• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. RUGER®SP101®revolvers returned to the factory for repair should be sent to: Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc., Customer Service Department, 411 Sunapee St., Newport, New Hampshire 03773. NOTE: You must obtain a Repair Authorization Number before returning your firearm. An authorization number can be obtained by contacting Customer Service online at www.ruger.com or calling the Customer Service Dept. at 603-865-2442. Guns should be sent prepaid. We will not accept collect shipments. (from the manual)
    2. See above.
    3. Wolf springs makes kits.
    4. Looks can be deceiving.
    5. Not just a .22 issue. People put in lighter springs for a lighter pull and sometimes it causes issues.

Call and talk to a human being at Ruger.
    Send it back to them. Those strikes look plenty deep but they're rounded on the outer edges enough to possibly give you primer rim strike issues.
    Not sure it's a spring strike issue as much as it's the area and shape of the strike on the shells.

1. Nowhere locally to get this checked out?
    2. I know there are so many rules about sending a handgun through the mail (even if that is legal) or UPS/FedEX.
    3. I have read about how to pack a gun online before trying to figure out the maze of rules of what you can and can't do, and I just went to a dealer I've dealt with and had him do it for me: yes, I'm that sad. :dunno:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Call and talk to a human being at Ruger.
    Send it back to them. Those strikes look plenty deep but they're rounded on the outer edges enough to possibly give you primer rim strike issues.
    Not sure it's a spring strike issue as much as it's the area and shape of the strike on the shells.

Yep, could be jacked up firing pin as well.

1. Nowhere locally to get this checked out?
    2. I know there are so many rules about sending a handgun through the mail (even if that is legal) or UPS/FedEX.
    3. I have read about how to pack a gun online before trying to figure out the maze of rules of what you can and can't do, and I just went to a dealer I've dealt with and had him do it for me: yes, I'm that sad. :dunno:

Ruger would likely send you a prepaid label, etc with instructions. Should be pretty easy. Call them, and see what they say before going elsewhere.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I called Ruger.
    I have a choice of sending it back myself or going through a dealer.
    If you go through a dealer you have to pay for a transfer fee ($25) and fill out paperwork like you were buying a gun, plus pay the dealer $25 for the privilege.
    Then you have shipping charges of $35 - $50, so it will be $85 - $100 to go through a dealer.
    Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield suggested I go to a gunsmith and suggested the place in Noblesville: ZR Tactical
    I have had Zack repair a GSG 1911-22, and bought a GSG with $500 of upgrades and even bought a Beretta Nano he had as a trade back when I was wanting to try one out.

I took my Ruger SP100 over to him and he checked it out and said words that I don't remember like transfer bar, trigger and etc being fine.
    He did suggest that the "strikes" seemed a tad too far out so as to not be catching/igniting the primer, but that was hard to tell since it "looked" OK.
    He did not think it was simple springs or alignment, but something really off that Ruger should deal with.
    I asked him if it might need a new cylinder, and other dumb questions.

Apparently he uses the same Cajun $300 kit I hear being talked about and charges $100 to install it.
    He had a gun like my CZ 75 B Omega Convertible for sale on the wall that he had upgraded with those parts for $675.
    I pulled the trigger in double action (nice) and then in S/A = sweeeet!!
    I probably should buy his upgraded 75 and sell mine b/c if I add $400 (parts and labor) to mine, I would have nearly $900 in it, whereas there was his on the wall for $675 and I usually get him to come down $50 when I have bought something off him, which just reduces the taxes.
    Apparently he does all the upgrades I read about there in the shop.
    He mentioned he does special custom jobs for $5000: I can't fathom!
    He still had that SS Kimber .22LR there that I lusted after last year, and that Browning I went over to buy was still there (way too small for the hand), and I ended up buying the upgrades GSG at the time.
    If I understand what Ruger was telling me, if I send it to them directly, and they send it back to the same address (where I must sign for it), it would save me paying $25 to a dealer for him to package it up and save the Transfer fee of $25.
    Could my wife sign for it?

Can anyone give me the short "how to" pack up a gun and whether it makes a difference where to take it?
    It was my understanding an individual couldn't send a gun through the mail, but had to use UPS/FedEx?

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I called Ruger.
    I have a choice of sending it back myself or going through a dealer.
    If you go through a dealer you have to pay for a transfer fee ($25) and fill out paperwork like you were buying a gun, plus pay the dealer $25 for the privilege.
    Then you have shipping charges of $35 - $50, so it will be $85 - $100 to go through a dealer.
    Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield suggested I go to a gunsmith and suggested the place in Noblesville: ZR Tactical
    I have had Zack repair a GSG 1911-22, and bought a GSG with $500 of upgrades and even bought a Beretta Nano he had as a trade back when I was wanting to try one out.

I took my Ruger SP100 over to him and he checked it out and said words that I don't remember like transfer bar, trigger and etc being fine.
    He did suggest that the "strikes" seemed a tad too far out so as to not be catching/igniting the primer, but that was hard to tell since it "looked" OK.
    He did not think it was simple springs or alignment, but something really off that Ruger should deal with.
    I asked him if it might need a new cylinder, and other dumb questions.

Apparently he uses the same Cajun $300 kit I hear being talked about and charges $100 to install it.
    He had a gun like my CZ 75 B Omega Convertible for sale on the wall that he had upgraded with those parts for $675.
    I pulled the trigger in double action (nice) and then in S/A = sweeeet!!
    I probably should buy his upgraded 75 and sell mine b/c if I add $400 (parts and labor) to mine, I would have nearly $900 in it, whereas there was his on the wall for $675 and I usually get him to come down $50 when I have bought something off him, which just reduces the taxes.
    Apparently he does all the upgrades I read about there in the shop.
    He mentioned he does special custom jobs for $5000: I can't fathom!
    He still had that SS Kimber .22LR there that I lusted after last year, and that Browning I went over to buy was still there (way too small for the hand), and I ended up buying the upgrades GSG at the time.
    If I understand what Ruger was telling me, if I send it to them directly, and they send it back to the same address (where I must sign for it), it would save me paying $25 to a dealer for him to package it up and save the Transfer fee of $25.
    Could my wife sign for it?

Can anyone give me the short "how to" pack up a gun and whether it makes a difference where to take it?
    It was my understanding an individual couldn't send a gun through the mail, but had to use UPS/FedEx?

For my S&W I had the orginal box but you only need a sturdy box to hold it. Pack it so it doesn't rattle around in the box. I packaged it up, took it to FedEX, gave it to the man and he sent it to S&W. You must declare to the clerk that it is a firearm so don't drop it in a dropbox.

Ruger will send it back to you via fedex and you must be present to sign for it.

I don't know how Ruger does it, but it didn't cost me a dime to send mine into S&W. S&W sent me the shipping return label and a return merchandise label/number.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and just because a guy can put parts in a gun doesn't make him a gunsmith. Heck I could put all the Cajun goodies in a CZ and I don't even own one. If you are going to go down that rabbit hole, you owe it to yourself to at least talk to the "Wizard" before you make a decision. He is a nice guy and as I understand it, is very knowledgeable about all things CZ.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wow, I'm surprised Ruger isn't taking care of it (prepaid shipping label) for you. It might be worth calling back and asserting yourself with them a bit. I'd also not necessarily mention that you are or aren't the original owner.

Oh, and I know someone gave you contact info in a previous post, but this phone number appears to be different, plus there is a web contact form as well. I wouldn't be afraid to push them a bit (politely) on getting a prepaid label to send it back.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/customerService/

Revolver service specifically:
    [h=1]Customer Service - Newport, NH[/h] Service inquires for Shotguns, Revolvers, 22 Charger Pistols and all Rifles except SR-556, SR-762, AR-556, Ruger American Rimfire and PC4/PC9 Carbines manufactured prior to 2007. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    Customer Service Department

411 Sunapee Street
    Newport, NH 03773
    Telephone: 336-949-5200 / Fax: 603-863-6165
    (Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm ET)

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For my S&W I had the orginal box but you only need a sturdy box to hold it. Pack it so it doesn't rattle around in the box. I packaged it up, took it to FedEX, gave it to the man and he sent it to S&W. You must declare to the clerk that it is a firearm so don't drop it in a dropbox.
    Ruger will send it back to you via fedex and you must be present to sign for it.

1. Can my wife sign for it?

I don't know how Ruger does it, but it didn't cost me a dime to send mine into S&W. S&W sent me the shipping return label and a return merchandise label/number.
    Hope this helps.

2. It was over 2 yrs. old (Sept. 2013) so Ruger said I had to pay to get it there.

Oh, and just because a guy can put parts in a gun doesn't make him a gunsmith. Heck I could put all the Cajun goodies in a CZ and I don't even own one. If you are going to go down that rabbit hole, you owe it to yourself to at least talk to the "Wizard" before you make a decision. He is a nice guy and as I understand it, is very knowledgeable about all things CZ.

3. I know nothing about it, but that's how he earns his living, so I suppose he knows how to do it.
    4. It sounds like the Wizard goes beyond the norm and does that extra that noone else does, and if he specializes in CZ that would give him an edge over someone who upgrades any and every brand.
    5. I don't feel compelled to go down the upgrade rabbit hole at this time, but there being one on the shelf did give me pause.

Wow, I'm surprised Ruger isn't taking care of it (prepaid shipping label) for you. It might be worth calling back and asserting yourself with them a bit. I'd also not necessarily mention that you are or aren't the original owner.

6. They didn't ask and I didn't volunteer that I wasn't the original owner.

Oh, and I know someone gave you contact info in a previous post, but this phone number appears to be different, plus there is a web contact form as well. I wouldn't be afraid to push them a bit (politely) on getting a prepaid label to send it back.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/customerService/

Revolver service specifically:
    Customer Service - Newport, NH

Service inquires for Shotguns, Revolvers, 22 Charger Pistols and all Rifles except SR-556, SR-762, AR-556, Ruger American Rimfire and PC4/PC9 Carbines manufactured prior to 2007. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    Customer Service Department

411 Sunapee Street
    Newport, NH 03773
    Telephone: 336-949-5200 / Fax: 603-863-6165
    (Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm ET)

7. Thanks for giving me this info, the number I called was different but the address was the same.
    8. I'll give it another try tomorrow!

