• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've been having continuing issues for several w/ shingles blowing off of the house in high winds. Been in the house about 15 years. Roof may be up to 17 years old. I've never had issues w/ shingles blowing off before, so don't know if this is caused by bad installation, poor materials, or simply house location that happens to cause extreme issues. The great blizzard we just wen through I lost shingles in 2 different roof surfaces (north and south sides)... I've been dealing w/ this for quite a long time (8 - 10 years). I've hired repairs several times, but mainly have been crawling up and repairing myself.
    I've finally had enough and am starting to research replacing the roof this spring. I certainly don't want to put down asphalt shingles while cold and having immediate issues as they haven't sealed. I don't like the look of Tlok shingles. What other options would you recommend to avoid any future wind related issues for the next 30 years? I've thought about a steel roof, but not sure about the aesthetics even though I don't mind it on my pole barn.

I will admit that I tend to over do things on repairs. None of the neighbors are having shingle issues... so maybe I'm overthinking this and have been dealing w/ low quality products/installation and replacing with anything reputable would be fine... The house structure was completed by a builder who went bankrupt and then finished by someone to flip it, so can see quality being suspect.

--Rick

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Sounds pricey.
    I just went over our material invoice.
    It looks like the custom cut roof panels are right at $100/square. (32 square)
    That doesn't include any trim, ridge vent, fasteners or labor. The roof was obviously part of the house build, I'd guess $200/square counting everything.

Edit; Local prices may vary. I'm not a contractor, just the hump that wrote the check.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Metal and don’t look back. I definitely don’t see an aesthetic downside to it. I have the best of both worlds my roof was in “ok” shape. And then I put steel over it. So in my mind even a pin hole leak in the steak would be met by asphalt shingles.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Metal and don’t look back. I definitely don’t see an aesthetic downside to it. I have the best of both worlds my roof was in “ok” shape. And then I put steel over it. So in my mind even a pin hole leak in the steak would be met by asphalt shingles.
    I've never heard of steak on asphalt shingles although I have heard of carp on pine planks.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I've been having continuing issues for several w/ shingles blowing off of the house in high winds. Been in the house about 15 years. Roof may be up to 17 years old. I've never had issues w/ shingles blowing off before, so don't know if this is caused by bad installation, poor materials, or simply house location that happens to cause extreme issues. The great blizzard we just wen through I lost shingles in 2 different roof surfaces (north and south sides)... I've been dealing w/ this for quite a long time (8 - 10 years). I've hired repairs several times, but mainly have been crawling up and repairing myself.
    I've finally had enough and am starting to research replacing the roof this spring. I certainly don't want to put down asphalt shingles while cold and having immediate issues as they haven't sealed. I don't like the look of Tlok shingles. What other options would you recommend to avoid any future wind related issues for the next 30 years? I've thought about a steel roof, but not sure about the aesthetics even though I don't mind it on my pole barn.

I will admit that I tend to over do things on repairs. None of the neighbors are having shingle issues... so maybe I'm overthinking this and have been dealing w/ low quality products/installation and replacing with anything reputable would be fine... The house structure was completed by a builder who went bankrupt and then finished by someone to flip it, so can see quality being suspect.

--Rick
    There are many factors that could cause the issue you are having. It could be installation, style of shingle, brand of shingle, design of house. Some brands are notorious for never sealing down. IKO, old Atlas shingles, Tamko.....all of those must be installed properly or they will blow off. Another factor is if they are 3-tab shingles or a dimensional/architecture shingle. It could also be a combination of factors, such as a cheaper 20 year 3 tab shingle and a bad installation.

Regardless of the reason, it sounds like you would have grounds for filing a homeowners claim if you would like for them to replace it. Age of roof does not matter, if you have RCV homeowners insurance. I regularly get claims approved on these instances. The worst thing that can happen is they come out and deny the claim. If you have tried repairing on several occasions, it should be no problem getting insurance to cover it. Once repairs are done, I can almost 100% guarantee you that in the future shingles will blow off around that repaired area, unless the person that does repairs manually seals the surrounding shingles.

As for a roofing that will be trouble free and guaranteed to 130 MPH wind with 4 nail application is Owens-Corning Duration shingles. Hands down the very best asphalt shingle on the market. Complete idiot proof installation, seals down so tight you can never take them up. I have installed Owens-Corning shingles since 1995, and I cannot recall ever having a blow off with them.

If you need a contractor in the Spring, keep me in mind. I will help you with your insurance claim, if you choose to do that. I am located in Danville, but I don't mind coming to Layfayette if it is to do a roof.

Thank You,
    Randy

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    He's done two jobs for me and working on pricing out another one for me for later this year. Extremely happy with his work. You couldn't even tell roofers had been there that day they did such a great job.
    Thank you sir. I will be sending you an estimate I got back from RoofHuggers. They sent me the cost for the roof brackets...I will just forward it to you. Maybe if you will be around I can come down later this week and look at your barn and discuss what they sent. Thanks for passing my name along.....I appreciate it!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are many factors that could cause the issue you are having. It could be installation, style of shingle, brand of shingle, design of house. Some brands are notorious for never sealing down. IKO, old Atlas shingles, Tamko.....all of those must be installed properly or they will blow off. Another factor is if they are 3-tab shingles or a dimensional/architecture shingle. It could also be a combination of factors, such as a cheaper 20 year 3 tab shingle and a bad installation.

Regardless of the reason, it sounds like you would have grounds for filing a homeowners claim if you would like for them to replace it. Age of roof does not matter, if you have RCV homeowners insurance. I regularly get claims approved on these instances. The worst thing that can happen is they come out and deny the claim. If you have tried repairing on several occasions, it should be no problem getting insurance to cover it. Once repairs are done, I can almost 100% guarantee you that in the future shingles will blow off around that repaired area, unless the person that does repairs manually seals the surrounding shingles.

As for a roofing that will be trouble free and guaranteed to 130 MPH wind with 4 nail application is Owens-Corning Duration shingles. Hands down the very best asphalt shingle on the market. Complete idiot proof installation, seals down so tight you can never take them up. I have installed Owens-Corning shingles since 1995, and I cannot recall ever having a blow off with them.

If you need a contractor in the Spring, keep me in mind. I will help you with your insurance claim, if you choose to do that. I am located in Danville, but I don't mind coming to Layfayette if it is to do a roof.

Thank You,
    Randy
    Glad you chimed in Randy! :thumbsup:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    We had a metal roof put on by Eerie--100 year full warranty. Looks like regular shingles from the street, but WAY better.
    Did you happen to have your house bid with regular shingles and Eerie? I was just curious the cost difference. I am not a fan of metal roofs, although I do install them. I have bid Decra roofing in the past, which is like Eerie.....but the cost was like 200% more.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Glad you chimed in Randy! :thumbsup:
    Thank you sir for your referral. I really do appreciate people speaking highly of us. I have done so many roofs for people on INGO that I forget many that I have done. Hope you and DoggyMomma had a good Christmas.....I don't know about you all, but I have a hard time finding that spirit anymore :( If it wasnt for the grand daughter, I would probably boycott December.

Top Bottom