• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have good one that I bought and used for about a couple weeks before my ISP sent me a new one with our upgraded service.

If you are interested, it's still listed in the INGO classifieds.

:facepalm:

Maybe I should have just started a new thread.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Udate: Just installed a couple of these. They work well.
    https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Wireles...UTF8&qid=1509652728&sr=8-2&keywords=rt-ac1200

Frys is selling them for $50 plus $10 rebate. It appers to be an older model.

This is the new one:

https://www.amazon.com/RT-ACRH13-Du...pID=41XjwZQZ6RL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Edit:
    The plus side is they have a dedicated AP mode. (wireless to wired converter network, no router functions) That makes it easier than normal to extend coverage. So for instance if you cant get full coverage all over the house, install one connected to your ISP on the first floor as a router, then put one each upstairs and downstairs in AP mode with an ethernet cable running from the router to each.

Last edited:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Bump for current recommendations.

I am about to dump Brighthouse and go with ATT 25mbs internet service (only other option at our house), Sling, and a Roku (we have Netflix and amazon prime as well). Will be using OTA antenna for locals. Son does online gaming on PS4 (Fortnite mostly ).

Given the limited speed speed of ATT internet I’m thinking I don’t need a top of the line router.

The current modem/router device from Brighthouse (Motorola) is on 3rd floor of our house and we get good WiFi coverage on all 3 levels.

What say say the INGO tech folks for our needs?

TIA

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    Bump for current recommendations.

I am about to dump Brighthouse and go with ATT 25mbs internet service (only other option at our house), Sling, and a Roku (we have Netflix and amazon prime as well). Will be using OTA antenna for locals. Son does online gaming on PS4 (Fortnite mostly ).

Given the limited speed speed of ATT internet I’m thinking I don’t need a top of the line router.

The current modem/router device from Brighthouse (Motorola) is on 3rd floor of our house and we get good WiFi coverage on all 3 levels.

What say say the INGO tech folks for our needs?

TIA

Google WiFi. Depending on the size of your house you can purchase more than one and they will work together. It has good family controls, web filtering, and a good dashboard to see who's using the bandwidth and how much each device has consumed. Highly recommend them.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I went with an ASUS RT-AC66U because it was supposed to work well (read: no special interaction/port settings required) with consoles and the ports they need for gaming/chat/etc. Of course, we also have 3 XBones in the house, so that may not be as big a requirement for you. I'm using it in front of the ATT home networking device they "provide" and it has been great. All of the Xboxes show open and no chat issues for any of them or between them when playing together.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Its a combo router/modem provided (for a big fee) from Spectrum. It goes away when I cancel their service.

I have an apple router, for years - never a problem. In the past I have had netgear and linksys. All are good but my fav is the Apple followed by Netgear. I would think any one would be good...all will handle speed well; just make sure the signal is strong.

My personal take on google wifi? Trash it. Google already monitors everything you do, don't give them more access to your privacy by seeing everything that goes in and out of your computer. Apple or Netgear.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you only have one, get a plunge. However, I keep a plunge for freehand and a fixed base for permanent mount in the router table.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for the Asus routers. I prefer them to Linksys now. And they are pretty brain dead to configure as an AP when you need to add another "antenna" to another part of the house to boost the signal.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Last edited:

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    I've been in IT for 20+ years. Have been through enough of the netgear, Linksys, dlink, Asus, etc. All are about the same as discussing jif or Skippy peanut butter. If they are properly set up they will be sort of OK.
    But you have to add other stuff to make it tasty.
    The company I work for installs a lot of ubiquiti equipment. Love the aclite plus cloud key. Good small business solution.
    For home, a picostation m2 or Nani station m2 are plenty . I run a Pico. It's a good unit once you set it up. Covered most of my 5 acres from being mounted on the 2ND floor of my house.

Top Bottom