• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. History lesson! Witness the fiascos known as the 10/22 magnum and the aborted 10/17. OTOH, they are still selling 'em as fast as they can make 'em!
    I'll give them a pass on the magnum.
    That round is incredibly difficult to build in a blowback. Its been around since the 1960s. If it were possible to make a reliable semi auto WMR, there would be a lot more out there. Like many others, they tried and failed.

Hell even the PMR30 barely works when you only feed it 40gr maxi mags. The manual even says that is the only recommended round to use.

Even then it has its fits I have heard.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    CM, they can be made to work although the longer WMR round can be an issue. I've had several 10/22Ms over the years. Just sold one which didn't get shot much but the one I now have runs like a top. Recoil and hammer springs have been swapped for stronger versions to accommodate .17HMR when the barrels get swapped. Both rounds run flawlessly. Green Mountain WMR and Clark Custom HMR barrel. They HMR does require regular cleaning of the chamber. I consider it a a user issue rather than a problem with the gun. A boresnake does the job about every 50 rds. Nothing going on with the WMR version that Ruger couldn't have fixed or prevented.

I recently acquired a S&W M&P .22 WMR. It feeds and shoots very well but I'm having an intermittent issue with the trigger not wanting to reset. Feels like there are parts that just haven't learned to work together. I'm told the triggers are 3D printed and it's a common problem with some Smiths if/when the printer gets slightly out of spec. :dunno: I'm thinking it will work itself out. The muzzle flash makes it very clear you're shooting a round meant for a rifle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    20230403_213841.jpg
    Mine is pretty simple. Started life as a regular stainless 10-22 (i think). I added the folding stock, tech sights, and then about any VQ part that could be added on the internals probably has. It's been a great little rifle for me.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'll give them a pass on the magnum.
    That round is incredibly difficult to build in a blowback. Its been around since the 1960s. If it were possible to make a reliable semi auto WMR, there would be a lot more out there. Like many others, they tried and failed.

Hell even the PMR30 barely works when you only feed it 40gr maxi mags. The manual even says that is the only recommended round to use.

I wonder how 22mag works in an AR-15 gas system? Does anyone shoot those uppers?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

The manual actually lists a few more than maxi mags, hornady varmit and critical defense run great in mine! I did find that you have to be careful loading the mags and mine has been a lot more reliable after a thousand or so rounds.

One thing I did figure out, the manual says “no foreign made ammo” but my pmr loves the fiochi 40 grain ammo!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The manual actually lists a few more than maxi mags, hornady varmit and critical defense run great in mine! I did find that you have to be careful loading the mags and mine has been a lot more reliable after a thousand or so rounds.

One thing I did figure out, the manual says “no foreign made ammo” but my pmr loves the fiochi 40 grain ammo!
    Cool. Sounds like they figured out what else worked. I recall when they first released it they said to only use 40s and may have even specifically called out the lighter grain bullet was a definite no-go.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Cool. Sounds like they figured out what else worked. I recall when they first released it they said to only use 40s and may have even specifically called out the lighter grain bullet was a definite no-go.
    Actually I’ve had mine for about 10 years I think (I’d Have to check the receipt to know for sure), but I think they only suggested about 4 or 5 kinds of ammo, I don’t shoot mine that often but when I do it’s a lot of fun!

A friend has one and did a throat polish and buffed the rails and he said his would even feed the cheap silver box Winchester ammo (I think the manual said not to use that).

It’s a finicky gun, but watching the look on people’s faces when the fireball explodes out the front of the barrel is priceless!

Top Bottom