• Total voters

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The Poll is multiple answer...

I saw a lady from New York get her first experience of a Carmel roundabout today... It took her 2 3/4 trips around to figure out where to exit and she wasn't happy.

So that got me thinking... If she knew their purpose and how they work, would she still hate them?

I like them, except for the ones over Keystone. They should have been single lanes around with a separate turn lane like the northbound entrance at 96th and Westfield Blvd I see several accidents a week from people continuing to turn, right across the straight lane.

What do you think about roundabouts?

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    There are lots of roundabouts in my area, and I don't mind them too much. The issue I've found with them are the people, as you mentioned, who don't know how to use them. Also, the people who are apparently waiting for a signed invitation from the Traffic Boss to enter the roundabout are frustrating too. Jump on in, join the fun.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I love roundabouts as they significantly improve traffic flow. However virtually all of the roundabouts in Indiana are either designed by maniacs or ordered by city councils that have no idea what they're for. In both cases, it's like the culprits have read about them, but have never driven them, thought they sounded neat and decided to just start tossing them randomly into their city. They're installed in places where they don't belong, and have lane patterns that make no sense. They're backed up by motorists' laws that aren't publicized (or even taught in driving school). That leads to a fairly dangerous combination for Indiana drivers.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I had to do a search to find out what you were talking about.

After a quick search, I immeditately knew what you are talking about and also thought to myself about how mentally challenged the person who designed them must have been.

230px-NonUK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif

Seriously, why?

Edit:

I love roundabouts as they significantly improve traffic flow. However virtually all of the roundabouts in Indiana are either designed by maniacs or ordered by city councils that have no idea what they're for. In both cases, it's like the culprits have read about them, but have never driven them, thought they sounded neat and decided to just start tossing them randomly into their city. They're installed in places where they don't belong, and have lane patterns that make no sense. They're backed up by motorists' laws that aren't publicized (or even taught in driving school). That leads to a fairly dangerous combination for Indiana drivers.

This explains a lot.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Benny, that monstrosity depicted in your gif is awful. 85% of the ones in my area are single lane and are much more efficient and even simpler than 4 ways.

Sit at a 4 way and watch 3 cars pull up at the same time and sort out who goes first. I know there are simple rules, but who knows them?

Round about: Approach. If clear, enter. If not, wait. Pull out at desired exit.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Put me down as one that like them.

As long as people know how to use them, they're great. When people don't know, they can be really frustrating. It seems we're getting past the learning curve around here as my recent experiences have all been good.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Even during rush hour, the worst roundabout is better than the best stoplight in terms of congestion. I love what Carmel did with the overpasses, by the way, about time there is a north/south passage without any freaking stoplights. I am an inch from wanting to work 2nd/3rd shift for life, Indy is just too congested. I-69 needs to be about 14 lanes wide to handle the traffic. Instead, my tax money is being spent on all kinds of other worthless crap.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc"][video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc[/ame]

That's kind of how I feel about roundabouts

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    They're putting one in up in Warsaw (not really sure it is needed as it is a poor location for one). I don't really mind them because it isn't rocket science to figure out how to use one. I hear a lot of people complain about them but I enjoyed them when I was in Australia (wasn't driving but loved the not sitting and waiting for tons of traffic).

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I like them, even the ones over Keystone, and I have to take a bus through. Sometimes have to wait for a gap, but oh well. I have seen some furriners do some dumb things in them; got behind one guy from MI that treated each intersection as a stop, then there was the little old lady, driving by looking between the steering wheel and the dash, that wanted to turn left, so she did. The one thing they've done wrong on some of them is put in raised gardens with bushes and such, so you can't see across to know what's coming.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you've ever driven them in Europe, you'd see how fantastic they can be. The ones they build here in Indiana are monstrosities.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you've ever driven them in Europe, you'd see how fantastic they can be. The ones they build here in Indiana are monstrosities.

If you want to pay my way over there, I would be happy to give a thorough write up on them when I get back.:yesway:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

I was stationed in Naples for 2 years. I'll take a roundabout here over a Napolitan roundabout any day!
    (and I'll take either over a stop sign)

Top Bottom