste of gun because you can get a good 9mm in a much smaller package.

Less recoil, lower cost to shoot or practice, and cartridge consistency with other guns would be a few reasons.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I don't understand 1911 in 9mm. 10mm, maybe, but 9mm seems like a waste of gun because you can get a good 9mm in a much smaller package. I dislike the big CZ's for the same reason.

But if you like it, more power to you :yesway:

I have always wanted a 1911. but it will never be my CC gun, so i just figured i would try the 9mm. I always have 9mm ammo but i dont have any guns that shot the 45.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have always wanted a 1911. but it will never be my CC gun, so i just figured i would try the 9mm. I always have 9mm ammo but i dont have any guns that shot the 45.
    That makes sense for you, and I'm glad you found something that fits your life. Understand that I'm not belittling the choice to buy one, and I think it's cool you got what you wanted. I just don't understand the decision to build one.

I can totally understand the idea behind a .22 LR (con)version, or the full-power 10mm. But I don't see what would possess someone to think it was a great idea to put a medium cartridge into a large frame.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I love my 1911A1's, but their all in 45ACP. and the economics of shooting 45 ACP versus 9mm are almost twice the cost... Even reloading the cartridges, as the larger bullets are a half or more in cost than the 9mm lead runs..

So I do understand the concept of buying a 1911A1 in 9mm as John Moses Browning did make one of the finest semi-auto pistols ever made but the economics of the times really makes it a expensive treasure to shoot...

My .02 cents worth..

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The good news is that you don't have to understand for the world to continue in existence.

I never meant to imply otherwise. I'm just making a comment that expresses an opinion I've held since I bought my first carry gun (S&W 908) back in the 90's. The 908 seems like the perfect size for the 9mm, as does the Glock 19 I bought later. Every time I've handled or shot a larger gun in 9mm, it seems ridiculously overbuilt and I find myself looking for the same frame with a larger caliber.

I had one friend who loved the full-sized HK's, and another who really digs the CZ 75 (?). I've shot a 1911 in 9mm. I just don't get it. It seems weird to me, like frenulum piercing or toy breed dogs.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Isn't there a competitive form that restricts folks to single stack pistols? If so, one would have an advantage over .45 in recoil and capacity while maintaining parts compatibility with most parts in 1911s (ensuring a steady supply of replacement and competition parts).

Also, try pin shooting with a heavy 9mm pistol. :D Works like a charm!

Now, to be a smart arse, Fletch, what do you think of the Hi Power? :D

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Now I have to hate Google. And also go to a Chinese restaurant to get a pair of cheap chopsticks with which to gouge my eyes out...

I had to google that as well and it was something that I could have gone the rest of my life without fully understanding the meaning.

Oh yeah let us know how the first range trip goes.

Top Bottom