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    3. I know nothing about it, but that's how he earns his living, so I suppose he knows how to do it.
    4. It sounds like the Wizard goes beyond the norm and does that extra that noone else does, and if he specializes in CZ that would give him an edge over someone who upgrades any and every brand.
    5. I don't feel compelled to go down the upgrade rabbit hole at this time, but there being one on the shelf did give me pause.

7. Thanks for giving me this info, the number I called was different but the address was the same.
    8. I'll give it another try tomorrow!

Good luck. If they don't offer, I'd just ask them straight up if they would provide a label as it is a significant expense for you to ship it.

LARRY1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    i had a single shot revolver a long time ago that did the same thing and i discovered the frame had cracked where the rear sight is dovetailed into the frame. my father in law took the gun to get it fixed and i never seen it again? dont know what happened to it!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wanted to send it in yesterday, but too busy shopping for a Subaru Forester (maybe a Honda CR-V) to ship it.
    Hope to send it today, but have a busy Ziebart day with 2 cars.
    The small-time dealer I'm dealing with close to my house said he'd help me send it back (not charging me any fee, just the FFL fee), but I have to get over there before he closes today.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Took it to Ryan at D&R Firearms (very very very small shop inside an electronic repair store).
    Since he's close to my house I use him (only twice) as an FFL to send handguns to if I buy online.
    I look for the small owner, I guess, b/c I have had friends with small businesses and sympathize.

After my Ziebart outings at 8am and 12pm I was able to get to the shop before it closed and he will get the Ruger SP100 sent off.

I'll have to show pics of my roadster on a thread somewhere.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got a call today from Ryan and D & R Firearms who I had do the leg work in sending a Ruger SP100 back to them for repair b/c it wouldn't fire all the rounds in a chamber, but it was striking the rim of each round.
    Ruger called him to let him know that the SP100 .22LR revolver was beyond repair. (I had traded for it, thinking I had traded up)
    I was surprised! I thought they might have to throw another cylinder in it, but beyond repair? huge surprise!
    Well, I thought: this is going to be quite the loss, I was feeling the pain.
    Ruger said they were under no legal obligation to do anything, but told Ryan to ask me if I would accept a brand new gun as a substitute.
    I accepted, with gratitude.
    S/W has my respect; they didn't have to do that.

School starting up is always quite the spike in stress, so this was a very good thing.
    Finding a sweet buy on a Subaru Forester for the wife 2 weekends ago (which we both love after 4 decades of Corollas) and then finding a buyer here for my wife's Corolla in a week, was also another good thing.

All this is quite unsettling to my usual boring life. :rofl:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Got a call today from Ryan and D & R Firearms who I had do the leg work in sending a Ruger SP100 back to them for repair b/c it wouldn't fire all the rounds in a chamber, but it was striking the rim of each round.
    Ruger called him to let him know that the SP100 .22LR revolver was beyond repair. (I had traded for it, thinking I had traded up)
    I was surprised! I thought they might have to throw another cylinder in it, but beyond repair? huge surprise!
    Ruger said they were under no legal obligation to do anything, but told Ryan to ask me if I would accept a brand new gun as a substitute.

School starting up is always quite the spike in stress, so this was a very good thing.
    Finding a sweet buy on a Subaru Forester for the wife 2 weekends ago (which we both love after 4 decades of Corollas) and then finding a buyer here for my wife's Corolla in a week, was also another good thing.

Something here does not make sense? :n00b:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

1. Too good to be true?
    2. I should be suspicious?
    3. I have heard of people getting a whole new gun when theirs was in for repairs before: which I always thought was way too good to be true!
    4. I figured they were going to charge $200 to fix an "unfixable" gun instead of sending me a whole new one!

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    1. Too good to be true?
    3. I have heard of people getting a whole new gun when theirs was in for repairs before: which I always thought was way too good to be true!
    4. I figured they were going to charge $200 to fix an "unfixable" gun instead of sending me a whole new one!

Reread what you posted, paying close attention to the bold text.

Maybe now you could understand the confusion.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    1. Too good to be true?

what we are referring to is your nod to S&W when you’re working on a Ruger.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Reread what you posted, paying close attention to the bold text.

Maybe now you could understand the confusion.

what we are referring to is your nod to S&W when you’re working on a Ruger.

1. Well, aren't I a blooming idiot?!
    2. Did I mention the stress of a new school year beginning?
    3. That truly is the oddest thing. I've heard of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing, but it seems I have taken it to new heights.
    4. Thanks for pointing it out, it's actually the funniest thing of the day!
    5. I now I'm going to bed so I can wake up with perhaps some of my brains back. :rofl:

Top Bottom