• Total voters

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Monticello constucted one in a low traffic area that needed no improvement. But it's okay. It was "free money" that would have had to be returned if not wasted, er um, I mean utilized for said project. Now the locals avoid it like the plague. More of your tax dollars hard at work. I hope you feel stimulated.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    No, they aren't. They're supposed to alleviate congestion. If they were supposed to slow down speeders, they'd just leave in the stoplights and 4-way stops.

I hate 4 way stop signs. They take too long.

I hated the roundabouts at first, but I'm liking them now. Once everyone gets used to them, they work great.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I had to deal with a round about from hell when I was in Ireland for work.
    I spent the first two weeks pouring over maps to find the best ways around it
    This thing had about 7 lanes , it was awful
    I hate them

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I like them but it seems most of them around here need better signage. A lady almost hit me a 2 lane round about the other day. We were side by side, me in the right line with her in the left. She decides to make the first right, which is not allowed. After some evasive maneuvers we both come to a stop just barely missing each other and she has the audacity to honk at me and flip me the bird!

It seems that most people understand the 1 lane ones but when there is more than 1 lane a lot of people think they can do what ever they want once they enter.

I think better signage, larger size, and some consistency in design would make them better around here.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You need to be pretty mentally challenged to not figure out an Indiana roundabout. Even the 2 lane ones. There are signs posted, arrows on the road, and about 100 cars going before you as an example of what to do.

Look with eyes, apply brain, maneuver car. It's not that hard, and it's much better than getting t-boned to death. 2 motorcyclists, from our company, died a couple weeks ago because cross traffic failed to stop at a 4 way intersection. You don't hear about that kind of stuff happening in a round abaout.

Roundabouts also don't stop working when the power goes out, or there's a strong storm.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like them but it seems most of them around here need better signage. A lady almost hit me a 2 lane round about the other day. We were side by side, me in the right line with her in the left. She decides to make the first right, which is not allowed. After some evasive maneuvers we both come to a stop just barely missing each other and she has the audacity to honk at me and flip me the bird!

It seems that most people understand the 1 lane ones but when there is more than 1 lane a lot of people think they can do what ever they want once they enter.

I think better signage, larger size, and some consistency in design would make them better around here.

Similar thing happened to my wife, only reversed. She was in the inside going straight, and a car tried to pass her on the outside while making a left. Just a fender bender though. Literally. Crinkled up the pass side fender pretty good.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think there are about 3 in Kokomo, 2 have been there multiple decades and are in a residential area. Therefore people in these parts have not had much exposure to them.

The new one on the south side has them flummoxed.
    Did you know that yield signs at the entrance to a roundabout actually mean the driver is to come to a complete stop before proceeding??
    Neither did I..... Thanks Kokomo!!! :n00b:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They'd be great if people knew how to use them! Some guy on the inside of one of those just bolted in front of me the other day and I nearly broadsided Him! The beauty of a round about is if you miss your turn you just go around again get in the correct lane and bingo! You're on your way!

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    I agree that they do improve traffic flow.

BUT - out here on the west side we have the 2 lane round-abouts which remind me of the old criss cross slot car racing tracks I used to love...

IF everyone slowed down and drove reasonably thru the roundabout - then there would be NO reason for accidents. At 15 mph - ANYONE should be able to adjust to other car's movements.

I propose this: No-Fault in the roundabout. Whatever happens - you pay your own damage. I think everyone would be more careful if they couldn't blame anyone else.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Love them. The four that have been installed recently out by my area have cut down on traffic delays monumentally. Every once in awhile you have a moron on them that doesn't know how to drive, but its not near as bad as four way stop stupidity.

"You go first, no you! No, you go....No, please, I insist, you go first....(Tires peel out in anger.)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Single-laners don't bother me.

Multi-laners scare me. I've had near misses about half the time through one. Folks just cut across lanes, dart into the roundabout, and cut across in front of you to exit. The ones out near me have skid marks all around them, broken glass and car parts in the bushes, and tire marks right through the middle.

Yeah, they aren't that hard, but us midwesterners aren't that smart, either.

Top Bottom