• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Your Springfield has a firing pin block. The gun will not discharge unless the trigger is fully depressed. If you are carrying in a holster that covers the trigger then the only way for you to have an accidental or negligent discharge is if you pull the trigger. Instead of practicing racking the slide after drawing you should practice drawing without you finger entering the trigger guard. If you don't pull the trigger it will not go off. Just keep your booger hook off the bang switch and carry in a quality holster that covers the trigger. You carry a firearm to defend your life and the lives of your loved ones. Be ready to do so or you might as well leave it at home in the safe.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I didn't know that! Any insight as to why? I mean, they are obviously trained in the use of their firearms so why carry with the chamber empty?

A number of Federal agencies do it differently. I won't start a pie fight here.

As I said, do what you feel comfortable with. In my own case, it is situational. Sometimes I don't carry at all. Sometimes I'm cocked and locked. YOU must make your own decision and don't listen to any of us.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A number of Federal agencies do it differently. I won't start a pie fight here.

As I said, do what you feel comfortable with. In my own case, it is situational. Sometimes I don't carry at all. Sometimes I'm cocked and locked. YOU must make your own decision and don't listen to any of us.

Yup.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Cops have been carrying with one in the chamber for a billion years, how many times have you heard of a gun going off by itself in a holster. Usually when there's a ND it because someone got foolish on handling the gun outta the holster.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Some handguns were not safe to carry chambered

Can you give some examples? I thought it was just "one of those policies."

The Israeli train to have an empty chamber. The Austrian police shoots the first round in the air so they can get the SA in a DA/SA pistol. However you carry, make sure you can do what you need quickly and well.

If you're going to Mexican carry, I'd recommend an empty chamber.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Carrying in the military and carrying for self defense are two different concepts. I don't have a squad of buddies to back me up, I don't have scouts out, I don't have a concept of "acceptable casualties", I don't have a medic with me, etc. Get this out of your head right now: Because X military does it, I should too.

I have the advantage of experience of carrying as a soldier, as a security contractor for the military, a cop, and an armed citizen. In each of these roles I had different goals and different resources. I have carried on an empty chamber in a military context. I have not, and will never, carry on an empty chamber for self defense or law enforcement purposes. Why? Sudden encounters. The possibility of learning I'm in an encounter by being wounded. When I worked in a military context, I had a medic to treat me and buddies to return fire. In a self defense scenario, and most police action shootings, what I have is me. I will not handicap myself by requiring both hands to work my weapon. I will not handicap myself with unnecessary preparations before I'm ready to fire.

Either get over it or carry a revolver. A revolver can be carried over an empty chamber and still goes off with a single trigger pull (the cylinder rotates as the hammer moves, depending on the brand you fire either the one directly left or directly right of the one currently under the hammer).

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Cops have been carrying with one in the chamber for a billion years, how many times have you heard of a gun going off by itself in a holster. Usually when there's a ND it because someone got foolish on handling the gun outta the holster.

References please. A link to a statistical survey would be ideal.

ps. you don't have to go back a billion years. Perhaps start when semi-automatics became prevalent.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Note: This did not originate with the Israeli Army and/or IDF.

Secondly: Condition 3 carry was the preferred method of carry for MANY militaries and civilians for the majority of the 20th century.

CPT Nervous has it right: IDF adopted that style to overcome a lack of training and multiple platforms.

Also, in a military setting such as Israel has been living under for 60 years - it suits their IDF because they're more of a reactionary force. I can guarantee that those who are on the "front lines" of security duties have a round chambered.

To put it as I've read before: CORPORATE threat. In other words, they are not armed to combat a PERSONAL threat to themselves only, but rather to protect all those around them. C3 is perfect for this situation as it assumes that a gun is not pointing directly at "you", but rather there is a threat toward "us".

We, as civilians, train/practice/prepare for personal threats. Threats that we don't know when, where, or how it will happen.

It's wholly different if you, as an IDF member, are sitting in an office building 25 stories up with your pistol in C3. (just making that up - don't know if that's a possibility or not?). Something goes down on the street below and you go rushing down there - only to chamber your first round on the way to meet the threat. You have the foreknowledge and time to get that done.

I/we just don't have the luxury. And if I DID have the luxury of knowing, I'd opt for something other than a puny pistol.

-J-

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I always carry with one in the chamber. Whether I have enough time to rack the slide or not, I don't know. If some loon charges me from 20 feet, then I probably don't have time. I'll give myself as much advantage as I can.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Note: This did not originate with the Israeli Army and/or IDF.

Secondly: Condition 3 carry was the preferred method of carry for MANY militaries and civilians for the majority of the 20th century.

CPT Nervous has it right: IDF adopted that style to overcome a lack of training and multiple platforms.

Also, in a military setting such as Israel has been living under for 60 years - it suits their IDF because they're more of a reactionary force. I can guarantee that those who are on the "front lines" of security duties have a round chambered.

To put it as I've read before: CORPORATE threat. In other words, they are not armed to combat a PERSONAL threat to themselves only, but rather to protect all those around them. C3 is perfect for this situation as it assumes that a gun is not pointing directly at "you", but rather there is a threat toward "us".

We, as civilians, train/practice/prepare for personal threats. Threats that we don't know when, where, or how it will happen.

It's wholly different if you, as an IDF member, are sitting in an office building 25 stories up with your pistol in C3. (just making that up - don't know if that's a possibility or not?). Something goes down on the street below and you go rushing down there - only to chamber your first round on the way to meet the threat. You have the foreknowledge and time to get that done.

I/we just don't have the luxury. And if I DID have the luxury of knowing, I'd opt for something other than a puny pistol.

-J-

My pistols are not puny...they are mighty.............:):

tec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I carry with a round in the chamber. I do keep the physical safety on, though. I figure I can slide the safety off as I'm de-holstering.

Top Bottom