• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I like the idea of roundabouts. I don't like that most people don't get them.

I once saw an old lady enter a roundabout by turning left then exiting on the left. She appeared to be trying to turn left as the roundabout were a conventional 4-way stop.

must have been my mother, she like to do stuff like that on the interstates too

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm another that likes them. The ones in Valpo have helped traffic flow immensely.

The biggest problem isn't that people don't know how to use roundabouts, it is that people do not know how to drive or pay attention, period.

Yield signs are a total mystery to so many people. There is a large group that treats them as stop signs, another large group acts like they aren't there, and then a smaller percentage understands what to do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm another that likes them. The ones in Valpo have helped traffic flow immensely.

The biggest problem isn't that people don't know how to use roundabouts, it is that people do not know how to drive or pay attention, period.

Yield signs are a total mystery to so many people. There is a large group that treats them as stop signs, another large group acts like they aren't there, and then a smaller percentage understands what to do.

In Indy you can mix in a few cultures with zero driving skills and this makes them pretty exciting at times.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hate them. Almost nobody understands how to drive on them. I avoid them as much as I can.
    The folks that benefit from roundabouts always say, "when people learn how to use them," but I'm not convinced that will happen. There will always be people that cannot learn or judge. Those people NEED a STOP sign.

Last time it happened to me (us actually, my son had his Learner's Permit, 150 year old guy blew through the yield sign and caught the front right of our CRV) my son moved the vehicle out of the traffic lane and I called 911 since the 150 year old guy seemed to be having a medical issue. It was just Imwaytoooldtobedrivingitis. I think that was trip #2 to Diamond Collision.

When Diamond Collision had their open house a few months back, I asked them if snow or rain brought them more business. Allen and the Mrs. barely addressed the weather question, but immediately started talking of how they loved roundabouts for bringing in huge amounts of business.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In Indy you can mix in a few cultures with zero driving skills and this makes them pretty exciting at times.
    But I bet they make driving in general exciting.

I know driving in Mexico and Italy was exciting back when I did it. They both pretty much ignored any rules of the road. One big free for all.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    They certainly don't know how to drive in them in Jeffersonville. I have seen 2 semi's flipped over heading to the port now and know there have been more than that. Semi's here beleive that the right of way applies to them when entering the round about. However, it is only supposed to apply when they are already in. They will just fly into it off of 265 leading to massive panic stops.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

THIS^^^^^ But that is not confined to roundabouts.

The one on Callumet was the first I've ever entered, I had no problem but, I do not like them.

The folks that benefit from roundabouts always say, "when people learn how to use them," but I'm not convinced that will happen. There will always be people that cannot learn or judge. Those people NEED a STOP sign.

When Diamond Collision had their open house a few months back, I asked them if snow or rain brought them more business. Allen and the Mrs. barely addressed the weather question, but immediately started talking of how they loved roundabouts for bringing in huge amounts of business.

120.gif
    What the heck does that mean?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The one on Callumet was the first I've ever entered, I had no problem but, I do not like them.

120.gif
    What the heck does that mean?
    Have you driven through the one at Laporte and Sturdy? Did you drive through the old triangle of stop signs and lights that used to be there?

The one up North at Calumet and Vale Park is the worst in Valpo by far.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I hate the multi-lane ones. I think my biggest problem is that I don't encounter them often, we have a couple single-lane ones around, but i rarely even have to use them. I drive to Lafayette once in a while, and I hate the roundabouts, especially if we are on motorcycles, there's just too much to watch out for.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'd rather take my chances and drive around a circle and exit onto the road I'm traveling than sit at a red light for literally 5 minutes.

Louisville: Hurstbourne and Linn-Station. Or really, Hurstborne and almost any cross-street. 5 minute lights. C'mon people. Figure 'em out. They're not that hard.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I hate them. Almost nobody understands how to drive on them. I avoid them as much as I can.

Stay out of Carmel, they recently finished their 100th and are building more!

https://www.curbed.com/2017/1/10/14207102/carmel-indiana-roundabouts

Carmel sued by City of Indianapolis over roundabouts | FOX59

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-01-05/welcome-carmel-indiana-roundabout-city-usa

I figure that the mayor thinks if he can keep everybody's head spinning they won't realize how much debt he is saddling them with!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Have you driven through the one at Laporte and Sturdy? Did you drive through the old triangle of stop signs and lights that used to be there?

The one up North at Calumet and Vale Park is the worst in Valpo by far.

Yes I did and had to get off to figure out where I was actually supposed to get off. Years ago but I do not remember much, just going to a job.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis

STOP signs are a total mystery to so many people. There is a large group that treats them as Yield signs, another large group acts like they aren't there, and then a smaller percentage understands what to do.

Fixed that for you.

I almost pounded on a Brownsburg PD's home door when a lady driver nearly creamed me while I was crossing the street since she does not understand those strange red signs. I kept running and watched her pull in,park, and go inside.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    One question about Roundabouts: What the heck is the school bus rule? When school was starting, one morning news show did a teaser but I never heard the article. Do school buses have precedence?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Fixed that for you.

I almost pounded on a Brownsburg PD's home door when a lady driver nearly creamed me while I was crossing the street since she does not understand those strange red signs. I kept running and watched her pull in,park, and go inside.
    Didn't you know that all Stop signs trimmed in white are optional?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A wise man once told me, "All the world's a roundabout."

That's interesting. Moslty in your lane, watch out for idiots, be polite, yield when necessary, exit gracefully. That's actually some solid worldy advice.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How are people supposed to know that they have to yield to semis unless there is a sign posted?

How do you know who goes first at a 4 way stop without a sign?

I love roundabouts. If you're doing it right, you hardly ever have to stop....if you are frequently stopping at a roundabout, you or the others or both are doing it wrong.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom