• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There does happen to be a specific "smoke" statute in Indiana:

The trial court here determined that Officer Wells' stop of Veerkamp was constitutionally permissible because he had reasonable suspicion that Veerkamp had committed an infraction by violating Indiana Code § 9–19–8–5, which provides that “[t]he engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle must be equipped and adjusted so as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes and smoke.” Pursuant to Indiana Code § 9–19–8–6, violation of Indiana Code § 9–19–8–5 is a Class C infraction

With respect to Veerkamp's first argument concerning whether he committed a traffic infraction, we note that the Indiana Code does not define the term excessive, and we have never interpreted it in the context of Indiana Code § 9–19–8–5. However, we will give an unambiguous statute its clear and plain meaning. McCabe v. Comm'r, Ind. Dep't of Ins., 949 N.E.2d 816, 819 (Ind. 2011). The Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary defines excessive as “exceeding what is usual, proper, necessary, or normal.” MERRIAM–WEBSTER ONLINE DICTIONARY, available at http://www.merriam-webster. com/dictionary/excessive (last visited April 15, 2014). Based on this definition, we conclude that the trial court did not err in determining that the smoke coming from Veerkamp's truck was excessive. Officer Wells testified that he could not visibly see through the smoke and that at one point the smoke covered Veerkamp's passenger side tail light. The officer also testified that in his experience visible smoke such as that coming from Veerkamp's vehicle was not “common.”… “Common” is a synonym for the word “normal.” See ROGET'S II THE NEW THESAURUS 180 (3rd ed. 2003). Accordingly, this testimony implied that the smoke coming from Veerkamp's truck exceeded “normal” amounts and was, therefore, “excessive.”

Veerkamp v. State, 7 N.E.3d 390, 394–95 (Ind. App. 2014).

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Memorial weekend we had a big, stupid truck A-hole to the extreme.
    Column of bikes in one lane, he crowded into that column 3 different times on l-69/SR37 and kept fogging the column out...
    Me & my wife were about 10 bikes from the front when he crowded us, he eventually lost his right 'Bullwinkle The Moose' mirror, and one guy displayed he was carrying, that finally got him off us.

An off duty state trooper in the column ran his plates and the address came back to Mooresville area.
    He also reported the guy and field a complaint since 7 or 8 of us were running video cameras, but I don't know what happened with that.

Lifted black Ford 4x4, dark tinted windows, black vinyl bed cover, 'Team Glock' and AR bolt face, some cartoon kid with a flexed arm muscle, and 'Friends Of Coal' stickers in the back window.
    I don't know what his mirror will cost, but I hope it's over $1,000...
    He's lucky he yanked it back into his lane because the guy with the ASP baton was fixing to leave a row of dents all the way down the side of that truck.
    The only thing that stopped him was a couple police officers were in the column and watching, along with the cameras.

Me & my wife were both carrying, but with her on the back I was too busy keeping it upright on that lousy shoulder on 37...
    If I'd been solo, it might have been very different, I was SERIOUSLY pissed off...

Never heard of this practice. Sounds like a Darwin's award deathwish for the guy doing it to a string of bikes. Could wind up being an expensive decision also. That's just bizarre.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I don't know what set the idiot off, but it's not uncommon to get fogged, crowded, cut off, etc.
    40-45 bikes in that column, all in the right lane at the speed limit...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Column of bikes in one lane, he crowded into that column 3 different times on l-69/SR37 and kept fogging the column out...
    Me & my wife were about 10 bikes from the front when he crowded us, he eventually lost his right 'Bullwinkle The Moose' mirror, and one guy displayed he was carrying, that finally got him off us.

An off duty state trooper in the column ran his plates and the address came back to Mooresville area.
    He also reported the guy and field a complaint since 7 or 8 of us were running video cameras, but I don't know what happened with that.

Lifted black Ford 4x4, dark tinted windows, black vinyl bed cover, 'Team Glock' and AR bolt face, some cartoon kid with a flexed arm muscle, and 'Friends Of Coal' stickers in the back window.
    He's lucky he yanked it back into his lane because the guy with the ASP baton was fixing to leave a row of dents all the way down the side of that truck.
    The only thing that stopped him was a couple police officers were in the column and watching, along with the cameras.

