• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Starbucks is always looking for sensitive types.

And they are probably not the kind of people who would even consider stepping up to the homeless person who has camped in the Starbucks restroom for half a day, trashing the place, and suggest they move on.

Maybe that was it, they immediately saw the inherent repression in preventing the shooter from expressing himself, and knew that had to leave the oppression of arresting him behind?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How many of you posting have faced a life and death situation where there was another person actively trying to kill you? Unless you have you can't image what it's like and how your body reacts.

All the simulations in the world doesn't prepare you for that instance in time. These two doesn't have what it takes, but before the dog pile and keyboard heroics, consider that no matter how much you think you'll react like you believe based on shooting paper and posting "what would you do" threads, you don't know until you come face to face with "that instance in time".

We can discuss this next time we see each other. I have been referred to as a bully to often

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Pretty obvious. Not sure how I would deal with this being the man left behind.

Unless something changed in leadership to improve officer selection I don't think I could ever turn my back on a new guy again. Bad situation as the new guys are supposed to learn things from the veterans.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Unless something changed in leadership to improve officer selection I don't think I could ever turn my back on a new guy again. Bad situation as the new guys are supposed to learn things from the veterans.

I hope that this incident follows these people if they ever try to find another LE position, so no one will have have to worry about them backing you up.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well, IME selection and training are part of the puzzle, some people can stare at death and laugh, some are just naturally brave, some are stone-cold crazy. Most people fall in the mid range and will do the job without trying to get themselves killed.
    A percentage go into a panic and get scared and self-preservation takes over and obliterates training.
    This can happen to people who have experienced bad situations multiple times or a brand-new person fresh out of training.
    Tough realistic training will build muscle memory and semi-automatic decision making but when emotions come into play watch out. Well trained personnel can get “scared” for lack of a better word and guess what it’s contagious just in the same way brave people inspire bravery “scared” works in the same way in people.
    The key IME is controlling emotions the physical reactions include heart rate though the roof, physically shaking, fast breathing, slurred speech, auditory exclusion, heightening of the startled response, etc.
    You all have read about that stuff before what about the emotions?
    Hang your hat on what I have witnessed crying, shouting “this shouldn’t happen to me”, detaching from reality, talking to themselves or others that are not present, becoming hysterical.
    Traits I have observed of people that react with training and get the job done, anger toward enemy, calmness almost an eerie peaceful demeanor, normal behavior just as if we were in training.
    So to sum it running away is not that uncommon some people may really want to be an in a profession that goes into life and death situations. Just like most things in life not everyone can do it some people are a human version of a “fainting goat”!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think we're going to see this more and more as the entitled generation comes up. They can't help it. They were raised to put their needs before those of anyone else.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Glad that no one (important) was hurt. Also good that these officers found out fast that this job isn't right for them.

These days, I see a lot of officers that just aren't cut out for the job. Nice enough people, just not right for law enforcement.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Glad that no one (important) was hurt. Also good that these officers found out fast that this job isn't right for them.

These days, I see a lot of officers that just aren't cut out for the job. Nice enough people, just not right for law enforcement.
    Wait until the wrongful termination suits begin!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    :+1:Glad that no one (important) was hurt. Also good that these officers found out fast that this job isn't right for them.

Many Have & They do NOT RUN & Seek Out a SAFE PLACE - NEGLIGENT HIRING :xmad:

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    This news story sucks. What happened sucks. Even here in Indy things like this happen from time to time with new rookies. Almost every class, maybe every other class, we end up with a rook who freezes completely up at the moment of truth. It happens. This job simply is not for everyone.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    How many of you posting have faced a life and death situation where there was another person actively trying to kill you? Unless you have you can't image what it's like and how your body reacts.

All the simulations in the world doesn't prepare you for that instance in time. These two doesn't have what it takes, but before the dog pile and keyboard heroics, consider that no matter how much you think you'll react like you believe based on shooting paper and posting "what would you do" threads, you don't know until you come face to face with "that instance in time".

I disagree.
    By this time in their careers, they should have taken the training to heart and had that long deep conversation with themselves on what,"....will I do when...."
    But to leave anyone you are responsible for, whether it's family, friends, co-workers in a life and death situation because they lost their courage is unacceptable. I would at least hope the probationary officers were able to compose themselves afterwards and resign and not wait to be fired. Maybe they can learn from this and grow to be adults with some fortitude to deal with the scary things in life.
    I imagine the feeling of that Sgt. when he turns and sees the probationarys gone.

On a side note, those probationarys probably needed a safe space after the ride back to the station. I'm guessing Sarge wasn't to friendly....

Stay safe

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    People get scared no matter the level of training or bravado some will run away.
    Do not think that because a person has good intentions that will translate into bravery.
    Hopefully someone else can help me explain how the reaction to a bad situation can default to self preservation in less than two seconds. This does not mean the person was bad or necessarily a “Coward” the flight or fight reaction went to “RUN AWAY” or “LOCK UP” it can be hard to comprehend what’s going on sometimes.
    Do not believe that someone will not leave you in a pinch unless you have “seen the elephant” with them.
    I do not have the the word smithing skill to convey the emotions.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    People get scared no matter the level of training or bravado some will run away.
    Do not think that because a person has good intentions that will translate into bravery.
    Hopefully someone else can help me explain how the reaction to a bad situation can default to self preservation in less than two seconds. This does not mean the person was bad or necessarily a “Coward” the flight or fight reaction went to “RUN AWAY” or “LOCK UP” it can be hard to comprehend what’s going on sometimes.
    Do not believe that someone will not leave you in a pinch unless you have “seen the elephant” with them.
    I do not have the the word smithing skill to convey the emotions.
    Tell that to Broward SO, and the school resource officer who did **** all while people were dying. They could definitely use the morale booster.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This news story sucks. What happened sucks. Even here in Indy things like this happen from time to time with new rookies. Almost every class, maybe every other class, we end up with a rook who freezes completely up at the moment of truth. It happens. This job simply is not for everyone.

:thumbsup:

Top Bottom