• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't mind roundabouts, and the ones in Terre Haute are fairly new. Lots of people complaining because they didn't know how to use them. Hell the first one in town was 5 minutes from my house and on a road that I use at least a couple of times per week......... but if I ever meet the idiot who redesigned the flow of 46 and put the roundabouts in........ I swear...... Lord have mercy on his soul!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I just enjoyed several roundabouts on my way home from work! Traffic was heavy, so I only got to scrape pegs a couple times, but it still beat the hell out of waiting at a stop sign or light.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I really like some of the Carmel ones. It is awesome to have a sort of pedestrian path/speed bump going in and out of the one on Rangeline at 126th St.

The new one at 116th and Hazel Dell is a treat with the unexpectedly sharp turn (that keeps you out of the roundabout, mind you) when turning east from northbound Hazel Dell. I'd think they could figure out some standardization by now, but clearly I am mistaken.

To be clear, I do like a well-implemented roundabout, other drivers aside, but I think the 116th St one has 4 lanes going "in" to it on each side. Two forced right-turns that yield to traffic exiting the roundabout and 2 that actually enter the roundabout.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't mind roundabouts, and the ones in Terre Haute are fairly new. Lots of people complaining because they didn't know how to use them. Hell the first one in town was 5 minutes from my house and on a road that I use at least a couple of times per week......... but if I ever meet the idiot who redesigned the flow of 46 and put the roundabouts in........ I swear...... Lord have mercy on his soul!

That mess with 46 just south of I-70 should result in everyone responsible being crucified. It's the most confusing maze of nonsense in west central Indiana.

Oh, and try leaving Burger King, McDonald's, or the Thornton's via the road that goes behind them and try . . . just try . . . to get on I-70 heading east.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Again, my complaint with the one on 42 is hitting the curbs on both sides at the same time when I drive the truck through the damned thing. Had it been designed by someone with the smallest modicum of sense that would not be an issue. At least I can do that much with the one on 46.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Roundabouts are easy to navigate, who thought this was a good idea? I remember hot wheels tracks designed like this but it was for entertainment purposes.

Attachments

• wtf.JPG
      wtf.JPG
      46.2 KB · Views: 21

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Roundabouts are easy to navigate, who thought this was a good idea? I remember hot wheels tracks designed like this but it was for entertainment purposes.
    Trust me, once you get the hang of it, the diverging diamond is great at improving traffic flow.

Contrasting to RAB:
    - use less surface area
    - are controlled via automated traffic control devices (i.e. stoplights) , so no more "one directions dominates the flow".
    - much easier to navigate for people afraid of RABs.

Like a RAB there's no left turns, just two points where traffic cris-crosses in a controlled manner.

If you're on that cross road, you'll only get stopped at one light.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Trust me, once you get the hang of it, the diverging diamond is great at improving traffic flow.

Contrasting to RAB:
    - use less surface area
    - are controlled via automated traffic control devices (i.e. stoplights) , so no more "one directionsdominates the flow".

Like a RAB there's no left turns, just two points where traffic cris-crosses in a controlled manner.

The bolded statement seems ambiguous.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Contrasting to RAB:
    - use less surface area
    - are controlled via automated traffic control devices (i.e. stoplights) , so no more "one directions dominates the flow".

I seem to always get stopped by both lights on Dupont over 69 when going straight through. Usually only stopped at 1 when making a left off of 69 (seem to be timed to let you get through both lights).

I don't really mind these. Other than being "weird" they seem to work ok. kinda comical when you are behind someone who's obviously never seen one before, you can tell they are like "WTH?" as they cautiously creep out onto the left side of the road.

They seem to like putting these at highway interchanges.. I still think cloverleaves are best, but when they don't have the room to do that, these aren't a bad second-best...

-rvb

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I seem to always get stopped by both lights on Dupont over 69 when going straight through. Usually only stopped at 1 when making a left off of 69 (seem to be timed to let you get through both lights).

I don't really mind these. Other than being "weird" they seem to work ok. kinda comical when you are behind someone who's obviously never seen one before, you can tell they are like "WTH?" as they cautiously creep out onto the left side of the road.

They seem to like putting these at highway interchanges.. I still think cloverleaves are best, but when they don't have the room to do that, these aren't a bad second-best...

-rvb

I used to live off Dupont road 20 years ago. Went back to visit after Christmas and had one of those WTF moments. Holy **** that area exploded. It was mostly just fields back in the day.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I used to live off Dupont road 20 years ago. Went back to visit after Christmas and had one of those WTF moments. Holy **** that area exploded. It was mostly just fields back in the day.

they're preparing to make DuPont 4 lanes (2 ea direction) all the way to lima, work is starting soon... got flags in the ground...

we moved into the area 9 yrs ago. wife commented she liked it wasn't too over-developed, and I said "wait 10 yrs." well... here we are, and it's growing like crazy....

-rvb

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Little bit off the RAB topic but still similar conversation.

There was an article in the paper this morning that a guy told Leo that the reason he rear ended a car sitting at the traffic light was because he was combing his hair. Chain reaction involved four cars.

Mother Nature took that distraction away from me.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    that's the one I was complaining about above that makes you exit onto I69N from the inside lane... That's caused me a few close calls. With the camper in tow, I won't go that way any more... Coldwater up to Auburn, then over to 69...

-rvb

Motorcyclist killed after crash in roundabout identified | WANE
    http://www.wpta21.com/story/3582707...list-involved-in-thursday-morning-fatal-crash

I don't have more details, but there's a cross there now.

Young guy, motorcycle, late at night, no other vehicles... Dude must have been flying through there, and probably without any protective gear (just a guess from "blunt force head trauma" and anecdotal statistics).

In the winter, I laid mine down in one of those roundabouts (too fast on cold tires), but the only thing I hurt was my pride.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    that's sad.
    I never used round-abouts as places to scrub off the sides of the tires....
    too much debris and oil etc along with too much to slide into on the outside in terms of curbs and signs. they always made me nervous.

Top Bottom