Me & my wife were both carrying, but with her on the back I was too busy keeping it upright on that lousy shoulder on 37...
    If I'd been solo, it might have been very different, I was SERIOUSLY pissed off...

I understand being pissed off, but are you saying someone in your group "removed" his side mirror? With a state trouper riding with you? Again, I can understand wanting to do something to retaliate, but it seems like if someone removed it for him, that's a problem. And weren't you going on about how you don't engage in road rage in another thread?

Edit: Oh yeah, here it is...

"I don't know what you all are thinking, but I was taught you SHARE the road, and you NEVER create a dangerous situation.

If some idiot cuts me off, for whatever reason, I simply back off him and allow MYSELF proper following distance.
    If they are dumb enough to cut people off, break checks, turns without turn signals, turning from the wrong lane are all possible, and although I have major medical, I don't want to use it for something that takes two extra seconds of following distance...
    Ruins my day when I wind up in the hospital or have to call someone for a ride because my vehicle isn't mobile anymore."

And this: "So you threw a hand full of change out of the vehicle further escalating the situation to phsyical contact... "

And this: "Road Rage is entirely an ego driven thing, no one else cares other than to avoid TWO idiots now instead of one... "

And this: "Like I said, when you behave badly, there are TWO children/idiots behind the wheel instead of just one...
    I prefer to stay calm, get what I set out to do that day done with the least amount of frustration, I refuse to let an idiot take away my objective.
    These children/morons will have to find someone else to 'Play' with, I have grown-up things to do.
    I can only imagine these were the kids that put a bucket on their heads and ran I to trees repeatedly... And that pattern never changed.

I don't respect their actions, their abilities, or LACK of thought process, so it means nothing to me.
    I have the skills to avoid their stupidity, the alertness to anticipate and avoid their stupidity, and in under a minute they are someone else's problem. I win... "

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/467247-another-road-rager-murders-child-2.html

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I understand being pissed off, but are you saying someone in your group "removed" his side mirror? With a state trouper riding with you? Again, I can understand wanting to do something to retaliate, but it seems like if someone removed it for him, that's a problem. And weren't you going on about how you don't engage in road rage in another thread?

"I don't know what you all are thinking, but I was taught you SHARE the road, and you NEVER create a dangerous situation.

If some idiot cuts me off, for whatever reason, I simply back off him and allow MYSELF proper following distance.
    If they are dumb enough to cut people off, break checks, turns without turn signals, turning from the wrong lane are all possible, and although I have major medical, I don't want to use it for something that takes two extra seconds of following distance...
    Ruins my day when I wind up in the hospital or have to call someone for a ride because my vehicle isn't mobile anymore."

And this: "So you threw a hand full of change out of the vehicle further escalating the situation to phsyical contact... "

And this: "Road Rage is entirely an ego driven thing, no one else cares other than to avoid TWO idiots now instead of one... "

And this: "Like I said, when you behave badly, there are TWO children/idiots behind the wheel instead of just one...
    I prefer to stay calm, get what I set out to do that day done with the least amount of frustration, I refuse to let an idiot take away my objective.
    These children/morons will have to find someone else to 'Play' with, I have grown-up things to do.
    I can only imagine these were the kids that put a bucket on their heads and ran I to trees repeatedly... And that pattern never changed.

I don't respect their actions, their abilities, or LACK of thought process, so it means nothing to me.
    I have the skills to avoid their stupidity, the alertness to anticipate and avoid their stupidity, and in under a minute they are someone else's problem. I win... "

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/467247-another-road-rager-murders-child-2.html

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Well guess should not share how we handled a few of these idiots. Not coal rollers just idiots.
    Push me up to and over the curb and laugh about it. Not cool. Not cool at all.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well guess should not share how we handled a few of these idiots. Not coal rollers just idiots.

