• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    OP, the answer is simple, get a striker (DAO) with a manual safety, or a DA/SA model. You have a good healthy fear and respect for the gun, and you can mitigate those concerns with the right weapon and holster combination. Don't let Glock ads or other INGO users make you feel inferior. IMHO concealed carry with a Glock, or similar striker fired pistol without a safety, is not wise, especially with an IWB holster.

Practically all DA/SA models have safeties, but can also be decocked, so that it behaves like a revolver. It is difficult to find a striker fired pistol with a safety, but M&P offers models with manual safeties that I think are superb, like my M&P9C. I love having that safety on when I holster my weapon. Of course, the safety is not important once inside a proper holster, and can be turned off.

No modern pistol should go off without explicitly pulling the trigger. The firing pin block is lifted by the trigger, so if you fear it going off any other way, then that should ease your mind.
    i agree with all this, and would add. the taurus 24/7 gen 2. it is striker fired but the first pull of the trigger is always double action. single action after that. rcking the slide to chamber a round will not put into single action. only firing the weapon puts into single action.or holding the trigger when you rack it the first time,i dont recomend doing that. in the end, do what feels comfortable to you.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    This thread is full of people, uncomfortable with their gun handling, giving others poor advice. Buy some decent equipment (pistol, holster, belt, etc) and carry it in the manner in which it was designed. If you aren't comfortable doing that, get some training and become competent and comfortable with your gun handling. Then, test it with some competition or some FoF.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    This thread is full of people, uncomfortable with their gun handling, giving others poor advice. Buy some decent equipment (pistol, holster, belt, etc) and carry it in the manner in which it was designed. If you aren't comfortable doing that, get some training and become competent and comfortable with your gun handling. Then, test it with some competition or some FoF.

And training. Take a basic handgun course and by the end, you will be carrying with a round in the chamber.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sure its easy on the range standing up right without a care in the world. Is it that easy in a struggle when some guy is jerking you around by your off hand as you try to fend him off? Or when someone is laying on top of you banging your head into the pavement? May be a fuzz more tricky, then. Just something to think about.

Hi INGO, I'm T.Lex, and I did not always carry a round in the chamber.

Let me elaborate.

My primary EDC is a S&W 915 that I've had and practiced with for... gee... going on 20 years now. It is comfortable in my hand, and I shoot it well. It has an external positive safety and part of my drills is flicking it off as part of the draw. That, I carry with a round chambered.

In the intervening 20 years, I've also obtained a Glock 23. Under certain circumstances, I've carried it - but usually without a round chambered. Based on this thread, and a few others like it, I've spent about the last year carrying it with a round chambered. It started with getting a holster (DeSantis Dual Carry II) that had 100% (or dang close to it) trigger coverage and a snap strap across the back of the slide. Those were criteria that met my concerns.

(N.B., I have a good friend LEO who had his issue Glock fire a round into his foot when the doohicky at the end of his jacket cord got caught in the holster.)

I've always taken good care of my firearms, so my concern is now reduced to some sort of mechanical issue that might happen with the Glock while its loaded. But, that's acceptable to me, because that can happen to any firearm. (That's why the Rules are the way they are, too.)

So, the Glock still isn't my EDC, but when it does come up in rotation, it has a round chambered.

Thank you, INGO. I hope to never have to test the matter, but this does improve my ability to respond if necessary.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    As just mentioned it sounds that you need to be sure you have a proper holster that will keep stuff out of the trigger guard and retain the weapon. The goal of a proper holster is retention and no negligent discharges.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    By the way, I think there's a problem with the INGO space-time continuum. I distinctly remember this thread, and there's NO WAY it has been that long since it had a new post.

I blame mbills.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Plenty of security videos out there of people who might still be alive if they didn't get shot while trying to rack the slide. An EDC with an empty chamber is about as useful as a paper punch, only a paper punch might do a little more damage if you threw it at someone's head.

As has been stated above, much of the apprehension over carrying on a loaded chamber is psychological. One thing that may help alleviate that is to get a leather holster with a thumbstrap that you can snap down between the cocked hammer and the slide.

I will share a little personal mishap with you that may also help alleviate some of your fears. A few years back I was leaving the house and walking toward my detached garage, mid-winter. Didn't realize it until my feet were over my head and I was looking up at the moonlit sky between my shoes, but my driveway was covered in black ice. I had my coffee mug in one hand and my holstered 1911 under my arm. My coffee went flying in one direction, my 1911 in the other direction. My 1911 was in a concealed carry holster with no thumbstrap in Condition One: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer cocked, safety on. My 1911 landed on the concrete, square on the butt end of the mainspring housing. Nothing happened. It hit the concrete cocked and locked, and nothing happened. Nothing in the way of an accidental discharge at least. The pistol sustained some damage which I had repaired by AllenM, but the point is that it would be extremely unlikely to have an accidental discharge unless your finger were on the trigger.

So relax. Get yourself a holster with a thumbstrap, or as LCSOSgt11 stated already, carry a revolver. Never carry a semi-auto on an empty chamber.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Plenty of security videos out there of people who might still be alive if they didn't get shot while trying to rack the slide. An EDC with an empty chamber is about as useful as a paper punch, only a paper punch might do a little more damage if you threw it at someone's head.

As has been stated above, much of the apprehension over carrying on a loaded chamber is psychological. One thing that may help alleviate that is to get a leather holster with a thumbstrap that you can snap down between the cocked hammer and the slide.

I will share a little personal mishap with you that may also help alleviate some of your fears. A few years back I was leaving the house and walking toward my detached garage, mid-winter. Didn't realize it until my feet were over my head and I was looking up at the moonlit sky between my shoes, but my driveway was covered in black ice. I had my coffee mug in one hand and my holstered 1911 under my arm. My coffee went flying in one direction, my 1911 in the other direction. My 1911 was in a concealed carry holster with no thumbstrap in Condition One: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer cocked, safety on. My 1911 landed on the concrete, square on the butt end of the mainspring housing. Nothing happened. It hit the concrete cocked and locked, and nothing happened. Nothing in the way of an accidental discharge at least. The pistol sustained some damage which I had repaired by AllenM, but the point is that it would be extremely unlikely to have an accidental discharge unless your finger were on the trigger.

So relax. Get yourself a holster with a thumbstrap, or as LCSOSgt11 stated already, carry a revolver. Never carry a semi-auto on an empty chamber.

Isn't it amazing how slipping on ice somehow defies gravity by accelerating your fall and slamming you down harder than just a simple fall anywhere else?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Isn't it amazing how slipping on ice somehow defies gravity by accelerating your fall and slamming you down harder than just a simple fall anywhere else?

"Amazing" wasn't exactly the word I used at the time. :):

But the "slamming you down harder" part... Yep, no doubt about that at all!

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    If I'm carrying, there's one in the chamber and the safety is on ... but I am confident in the weapons I carry.

I'm eyeballing a new pistol now & will use the same technique once I am comfortable with it.

Top Bottom