• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    This news story sucks. What happened sucks. Even here in Indy things like this happen from time to time with new rookies. Almost every class, maybe every other class, we end up with a rook who freezes completely up at the moment of truth. It happens. This job simply is not for everyone.

I disagree.
    By this time in their careers, they should have taken the training to heart and had that long deep conversation with themselves on what,"....will I do when...."
    But to leave anyone you are responsible for, whether it's family, friends, co-workers in a life and death situation because they lost their courage is unacceptable. I would at least hope the probationary officers were able to compose themselves afterwards and resign and not wait to be fired. Maybe they can learn from this and grow to be adults with some fortitude to deal with the scary things in life.
    I imagine the feeling of that Sgt. when he turns and sees the probationarys gone.

On a side note, those probationarys probably needed a safe space after the ride back to the station. I'm guessing Sarge wasn't to friendly....

Stay safe

People get scared no matter the level of training or bravado some will run away.
    Do not think that because a person has good intentions that will translate into bravery.
    Hopefully someone else can help me explain how the reaction to a bad situation can default to self preservation in less than two seconds. This does not mean the person was bad or necessarily a “Coward” the flight or fight reaction went to “RUN AWAY” or “LOCK UP” it can be hard to comprehend what’s going on sometimes.
    Do not believe that someone will not leave you in a pinch unless you have “seen the elephant” with them.
    I do not have the the word smithing skill to convey the emotions.

The truth is, until one is actually 'under-fire', no one truly knows how another will respond.
    There are several individual characteristics that can closely portray how another 'might' respond,
    under those circumstances, but until the actual moment of being 'under-fire' actually occurs, no one really or truly knows.
    Note: In my experience, loud-mouthed 'bravado' is not necessarily a positive characteristic!
    I've seen 'big' men (attitude-wise) hit the deck and seek shelter and I've seen quiet, even timid, individuals turn into absolute beasts under fire.
    The question always is, who runs towards the fire/fight in support of their fellow man...and who keeps their distance or simply runs away?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Force on force training exposes this kind of behavior quite well. Sadly, depts are not in a position to turn these *employees away.
    Yes, they are. Lowering the standards to make a snowflake selection gets you exactly this. Departments turn away good candidates every hiring process because of PC. Lose PC in the warrior professions, we need warriors, not snowflakes. Before anyone’s panties carve them a vulva, true warriors are compassionate, as well as warriors, so they can still deal with everyday joe/Jane/imnotsurewhatiam’s of the world.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's unfortunate that these "officers" were fired as within 10 years their response in this situation will be exactly what officers will be trained to do. Society has and continues to speak as to what it wants from law enforcement officers. De-escalation is the name of the game now and only those willing to go to jail should find themselves there. The criminals are now the victims and the police are now the enemy.

I hope that the pendulum may one day swing back the proper way but for now, these young officers were only very slightly ahead of their time in their (not quite yet) appropriate response.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It's unfortunate that these "officers" were fired as within 10 years their response in this situation will be exactly what officers will be trained to do. Society has and continues to speak as to what it wants from law enforcement officers. De-escalation is the name of the game now and only those willing to go to jail should find themselves there. The criminals are now the victims and the police are now the enemy.

I hope that the pendulum may one day swing back the proper way but for now, these young officers were only very slightly ahead of their time in their (not quite yet) appropriate response.
    When is the first Academy class teaching Nike Deescalation?;) So, your implying that they may be pioneers in their field?

dk598

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    I can say with certainty that this is a disgrace to the entire profession. While I DO know how I would respond, some slip through the cracks and embarrass the rest. Just remember that only a small number cower under pressure.

Eagle21

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 23, 2017
    Hamilton Co. / Marion Co.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Hard times make hard people, [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Hard people make soft times, [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Soft times make soft people, [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Soft people make hard times.

Have patience, have faith, and most importantly train as if you are the only one who can save yourself/family.
    We all know where we are at in this cycle.. and that’s all it is. I refuse to buy into the narrative that their aren’t warriors in these fields(LE/mil) maybe that’s just my anecdotal experience... you’ll have turds in every faction.. this story illustrates that. [/FONT][/FONT]

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    People get scared no matter the level of training or bravado some will run away.
    Do not think that because a person has good intentions that will translate into bravery.
    Hopefully someone else can help me explain how the reaction to a bad situation can default to self preservation in less than two seconds. This does not mean the person was bad or necessarily a “Coward” the flight or fight reaction went to “RUN AWAY” or “LOCK UP” it can be hard to comprehend what’s going on sometimes.
    Do not believe that someone will not leave you in a pinch unless you have “seen the elephant” with them.
    I do not have the the word smithing skill to convey the emotions.

I have to agree and disagree.
    Why do all of us that carry a firearm, citizen or officer, practice drawing from our holsters..? To develop the muscle memory to do it smoothly, quickly, efficiently when we have to.
    The same is for the mental side of the coin. A new officer has to have the very sincere conversation with themselves as to what,"... I'll do when (X) happens." They develope the mental "muscle memory" to be able to respond instinctively to situations. Reducing the reaction time, the thought, possible indecision and fear to over shadow what should already be a programmed or practiced response.
    I agree to a point that no one knows for certain how they will respond to any given situation. BUT there is preparation that a person deciding to step into harm's way to protect others needs to do both physically and mentally. I still believe these to probationary officers failed to do that.
    And you're correct, bravado is no replacement for the true self assessment of what you are capable of doing.

Stay safe

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Just getting your mind around the concept of targeting another human goes against normal psychological values. The USMC had us practice sight alignment and sight picture with a trigger pull hundreds of thousands of times while using a human torso target.

Even this is no assurance of being able to carry out the necessary behavior under stress but it goes a long way to get your body to the point where your mind makes the choice.

Now factor into the equation all the visual and auditory conflict of what flows constantly from MSM right into our homes and then try to answer in your own mind "what IS our social norm"?

Our society, and it's media coverage, maintains more conflict than Carter has liver pills. Conflict doesn't foster a change in resolution, it fosters conflict not resolve. Expecting a young adult to have the insight and ability to maintain a clear prospective under the deluge of bravo sierra would be like asking them to name their favorite lump in a burgoo. Add to that the immediate negative reinforcement/feedback for ANY choice they make...

Well folks, what do we expect?

Top Bottom