I thought it was more about blowing smoke (this time). Like I said, I understand being pissed, but I'm surprised JH didn't maintain his usually calm demeanor and just let it go. And I'm surprised that, if a state trooper was in the group, and one of the group ripped off the truck's side mirror for "rolling coal", that the trooper would just let that go.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I'm with The Mouse on this one. That isn't pissing me off, it's attempted murder or at least attempted grievous bodily harm and is a whole 'nother order of business

It's been a while, but I've had a guy pulling out into traffic overshoot his lane and almost force me into oncoming traffic. When I got up to him I was so mad I forgot to raise my face shield, so I was basically yelling at myself. He rolled down his window, looked me up and down and said "you're still walkin', aren't ya'". I kicked in the whole side of his truck with steel toes and if he had gotten out I would have done my best to **** him up. You're shot through with adrenaline and it all turns to cold, cold anger when it becomes apparent the person could care less if he had killed you

Now I would be carrying and have to let it go, but unless and until you've been there I'd hold the judgement

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    ...and here I am trying to figure out which turns me on more- the original "Barbie Girl" video by Aqua, or the cover by Postmodern Jukebox...

I had to go look at these, coming from a man of your credentials. WTF? Under what scenario does a learned man like yourself become exposed to this? Rhetorical question - no answer necessary. I did check out Postmodern Jukebox and saved it for a future look-see. Love that standup bass (from a different video than you mentioned).

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    He forced us well into the shoulder, crowed two bikes completely out of the traffic lane and kept coming.
    I couldn't just smash brakes with someone right behind me, I had to wait until the guy behind me slowed down, or I would have taken another couple with me.

Doggy Daddy,
    As for what other people do, like smashing the mirror, also for crowding bikes/people off the road, and for the state trooper that chased him to get his tag number, or what anyone else did, I can't take blame or credit.
    I was just too busy trying to keep the bike upright and out from under the idiots truck.

Church Mouse,
    Out of uniform, civilian vehicles can't pull over 'Suspects', they have to call in and have uniformed, on duty do that job.

What went through my head wouldn't pass for 'Christian Forgiveness' once I knew my wife was safe.
    I run up that way pretty often, not uncommon to see lane cutters, getting cut off, break checks, morons on cell phones, throw in it's a drunken/stoned weekend for a lot of people, and you just never know...

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm with The Mouse on this one. That isn't pissing me off, it's attempted murder or at least attempted grievous bodily harm and is a whole 'nother order of business

It's been a while, but I've had a guy pulling out into traffic overshoot his lane and almost force me into oncoming traffic. When I got up to him I was so mad I forgot to raise my face shield, so I was basically yelling at myself. He rolled down his window, looked me up and down and said "you're still walkin', aren't ya'". I kicked in the whole side of his truck with steel toes and if he had gotten out I would have done my best to **** him up. You're shot through with adrenaline and it all turns to cold, cold anger when it becomes apparent the person could care less if he had killed you

Now I would be carrying and have to let it go, but unless and until you've been there I'd hold the judgement

I think we're talking about different things. I'm just talking about being pissed for some redneck "rolling coal". I'm not talking about actual aggressive driving. Hell, if I could get away with it, I'd drive my old beater Dodge Ram and wreck a LOT of aggressive people that **** me off. But the more sensible side of me likes the mileage I get in my little Hyundai. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    He forced us well into the shoulder, crowed two bikes completely out of the traffic lane and kept coming.
    I couldn't just smash brakes with someone right behind me, I had to wait until the guy behind me slowed down, or I would have taken another couple with me.

As for what other people do, like smashing the mirror, also for crowding bikes/people off the road, and for the state trooper that chased him to get his tag number, or what anyone else did, I can't take blame or credit.
    I was just too busy trying to keep the bike upright and out from under the idiots truck.

What went through my head wouldn't pass for 'Christian Forgiveness' once I knew my wife was safe.
    I run up that way pretty often, not uncommon to see lane cutters, getting cut off, break checks, morons on cell phones, throw in it's a drunken/stoned weekend for a lot of people, and you just never know...

