• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Round in the chamber - cocked and locked on my 1911. Sig p226 9mm round in the chamber hammer de-cocked. XDm 45 - Round in the chamber - grip safety + trigger safety + holster + not coonfingering the gun = safe.

The ultimate safety is you.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    No point in carrying if it's NOT ready :)

Like EvilElmo states, "Without a round loaded that thing's just an expensive paperweight". :rockwoot:

wizard.......condition 0 and ready to roll :D

So......If you were headed into a fight with bad guys, you'd just as quickly choose a fully loaded glock without a round chambered..........or a glass snow globe?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You guys are all crazy... Didn't you see?? The IDF doesn't carry chambered!! At first, I simply unloaded my weapon to comply with this much more rational philosophy, but then wondered... What else might Israel have to say about carrying a gun?

Licensing a Firearm

What say you INGO? Shall we ask Washington to adopt these policies?

Come on, Israel does it...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I started out empty chamber but eventually I got comfortable with a loaded chamber. As you shoot/carry more, you'll become more comfortable with the gun and a loaded chamber. Remember, ALL GUNS ARE LOADED.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Carry how you feel comfortable, but know that you will likely be very uncomfortable very quickly if you you are attacked and have to draw and the gun doesn't go bang because you forgot to track the slide under stress.

If you aren't comfortable carrying with a round chambered you are carrying the wrong gun for you. There are plenty of pistols out there with safety features to put your mind at ease.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I generally OC a 1911, chambered, cocked & safety on.

At one time I carried a revolver for much the same reason as the OP. I eventually conquered my fear of carrying a chambered weapon.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You guys are all crazy... Didn't you see?? The IDF doesn't carry chambered!! At first, I simply unloaded my weapon to comply with this much more rational philosophy, but then wondered... What else might Israel have to say about carrying a gun?

Licensing a Firearm

What say you INGO? Shall we ask Washington to adopt these policies?

Come on, Israel does it...

• Basic reading and writing skills in Hebrew

That's gonna cause a serious increase in denials if implemented here. Just saying. Now, where'd I put that copy of my Teudat Zehut? Oh, and what is a Teudat Zehut?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So......If you were headed into a fight with bad guys, you'd just as quickly choose a fully loaded glock without a round chambered..........or a glass snow globe?

Tough choice as both are classified as weapons by the TSA so I would think they are both lethal.

tsa-no-snow-globe.jpg

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I have started to conceal carry lately but I'm just nervous at the idea of having a round in the chamber. I know if I ever had to use it that seconds count, but I feel confident I could rack the slide to load a round very quickly. I've also started practicing this.

My question is: Do you carry (open/concealed doesn't matter) with a round in the chamber? Do any of you share this concern?

If you're going to carry, carry with a round in the chamber.

If you're not comfortable with it, give it some time, you'll get used to the idea.

A DA/SA might make you more comfortable for now.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Actually it's simple if you are not confident to carry chambered then you are not confident in yourself. get proper training with the proper holster. Until then keep it in a case,safe, etc...bc you would get smoked in a training situation where you knew something was going to happen,let alone real life. Even good training may not always make it near as easy as it may sound.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have learned that a really good holster makes me much more comfortable about carrying a handgun with a round in the chamber.

It is perfectly natural to feel uncomfortable carrying with a round chambered, especially when you're new to carrying.

You have to do what you are comfortable with. For example, I used to carry a 1911 because I liked having the thumb safety as well as a grip safety. Now I carry a handgun without an external safety. I keep my pistol in it's holster until I'm ready to shoot it and with a good holster covering the trigger guard, I feel comfortable with it.

You will likely refine your carry method (condition, model & caliber of firearm, holster type, position on body, type of ammo, etc). Just carry the gun wherever it's legal to carry. Keep it on your person (don't set it on the toilet paper dispenser @ Bob Evans cause you might walk off without it). Keep the muzzle in a safe direction and leave the firearm in the holster until you are ready to use it.

It might seem weird carrying now, but shortly it will seem very strange when you are not armed.

Seriously, don't skimp on the holster.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    OP, the answer is simple, get a striker (DAO) with a manual safety, or a DA/SA model. You have a good healthy fear and respect for the gun, and you can mitigate those concerns with the right weapon and holster combination. Don't let Glock ads or other INGO users make you feel inferior. IMHO concealed carry with a Glock, or similar striker fired pistol without a safety, is not wise, especially with an IWB holster.

Practically all DA/SA models have safeties, but can also be decocked, so that it behaves like a revolver. It is difficult to find a striker fired pistol with a safety, but M&P offers models with manual safeties that I think are superb, like my M&P9C. I love having that safety on when I holster my weapon. Of course, the safety is not important once inside a proper holster, and can be turned off.

No modern pistol should go off without explicitly pulling the trigger. The firing pin block is lifted by the trigger, so if you fear it going off any other way, then that should ease your mind.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I carry with one in a chamber....not much use in carrying one without one in the chamber. Perhaps the bad guy might give you a second or two to rack the slide......

Top Bottom