Fair enough, and thanks for the additional explanation (and I may have missed it in the post I was replying to, and if so, I apologize). As Paul Harvey would say, "Now I [sic] know the rest of the story!" And I can't say as I blame ya.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I think we're talking about different things. I'm just talking about being pissed for some redneck "rolling coal". I'm not talking about actual aggressive driving. Hell, if I could get away with it, I'd drive my old beater Dodge Ram and wreck a LOT of aggressive people that **** me off. But the more sensible side of me likes the mileage I get in my little Hyundai. :):

And there is the difference...
    It's not YOUR job to 'Punish' anyone, or to ram/run over anyone.

A vehicle is a DEADLY WEAPON, trying to use a weapon to 'Punish' someone is an A class felony.
    Using a deadly weapon can get you shot, and they would be entirely on the correct side of the law.

I sure hope I don't have to hit the brakes in front of you, need to change lanes when YOU think I'm too close, or heaven forbid we hit a stop sign at the same time and I'm on the right of you...

Since my ego doesn't write the checks my butt can't cash, I let the police do their jobs and I go home at the end of the day...

------

As for 'Rolling Coal', I'm thinking it's a $5,000 to $15,000 'Defeating DOT Emissions' fine depending on if a mechanic did it for you or you did it yourself.
    The race car guys know about CARB, emissions laws, etc. we see the statutes spelled out in the instructions/text.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I had a very nice 7.3 Super Duty that I wish like hell I didn't destroy in a crash.

(Not my fault. Seizure coming home from the VA)

Yes, I had it built up a bit, so it was stronger than a factory 7.3, but it wasn't one of those cheezy low profile tired coal rolling trucks. I took it on all kinds of off road trails, and camped out of it in the woods. Then, after a while with it I decided to go to the Schied Diesel extravaganza in Terre Haute with my son.

Good new = tons of cute chicks in shorts and cowboy boots.

Bad news = pretty much everything else. Never before have I been embarrassed about being seen in the truck I was before so proud of...

The truck pulls were cool.

Of course I'm the old retired Army guy, and all the idiots were young punks who probably got their trucks from daddy, but still... it was a huge idiot fest. My truck didn't have one of those multi-position switches. the engine builder just plugged up a laptop in, and tuned it after they put the engine back in it, so it just had the one tune. It was relatively mild, about 450 HP, 740 Ft/lbs.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had to go look at these, coming from a man of your credentials. WTF? Under what scenario does a learned man like yourself become exposed to this? Rhetorical question - no answer necessary. I did check out Postmodern Jukebox and saved it for a future look-see. Love that standup bass (from a different video than you mentioned).

I’ve settled on PMJ’s cover.....mmmmm

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    DD please know I was not :stickpoke: you about this.
    We rode with a fella that was well credentialed wit the state. In a few of these actions he was not there. The couple he was were handled very differently. And yes I have some war stories from the streets. Also some really great stories. More of those thankfully.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

"AR bolt face sticker"
    That means hes an arfcom member. He was being a typical ass hole Arfcom member I see. That site is full of pudwhackers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

And there is the difference...
    It's not YOUR job to 'Punish' anyone, or to ram/run over anyone.

A vehicle is a DEADLY WEAPON, trying to use a weapon to 'Punish' someone is an A class felony.
    Using a deadly weapon can get you shot, and they would be entirely on the correct side of the law.

I sure hope I don't have to hit the brakes in front of you, need to change lanes when YOU think I'm too close, or heaven forbid we hit a stop sign at the same time and I'm on the right of you...

Since my ego doesn't write the checks my butt can't cash, I let the police do their jobs and I go home at the end of the day...

------

As for 'Rolling Coal', I'm thinking it's a $5,000 to $15,000 'Defeating DOT Emissions' fine depending on if a mechanic did it for you or you did it yourself.
    The race car guys know about CARB, emissions laws, etc. we see the statutes spelled out in the instructions/text.

I wouldn't ever purposely wreck someone just for irritating me. That doesn't stop me from fantasizing about it though. That and having a rocket launcher on the front of my vehicle... but I digress. :):

Top Bottom